"Operational Stop" in China flight...

tgmtgm

Hoping the knowledgeable fliers on here can help me with answer without calling the airline. 😬

Booked a great business class fare on Xiamen Air for a Gate1 China tour w/a 4 day Yangtze cruise next April. The outbound flight is LAX-TAO with a 1.5 hour operational stop before continuing on TAO-XMN. Flight no. (858) and aircraft (787-9) remain the same on the second leg. Will I have to clear customs and immigration during that stop or in Xiamen?

Thanks for any insight.

Tony

Since OP is doing a Yangtze River Cruise, I'm sure he has all the needed documentation for the extended stay in China. An operational stop could be for refueling or for the initial entry immigration screening. Either way it shouldn't be a problem. Are you concerned about the short duration of the stop? If you are screened, so is everyone else.

I am not sure, but chances are if the stop is not just for fuel, you will clear customs and immigration there and then re-board the airplane. Or they will just stop for fuel and head out without letting anyone onto the airplane only off.

Either way, you'll clear in one of the two airports.

Since OP is doing a Yangtze River Cruise, I'm sure he has all the needed documentation for the extended stay in China. An operational stop could be for refueling or for the initial entry immigration screening. Either way it shouldn't be a problem. Are you concerned about the short duration of the stop? If you are screened, so is everyone else.

Yes, China visa has been secured, so documentation isn't a concern. I'm just wondering if I'll have to claim my luggage and recheck, or just an immigration procedure. Not too worried about the 1.5 hour duration.

Thanks.

Yes, China visa has been secured, so documentation isn't a concern. I'm just wondering if I'll have to claim my luggage and recheck, or just an immigration procedure. Not too worried about the 1.5 hour duration.

Thanks.

Not certain where you will clear customs. I have never done one of these technical stops on a flight into China.

When I have traveled to China on a Canadian passport, I find all the details are sorted out ahead of time when you apply for the visa. Landing in China, they simply pull the visa details up on the computer confirm you are match and send you on your way. I suspect a US passport would be similar.

Not certain where you will clear customs. I have never done one of these technical stops on a flight into China.

When I have traveled to China on a Canadian passport, I find all the details are sorted out ahead of time when you apply for the visa. Landing in China, they simply pull the visa details up on the computer confirm you are match and send you on your way. I suspect a US passport would be similar.

I just got back earlier from China this month, US Passport. It's not the immigration check, its the line to get there like any other airport. Couple of jumbos in front of you and you're in line for half an hour minimum.

Please complete your Arrival Form on the airplane, saves you time in the long run.

They scan your passport info page, look at you, look at the picture on the computer, look at the picture on your passport, repeat, stamp, stamp and your done.

An operational stop is most likely for fueling or crew change and you may be able to stay on the plane or be directed to take your carry-on items and head to a secured transit lounge. As its 90 minutes I doubt that they would do customs there and it makes more sense to do customs at your final destination.

I would call the airline or travel agent to see how the process works. Perhaps if you do immigration at your first stop the lines wont be as long.

If this is a true "technical stop", then there will be no new passengers joining for the next leg of the trip, nor will any passengers from LAX be leaving the flight. But, if people are joining the flight, how will officials at the final stop be able to differentiate between those taking a "domestic" flight and those who are "international" (boarded in Los Angeles).

Seems that MF (Xiamen) is selling the TAO-XMN segment, so this isn't a purely technical stop. I suspect that all passengers will have to leave the aircraft, process through Chinese immigration and reboard for the domestic segment. What the process for baggage is, I have no idea.

I believe that the use of "operational stop" is intended to cover any number of items, as it is not a term of art in the industry.

Also, since you didn't specify a date in April, I took a random one in the middle of the month. It shows a 1:50 connection time, not 1.5 hours.

And, of course, the ultimate answer is to check with the airline directly.

If this is a true "technical stop", then there will be no new passengers joining for the next leg of the trip, nor will any passengers from LAX be leaving the flight. But, if people are joining the flight, how will officials at the final stop be able to differentiate between those taking a "domestic" flight and those who are "international" (boarded in Los Angeles).

Seems that MF (Xiamen) is selling the TAO-XMN segment, so this isn't a purely technical stop. I suspect that all passengers will have to leave the aircraft, process through Chinese immigration and reboard for the domestic segment. What the process for baggage is, I have no idea.

I believe that the use of "operational stop" is intended to cover any number of items, as it is not a term of art in the industry.

Also, since you didn't specify a date in April, I took a random one in the middle of the month. It shows a 1:50 connection time, not 1.5 hours.

And, of course, the ultimate answer is to check with the airline directly.

April 26th is departure date. Sorry about the stop time- it is indeed 1 hour 50 minutes. Just laziness on my part in not laying it out correctly.

I've flown dozens of international flights, but never one involving an "operational stop", hence the confusion. If as you say the ongoing flight is being marketed as a stand alone flight, then rational thought would suggest that those passengers who boarded in LAX would be required to clear at least immigration. Looks like the luggage question will have to be answered by the airline.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

Tony