Can You Take a Mini Stapler Through Security?

OceansOfTravels

Hello,

I will be flying out for my cruise early Saturday morning. In the past, I have brought a small roll of tape and secured the cruise line luggage tags on my suitcase after I got it from baggage claim in my embarkation city,. but I cannot find my small tape roll, all I can find is a small stapler, and ironically, staples are more ideal for the luggage tags. Will I be able to take it through TSA security in my bag, or should I play it safe and keep it in my luggage, and open my luggage once I retrieve it in Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks in advance!

I checked the TSA list and it is not listed. You probably could take it on board but it would be easier just to place it in your checked luggage.

If you have time before your flight tomorrow why not just pick up some more tape.

Have a great flight and cruise.

Keith

A few years back you used to get "Proper" luggage tags - thin but very strong plastic that loops through itself. I kept them and for our last 6 or so cruises I just staple the paper one to it. Has the advantage that it can be fixed quickly at the dock or airport if

your bags go straight to the ship. On return you just remove the

paper and re use. Gueass at some point they will fail due to the

staple holes but good for a while yet.

I checked the TSA list and it is not listed. You probably could take it on board but it would be easier just to place it in your checked luggage.

If you have time before your flight tomorrow why not just pick up some more tape.

Have a great flight and cruise.

Keith

7AM flight, so a 4AM wake up, so I do not think I can. I will likely just bring the mini stapler with me. Thank you! :)

A few years back you used to get "Proper" luggage tags - thin but very strong plastic that loops through itself. I kept them and for our last 6 or so cruises I just staple the paper one to it. Has the advantage that it can be fixed quickly at the dock or airport if

your bags go straight to the ship. On return you just remove the

paper and re use. Gueass at some point they will fail due to the

staple holes but good for a while yet.

I m familiar with what you're talking about, I never received any though. They sound very convenient. I know many people now buy the reusable plastic ones that are actually made for cruise luggage tags, I have considered investing in one, maybe I will sometime soon. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

The porter should have a mini stapler or something to tape your luggage tags on. If you laminated the tags and ask the porter to help you to affix it as anyways you are tipping them I am sure they should not have any problems doing it.

We forgot to affix our tags and the porter had the means to do so. In the worst possible case you could stop by a hotel and ask if you can borrow a stapler to affix the tags.

I would not risk bringing a mini stapler in my carry on bag.

If you are talking about something like this, you can 100% absolutely take one through security. It is not considered a tool or a dangerous item. It weights under 2 ounces and easily fits in the palm of your hand. Your car keys are more dangerous.

https://www.amazon.com/Swingline-Stapler-Remover-Assorted-S7079141/dp/B00006IFLD