Great price for Europe! Question on Ams connectionalready gotten seat

mina

we moved our Mediterranean cruise up to may 2018 instead of august due to the great princess air price! We fly delta from Phx to JFK to Fco with a 4.5 hour layover in jfk. We return from ATH to AMS arriving at 8:30 am in AMS on klm connecting to delta at 10:00 am to SLC then on to Phx. We have a 90 min connection in AMS. I know that is tight. But the economy airfare with comfort plus on both airlines was only $800 a person round trip. I have selected seats in bulkhead on all flights, so am upfront in the economy cabin. I checked the ATH flight on time stats and it is on time 95 percent of the time. I know that we will need to go thru passport control in AMS. Besides walking fast, suggestions/tips for making the AMS connection? We will not be checking bags, so not worried about bags getting transferred and it's all on one ticket.

Mentally prepare for a immigration check and a later centralized security check. In addition, some people may go through an additional security check at the actual gate. The gate that will shown on the airport screen for your flight to the US will be the centralized security "gate". Your actual departure gate could be a long walk from there.

We were through there a few weeks ago....fortunately we had a lot of time. Our flight from Krakow had been held up on the ground for nearly two hours due to fog in AMS and a wait for a landing slot time. The transfer lines for people with missed flights were horrendously long. Lines at immigration and the Security gate were not long. I've seen worse at immigration there, but nothing that would take enormous amounts of time.

I like transferring in AMS, it's well organized and things generally move. Ninety minutes is usually doable with no hiccups. If things do go sideways, DL has many flights to the US from AMS.

Thank you both. I appreciate the insight on the double security and gates. That will help us know what to expect. We wanted an overnight in Amsterdam, but could not get it through princess air. So we will do our best to get through in the 90 mins, but if the flight to ams is delayed and we miss the connection, will ask for a flight the next day.

That is a good price for Delta Comfort+. Actually to avoid the AMS US centralized security and immigration line mayhem my Father and I are staying in Amsterdam for 4 nights after our cruise then we will fly onto Keflavik for another 4 nights and fly to San Francisco via Seattle on Iceland Air.

90 minutes should be more than enough time and sometimes your flight may depart later to account for any delays. You can try using the Fast Track Transfer line as that can speed up the process.

Good luck!

if the flight to ams is delayed and we miss the connection, will ask for a flight the next day.

You can ask, but the rebooking is at the discretion of the KL agent. In general, it is policy to move passengers along in the system as expeditiously as possible. If there is a routing that same day, you will almost always be placed there - if only because moving you to tomorrow means you're taking up a spot they might need then, to reaccomodate any folks that have problems tomorrow.

If you do miss and the next day flight is ok with you, it might be something you could mention...I imagine in some instances the agent might welcome the information that you are somewhat flexible with regard to when you leave AMS, if it makes their job easier on rebooking people.