Bermuda Docking - Port or Starboard?

Alex of the Seas

Planning a cruise and wondering which side of the ship will be dockside. It's an overnighter, so would like to get a cabin facing the island. It's the Carnival Sunshine but I doubt that enters into the equation. Do all ships using King's Wharf pull in the same, or is it whatever the prevailing conditions are? Here at Port Canaveral, it is always the same side used for docking. Thanks much!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Planning a cruise and wondering which side of the ship will be dockside. It's an overnighter, so would like to get a cabin facing the island. It's the Carnival Sunshine but I doubt that enters into the equation. Do all ships using King's Wharf pull in the same, or is it whatever the prevailing conditions are? Here at Port Canaveral, it is always the same side used for docking. Thanks much!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

How the ship docks is up to the Captain and the Harbor Master. I have been to Bermuda many times and have been docked both ways. You will have a great view no matter what side is on the pier.

There really is no way to know until you get there. For the ships that do weekly trips, even they change sides depending on needs. With that said, the view of the Dockyard really isn't that spectacular. I'd rather look at the water.

Bermuda is nothing like the Caribbean (seen one port/seen them all). The Dockyard is a manufactured area, specifically for cruise ships. You might see the "mall", from a distance, and parts of the museum, but not much in the way of local stuff.

Bermuda is nothing like the Caribbean (seen one port/seen them all). The Dockyard is a manufactured area, specifically for cruise ships. You might see the "mall", from a distance, and parts of the museum, but not much in the way of local stuff.

I'm surprised you see Caribbean ports as as "seen one seen them all" Bermuda, I know it's not Caribbean, overlooks an old fort. Barbados overlooks an industrial dock and city. Dominica looks directly into the capital city. St Marteen, a beach and bay. San Juan a panoramic city view. I enjoyed the sights pulling into different Caribbean ports.

To the OP, as many have said it's luck of the draw as far as what side your balcony will face. Either way I think you will be happy with your view. If you are not facing the port, you can see other parts of the island across the bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check out Port Bermuda Webcam dot com. Great shots of the Dockyard and the camera is usually panning across both ships when there are ships docked. It varies all the time which way they moor. I watch the Norwegian Breakaway fairly often, comes in on Wednesday mornings and leaves on Friday afternoon and it seems almost a 50/50 split which way they dock.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Check out Port Bermuda Webcam dot com. Great shots of the Dockyard and the camera is usually panning across both ships when there are ships docked. It varies all the time which way they moor. I watch the Norwegian Breakaway fairly often, comes in on Wednesday mornings and leaves on Friday afternoon and it seems almost a 50/50 split which way they dock.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bermuda webcam

Something I wish I had known beforehand for anyone docking in Hamilton is that (I believe) it's always nose to the ferry stop. I would have booked a starboard cabin if I had known that. I think it's only HAL that still goes into Hamilton.

Something I wish I had known beforehand for anyone docking in Hamilton is that (I believe) it's always nose to the ferry stop. I would have booked a starboard cabin if I had known that. I think it's only HAL that still goes into Hamilton.

I've docked in Hamilton many times and honestly I don't recall whether every ship docked with its bow facing the ferry terminal...maybe they did, but It's not something that I paid attention to. Personally, assuming that is true, I would want a cabin on the port side so that I had a harbor view and wasn't directly exposed to the street noise in Hamilton, but it's just a matter of personal preference.

Many cruise lines still dock in Hamilton...I did a quick count and came up with about 10 different cruise lines docking there in addition to Holland America, but the other ships were there once or at most twice during 2017, with HAL's Veendam the only semi-regular caller with 6 cruises.

I've docked in Hamilton many times and honestly I don't recall whether every ship docked with its bow facing the ferry terminal...maybe they did, but It's not something that I paid attention to. Personally, assuming that is true, I would want a cabin on the port side so that I had a harbor view and wasn't directly exposed to the street noise in Hamilton, but it's just a matter of personal preference.

Many cruise lines still dock in Hamilton...I did a quick count and came up with about 10 different cruise lines docking there in addition to Holland America, but the other ships were there once or at most twice during 2017, with HAL's Veendam the only semi-regular caller with 6 cruises.

Yes, they all dock in Hamilton with the bow facing the ferry terminal. I think it has something to do with the channel. They only turn coming in. I prefer the front street view myself.