Maui ships tour Luau

ranchette

Thank you for your reply

How is this Luau ? Is it better than Germaines or Chiefs?

It all depends what you are looking for in a luau. We attended Drums of the Pacific years ago and it was OK but not terrific, though it has been around for a long time and may have improved with age. It is located in the Hyatt Regency Maui which, as you probably know, is on Ka'anapali Beach and about an hour's ride from your ship. It seems considerably higher priced than Germaine's or Chief's luau though when you compare prices on those three websites. It did take third place in this year's Maui Time magazine reader's poll after The Feast at Lele (second) and Old Lahaina Luau (first by a large margin) - if anyone cares about such things.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

I agree with the order of those Maui rankings & 2 years ago when a large group of visiting Ohana went to Drums of the Pacific we joined them.

They found a price that was nearly 1/3 cheaper than the OLL or Feast at Lele which don't need to offer discounts because of their well deserved popularity. Drums entertainment & food are not up to the standards of those other performances. One thing I enjoyed at Drums was Kona Brewing beer on tap although I still prefer Maui Brewing beers. :beer-mug:

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your reply

How is this Luau ? Is it better than Germaines or Chiefs?

Better food than Germaine's, not as entertaining as Chief's.

OLL would be my choice on Maui for a luau. I don't consider the Feast at Lele quite a luau, but it is the best food of all the shows. It is what you do AFTER you've been to a commercial luau once (and then you never need go to another).

OLL would be my choice on Maui for a luau. I don't consider the Feast at Lele quite a luau, but it is the best food of all the shows. It is what you do AFTER you've been to a commercial luau once (and then you never need go to another).

I share you opinions...it's great food, drink & entertainment depicting four Polynesian cultures...Hawaiian, Samoan, Tahitian & Maori (NZ). Food & drinks are served at tables (various sizes for 2 or more people) instead of waiting to join the buffet line. It's slightly more expensive than the OLL but think it's a good experience for anyone who has previously attended a luau or just prefers the Feast's experience.

Although since the entertainment at the OLL is Hawaiian, some people are disappointed that there was no fire sword performance. Since that's Samoan it's not performed at the OLL but it's performed at the Feast at Lele & at other luaus. That's not a consideration for me because we enjoy the OLL that much more than other luaus.

• 1 month later...
Is transportation available to and from the ship for these luaus in Lahaina? We are not renting a car there and wouldn't want anyone to have to be the dd.

If you arrive in Lahaina the Old Lahaina Luau is a short cab ride & the Feast at Lele is within walking distance. If you arrive in Kahului it's about $150 roundtrip by cab to these luaus. There are luaus in Wailea which would be a shorter cab ride from Kahului. Public transportation is very limited & is not an efficient way to get around during a brief visit.

OLL appears to be about 25-30 minute walk from Lahaina port. Is it a scenic walk? DH and I tend to walk everywhere we can.

About the first half from the pier is through the historical town & the 2nd half is along houses. If you go to Google Maps you can see an aerial view of the 1.2 mile walk.

OLL appears to be about 25-30 minute walk from Lahaina port. Is it a scenic walk? DH and I tend to walk everywhere we can.

You might want to walk to OLL, but we would not suggest walking back after dark. The portion of Front Street in the business district may be OK then, but the rest of it not so much. Walk there. Cab back to tender dock - and that way you can also have any libations you wish without worry.