Cruise Critic Heading Out on American Duchess!

• Members

Hi everyone -

Tomorrow, I'll be heading down to New Orleans, where I'll be boarding AQSC's newest ship, American Duchess, on Friday. It's a short preview cruise before the christening on Monday. Let me know if you have any questions!

• Members

Hey, wanted to let people know that the ship wasn't done for our preview cruise. We were supposed to board on Friday and sail through Sunday, with the christening on Monday. That didn't happen. We toured the ship on Sunday instead, had dinner onboard, and saw some entertainment. Then I attended the christening on Monday.

Here's the christening story, where I mention how different the ship is for the Mississippi River: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7999. Unfortunately, I was only able to grade the ship on aesthetics, and not the service or other things that come through when you actually sail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

And here's the longer piece where we describe the ship, sans review: https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=1225

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 15.0px Calibri; color: #0463c1; -webkit-text-stroke: #0463c1}span.s1 {text-decoration: underline ; font-kerning: none}

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

The ship is now sailing as an all inclusive venture, including all drinks, gratuities, shore excursions, etc.

Drinks and gratuities yes. The only included shore excursions are the usual hop-on, hop-off bus; premium excursions must still be booked and paid.

Edited by TinCan782

42 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

I am not sure about that - wine and beer at dinner, yes, and the HOHO excursions are included as always, but the website makes no mention of including gratuities or "all drinks".

A future sailing on the Duchess I just booked for 2020 does include "drink packages" for both of us as well as gratuities. The only included shore excursions are the usual hop-on, hop-off bus; premium excursions must still be booked and paid.

4 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

Nice.  We are doing the full Mississippi trip on the American Queen this June and are not getting any perks except for some OBC.

The "Unlimited Beverage Package" and "Prepaid Gratuities" are only for the Duchess. See the 2020 Cruise Atlas, page 2