Odyssey Excursions in November :Caribbean

ChancerandDancer

Do you have any comments please on the following Seabourn Excursions from the Odyssey. We are first time cruisers and therefore first time to Seabourn, but we are looking forward to it.

We are not 'good' at organised excursions as we prefer to find our own means of exploring, however the following two excursions offered by Seabourn on the November Caribbean cruise have caught my attention.

Has anyone tried them? Any comments please would be welcome.

They are:

Whale and Dolphin sea safari on a catamaran

Yellow semi-sub exploration

Many thanks for your help

Maureen and Jon

Maureen and Jon.

Not tried either of these when we have visited the Caribbean with Seabourn, but have seen comments about the Whale and Dolphin excursion. Mostly it is do not do it as they have not seen either on their excursions, I suppose it is the luck of the draw.

Done something similar to the sub and enjoyed it but if you snorkel you will see just as mutch.

I hope you enjoy your first Seabourn cruise and have you signed up for the $400 dollar referral being as though this will be your first time.

We sail with Odyssey also this year to the Caribbean.

Happy sailing.

Thank you for your helpful message. It is rather as I thought, yes it is the luck of the draw, but perhaps there are better things to do with the day! I can imagine quite a few!

Sorry we will not meet you as I note you are sailing on the 23rd and we sail on the 11th. I look forward to comparing notes later.

Yes, thank you we have been offered a referral and if it had not been for the cruise critic forum we would not have been aware of it.

Best wishes

Maureen and Jon

Thank you for your helpful message. It is rather as I thought, yes it is the luck of the draw, but perhaps there are better things to do with the day! I can imagine quite a few!

Sorry we will not meet you as I note you are sailing on the 23rd and we sail on the 11th. I look forward to comparing notes later.

Yes, thank you we have been offered a referral and if it had not been for the cruise critic forum we would not have been aware of it.

Best wishes

Maureen and Jon

hi Maureen and Jon

I've set up a roll call for our cruise if you are interested in joining in

Liz

Do you have any comments please on the following Seabourn Excursions from the Odyssey. We are first time cruisers and therefore first time to Seabourn, but we are looking forward to it.

We are not 'good' at organised excursions as we prefer to find our own means of exploring, however the following two excursions offered by Seabourn on the November Caribbean cruise have caught my attention.

Has anyone tried them? Any comments please would be welcome.

They are:

Whale and Dolphin sea safari on a catamaran

Yellow semi-sub exploration

Many thanks for your help

Maureen and Jon: Hi. At what ports are those excursions you mentioned?

hi. at what ports are those excursions you mentioned?

Hello and sorry for the delay in replying to you.

The catamaran is Roseau Dominica

The sub is Gustavia

When you log onto your Seabourn registration for your cruise you will be able to look at all of the excursion options for every port.

The two I mentioned are on these listings.

Have a lovely cruise! I am counting the days until our first cruising and first Seabourn experience.

Maureen

Maureen--no worries. My thoughts on your question are that all the shore excursions, sightseeing opportunities, etc are very subjective and personal in nature. My advice is if they are of interest, take them. who knows how long it will be before you get back there, if ever. You don't want to get back home and think "I think should have." enjoy the Caribbean.

Maureen--no worries. My thoughts on your question are that all the shore excursions, sightseeing opportunities, etc are very subjective and personal in nature. My advice is if they are of interest, take them. who knows how long it will be before you get back there, if ever. You don't want to get back home and think "I think should have." enjoy the Caribbean.

Thank you for your message and thoughts. I appreciate them, I will post a comment when/if we do take those excursions.

It looks as if we are going to be spoilt for choice!

Enjoy the moment

Maureen

I can only help a bit on Dominica, as I lived there for a few months. The whales that live in Dominica are Sperm Whales, and they are permanent all-year round residents (with the vertical cliffs straight up from the sea, fertile volanic soils and masses of rain, the seas just off Dominca are very rich for feeding. But the whales are definitely skittish - not like curious humpbacks. And they are capable of staying down 20 minutes or more once they dive. If you take a trip, you will almost certainly see flying fish, and see some whale tails at a distance. You may be lucky and see them closer up, but it is maybe a little more hit and miss than it is with the humpbacks in Alaska, Hawaii and Cabo San Lucas

Seabourn like all cruise lines drastically mark up their excursions. We just went on a Seabourn cruise from Athens to Venice and we did all the same excursions as the cruise offered for at least 50% less.

Simply get a keyword for the excursion like "dolphin watching." Then go to TripAdvisor and search a similar excursion at the island you will be at. Find the tour company's that have lots of good reviews and book directly with them.

We have done this for 5+ cruises and never had a problem.

I didn't do the tour but it seems pretty lame and only for those who aren't comfortable snorkeling or don't actually want to be in the water but wish to see a bit of wild life in the sea. This is regularly offered at this port and you can read some reviews about it .on TripAdvisor. The tour is only an hour and it looks like you are in pretty close quarters. If you have never been to this port be prepared to bring lots of Euros. Just eating lunch near the port will set you back 50Euros for a sandwich and a drink.

I was looking forward to this port as it is a late night port, but after doing our included Virtuoso tour with lunch and then walking around looking at all the expensive shops I was back on board by 3pm where I felt much more welcome.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147339-d1467746-Reviews-Yellow_Submarine-Gustavia_St_Barthelemy.html

On our first cruise to St Bart's we felt as unwelcome as nolatravelgirl did. We walked around the port area, went to Shell Beach, and went back to the ship early. We felt like persona non grata had no desire to go back to St Bart's.

When we ended up on another cruise that went to St Bart's we almost just stayed on the ship. We decided to rent a car and go explore on our own. We went to a couple of different beaches and had our most expensive lunch ever. It was 180 Euro for two people. It was real good, but I've had better for less than half the price. Anyways, we had a real good time.

Next time we'll do the same thing again, except this time we'll go to Rockefeller Beach, aka Colombier Beach. We didn't go there last time because we were concerned about the infamous hike to the beach. After seeing the Kardashians make that hike on TV, we feel that we will be able to make it ourselves.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk