Tips for packing and flying with kids?

sandkps

We are long time cruisers, but have never had to fly for our cruise before. We are doing an Alaskan cruise next May and will be flying with our 2 boys, ages 12 & 9. Our goal is to get everything we need in our 4 carry-ons and personal bags. I'm usually a great packer (for Caribbean cruises I pack all 4 of us in 1 large suitcase, plus backpacks for myself and my boys (which usually just contain electronics, boarding info and bathing suits for the kids). However, I know we will need bulkier clothes and such for Alaska. Any tips on packing and traveling with kids on a flight? I haven't flown as an adult, so please let me know any important no-no's for flying. For example, can we have lighters? How to pack toiletries? Are we allowed to carry on our own snacks? Any and all tips appreciated!

When going through security you need to remove jackets, shoes, belts, electronic equipment out if the bag too. Best to wear slip on shoes or flip-flops going through and carry your shoes.

You also have to have liquids in a clear plastic bag. These also need to be taken out of your cases. Look up your airline & they will tell you what you can and can't take on board with you.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Check a bag or two. Don't try to jam everything into a carry on. Depending on what boarding group you are in, you might not even have any overhead bin space available by the time you board anyway. Just keep your backpacks with your electronics and other essential stuff and put the rest in the checked bags. You didn't say where you are flying from or if you have any layovers in between but not having to drag luggage around the airport between flights a good thing. Plus the added benefit of not having to drag it around when you get on board the ship. Less is best.

Go to the TSA website for questions about what is allowed and prohibited in luggage:

http://www.tsatraveltips.us/can-i-bring-it-on-an-airplane/

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips/travel-checklist

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures/traveling-children

Be sure to read your airline's baggage policy, which will be on their website.

If it was me, I would pay the $25.00 per suitcase and just bring two suitcases. I'm assuming it is 7 days, it will be colder, you will be bringing more clothing, and it's just too much work having to have 4 carry on, and 4 backpacks. Plus, you need to pack all liquids in small tubes etc, when checked bags, you can just pack any size stuff you want. Example, one large toothpaste, instead of 4 small tubes.

If it was me, I would pay the $25.00 per suitcase and just bring two suitcases. I'm assuming it is 7 days, it will be colder, you will be bringing more clothing, and it's just too much work having to have 4 carry on, and 4 backpacks. Plus, you need to pack all liquids in small tubes etc, when checked bags, you can just pack any size stuff you want. Example, one large toothpaste, instead of 4 small tubes.

My husband agrees with you, so that's probably what we'll do!

We did it a little differently. When we started travelling with our children, and when they were old enough, we had a rule.

You pack it, you carry it. Worked well, especially with our daughter in her early teens. We actually have used this rule for ourselves. It is part of the reason why, since retiriing, we are down to carry on only no matter where we go or for how long. For us it is about our physical ability to handle luggage on our own, convenience, etc. Absolutely nothing to do with cost. Besides, bags can be checked for free on most of the flights that we take.

Our son travels internationally for vacation every year. He takes a small carry on. Not certain how he does it but he does. Even less than we take. Daughter is back to taking her closet, the kitchen sink, and everything in between.