Need to convert US$??

stevenpgol

Quick questions:

We expect to bring a decent amount of cash and credit cards (with no foreign exchange fees) on our trip to French Polynesia this autumn. Are US dollars widely [and happily] accepted or is it a "must" to convert some currency? If some money needs to be exchanged, is it reasonably convenient (and cost-effective) to do so at the airport or should this get done while in Tahiti or Moorea? And how about vendors accepting credit card transactions?

Thank you!

Quick questions:

We expect to bring a decent amount of cash and credit cards (with no foreign exchange fees) on our trip to French Polynesia this autumn. Are US dollars widely [and happily] accepted or is it a "must" to convert some currency? If some money needs to be exchanged, is it reasonably convenient (and cost-effective) to do so at the airport or should this get done while in Tahiti or Moorea? And how about vendors accepting credit card transactions?

Thank you!

Why bring a large amount of USD when you have a no-fee exchange credit card? Most large places accept CC and the only time you need local currency is the smaller vendors and some private excursions. We usually get some local currency from an ATM once on Tahiti, Moorea or Bora bora where an ATM's are easily available.

Tahiti taxi will accept USD.

A "decent amount" means different things to different people. I took $1000 US cash on our cruise. To some that's a lot and to others it's a little. I'd recommend taking only what you can afford to lose but enough for an emergency. I only used it for a private excursion, trinkets, and taxis and brought most of it back. There are lots of atms that give you a better exchange rate.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Not sure which cruise you are on but be aware if your heading tho the Cook's the ship typically doesn't have NZD ... you will need to exchange once your in the Cook's. If you go to Aitutaki first there isn't a close ATM, on Raro there are several around the island. If you book TeKing he expects payment in NZD so take this into account.

Thanks everyone for your responses. We are doing the 7-day Society Islands cruise but staying a few nights pre-cruise in Moorea. Do the roulottes take US$? How about the agricultural center for marmalades and ice cream? And the quilts and sarongs? :)

Have never seen anyone use USA dollars at the agri center or the roulottes. Easy to change money, get some local cash at an ATM.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums