Viking Sea on Smithsonian Channel Tonight

roothy123

Just as a reminder, the "Mighty Ships" program on Smithsonian Channel is featuring Viking Sea tonight at 8 PM. That's true for the Mid-Atlantic area of the U.S.; not sure if it's broadcast the same time elsewhere. I believe someone mentioned that the ship was sailing on the "Midnight Sun" cruise when Smithsonian filmed the program.

Well, if you had been on that sailing, I would have asked where the ship anchored outside Edinburgh. I was curious if the ship was anchored outside Leith or Newhaven and tendered into the port area or what. I was surprised to see the passengers were tendered to the Edinburgh area, as I've never heard of that being done before.

Saw most of the one hour commercial last night. Looks like the only problem they had on a two week cruise was the guy getting lost delivering the cakes:D. Midnight Sun itinerary says Leith not sure where the tender docks but in any event it is only 2 or 3 miles from the center much better the tendering at Queens Ferry or docking at Rosyth.; both about an hour from ship to city center by train.

Saw most of the one hour commercial last night. Looks like the only problem they had on a two week cruise was the guy getting lost delivering the cakes:D. Midnight Sun itinerary says Leith not sure where the tender docks but in any event it is only 2 or 3 miles from the center much better the tendering at Queens Ferry or docking at Rosyth.; both about an hour from ship to city center by train.

Well, I looked up Newhaven, and the lighthouse that's there is the one that was shown in the program, so I'm thinking they anchored outside of Newhaven and tendered people to a pier there. On another cruise line before, we anchored at South Queensferry, and in June on Viking (Midnight Sun) we docked at Rosyth. Both are a pain, but what can you do?

Yes, those programs on cruise ships usually end up being a bit of a commercial, but at least the Smithsonian program tries to make it interesting by mentioning problems and hiccups, even if they are few. For the program on an Azamara ship, they had a passenger they couldn't find after a huge picnic they held for their cruisers ashore. I've seen a couple more of those and they're similar. There's also a similar program on the cable AWE channel that is really, truly a commercial - first they take you to a posh suite, then they show you the spa, then other stuff that they ooh and ah over.

I did, at least, enjoy seeing a few of the places we visited on our Midnight Sun cruise in June, and enjoyed seeing the Captain, who we cruised with in 2015, and I recognized one of the Destination/Excursion staff members from our June cruise. I also learned a new term (bunkering) and gained a greater appreciation for some things I really hadn't thought of or known before. It was fun watching!

Agreed.... Princess Carib July 2016 to Queens Ferry. Tendered in and climbed the hill to train station only to find it was closed on Sunday so took the shuttle bus back and forth. Prinsendam last week to Rosyth... shuttle to train. Probably spent 3 hours both times getting back in forth and that is a big deal when you only have 10 hours in port. HAL had no direct shuttle from Rosyth to Edinbough but the had an "On your own excursion" which took you in and picked you up 5 hours latter for $99ea train cost $11 round trip each. Princess had an hourly shuttle for for $20ea and port had hourly shuttle for around $5ea. My guess is if Viking didn't have a shuttle it would about $1 bus fare and 10 minutes from Newhaven.

Smith has also done a few on building and testing some of the megaships and being a techie I was hoping for smomething like that

Only ctritcism was their attempt to create "drama" and that they didn't show more shots inside the ship...since we haven't been on the a VO ship yet. Buffet lines looked a bit croweded.

Some of the interior shots seemed to be from Viking website. Best way to get an idea of what it looks like is YouTube. Buffet lines aren't to bad most of the time except when the included tours return to the ship. 7 to 12 bus loads of hungry guests arrive about the same time. Finding tables can be a problem in bad weather. Almost everything is made to order so the lines move a little slower then they should. They always showcase a special but on the top of the counter they also list other specials on folded cards and if you want something else just ask for it. Didn't realize this until half way through our first Viking cruise. Been on a lot of cruises and Viking World Cafe is #1 for buffet.

Only ctritcism was their attempt to create "drama" and that they didn't show more shots inside the ship...since we haven't been on the a VO ship yet. Buffet lines looked a bit croweded.

I thought same thing about that buffet shot. However, that wasn't a normal night at the World Cafe. They were having a seafood/fish fry night, so people were lined up to get fish. Normally those people would be dispersed around the various parts of the buffet, and some may have been eating elsewhere.

Totally agree, I was hoping for more of the ship and less of the cruise itself, oh well, as azdrydock says "back to youtube"