Advice on Canada ports

Alenic

Hi All.

Having exhausted nearly all ports in Europe, we are looking at trying Canada and New England. Interested about the ports. We don't do trips, and prefer to enjoy what is near the port. We are also looking at NCL, for the first time and the two ships of choice are the Jade and the Dawn? Ports are Halifax, Quebec, Charlottetown, Bar Harbour, others I can't remember. We are planning to go in October this year. There is A Princess, Regal Princess, and RC, Anthem of the seas doing similar cruises. We love to hear anyone's opinion of this route. Thanks :)

Halifax is a great port to visit, with lots of interesting things to see right in town within walking distance of the dock.

There are things like the Maritime Museum (Has a titanic display), St Paul's church, the waterfront boardwalk, the citadel, the public gardens, the brewery, the old town clock and government house.

Also lots to see in the surrounding area as well, like the Peggy's cove, Lunenburg and Mahone Bay.

Apparently the Fairview Lawn Cemetary has a lot of the titanic graves/ tombstones.

Hi All.

Having exhausted nearly all ports in Europe, we are looking at trying Canada and New England. Interested about the ports. We don't do trips, and prefer to enjoy what is near the port. We are also looking at NCL, for the first time and the two ships of choice are the Jade and the Dawn? Ports are Halifax, Quebec, Charlottetown, Bar Harbour, others I can't remember. We are planning to go in October this year. There is A Princess, Regal Princess, and RC, Anthem of the seas doing similar cruises. We love to hear anyone's opinion of this route. Thanks :)

We did Scotland-Canada 29 nights cruise last year with CMV on the Marco Polo - superb time! St Johns Newfoundland is very special - first port of call for first time in Canada and the photos of the coloured house are excellent. Fish & Chips at the 'Duke of Duckworth' are to die for! Don't go for the Treble portion - you'll still be there 3 days later! Halifax is a delight to walk along the boardwalk at the Marina and then walk into the old town. Lots of good value cafes and restaurants if you keep clear of the tourist traps - we asked a local - they're all incredibly friendly. Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown is a wee bit twee with the 'Anne of Green Gables' theme but lots of clapperboard houses and other buildings to see and photograph. Quebec is my favourite - could have spent a week there and still found people to speak to and buildings to photograph. Montreal is a mix of modern and ancient - a wee bit bland in some respects - it felt like 'just another capital city' but I was influenced by a) all the roadworks making access to the port a nightmare and b) the stay at Quebec!. Smaller ports are nice but some have very little to see - Gaspe had a shuttlebus (CAN $10 each) but the 'trip' is about 400 metres ... Sept Iles (may have been dropped now ...) is a prosperous town that makes its money from fishing. The sole purpose for the call appears to take a trip to some Native Indian dancing. We didn't take the trip and I worked out that I could spend the time crossing the traffic lights about 1250 times because there was very little else to do - extraordinary tourism! Corner Brook and Sydney were very pleasant small towns with pleasant scenery and incredibly friendly people (also Cap aux Meules and Saguenay). Havre St Pierre was a morning wander around a small town in the heaviest rain I have experienced - absolutely drenched! Tired, footsore, cold and wet - and then I saw the whales swimming and 'sunbathing' at the mouth of the bay - what a great place and day! Best cruise I have taken - amazing memories and Canadians are the friendliest, kindest people I have ever met (at Corner Brook, I stopped to read the map - a lady driving by, stopped to ask if we were OK before insisting that she drive us to the Cook Monument (we arrived chauffeur-driven at the same time as our fellow-passengers on the bus - awkward!). At Sydney, I began a conversation with a man refurbishing a property in the Old Town - 15 minutes later, we had the Guided Tour of his fabulous house! Another occasion we asked a female jogger if we were on the right path in a public park - she gave us directions and then ran an additional lap to find us to ensure we were on the correct route - etc, etc. I reached the point where I was looking forward to meeting a rude person! My wife brought me back to earth when I said this - she asked if I'd like a mirror ... :D. I would go back to Canada in an instant - fabulous place, great scenery, great people ...

LOL, love the comment about needing a mirror.

Mrs Marchie (Elaine - aka Kelpie Travels) doesn't say much - but when she does, I never feel the knife blade ... :D She does keep me on my toes, though! We booked South America cruise today - it will be our first trip to this neck of the woods and our first time on an American ship, so also first time on NCL! Should be interesting! We will both need to 'mind our Ps & Qs' ... Neither of us has been a great loss to the Diplomatic Service! ;)

Mrs Marchie (Elaine - aka Kelpie Travels) doesn't say much - but when she does, I never feel the knife blade ... :D She does keep me on my toes, though! We booked South America cruise today - it will be our first trip to this neck of the woods and our first time on an American ship, so also first time on NCL! Should be interesting! We will both need to 'mind our Ps & Qs' ... Neither of us has been a great loss to the Diplomatic Service! ;)

I think this is why we marry the people we do, as we know that we need someone strong enough and witty enough to keep us in check.

South America is amazing, you will love it.

I have done a NCL cruise to Canada and New England from Boston. As others have said, Halifax has a lot to see and do within walking distance from the pier. The same is true for Charlottetown and Quebec.

There are some interesting things to do right in Bar Harbor, however, the "big draw" requires an excursion to Acadia National Park. This itinerary is a really great area to visit with a lot of diversity. Enjoy

NCL is a decent line. Both the Jade and the Dawn are iin the neighborhood of 2000 passengers. Of the 2, the Jade is newer. At this time of my life I prefer Princess, but not the size of some of the ships.

I think this is why we marry the people we do, as we know that we need someone strong enough and witty enough to keep us in check.

South America is amazing, you will love it.

Thanks, Mic!

I am really looking forward to the whole experience :D My lack of language will prevent me from repeating the Canadian immersion but the itinerary is one we both had on the 'One day ...' List so there will be lots of very special memories - and it wouldn't be one of our cruises without an element of farce creeping in somewhere - the language area is favourite! 'Well, what did you expect saying that to that nice policeman?' ...