Choosing between 2 cruises for our first time?

Leahastl

My family of 4 (kids ages 13 & 7) are deciding on 2 separate intinuaries for our maiden voyage on Carnival Senastion ( or any cruise ship ) and would LOVE some feeback. The one cruise has ports in Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman with 2 sea days, and the other cruise has Key West and Cozumel ports with one sea day.

I really prefer the Ocho Rios/Grand Cayman idea but worry about my 7 year old who has never snorkeled or swam with any sea life. I would hate to go to these places ( and spend more on the cruise) and be stuck on the beach with temptations of swimming with sting rays/dolphins/sharks.... Granted I will have an amazing time but I am guessing I should maybe cruise somewhere that is more geared towards hanging out on the beach or family friendly activities that wouldnt scare my little guy (my 13 year old loves to snorkel and adores sting rays).

I am guessing Key West and Cozumel would have more options for smaller children and less adventurous options that would be geared towards the whole family. Or am I completely over thinking everything? 🙄

Just curious if I should wait on my "bucket list" ports for when it is just my husband and I cruising and just start with something basic?

Happy sails,

A Helicopter mom:D

Both options have lots of family friendly things to do. Because of hurricane Irma, it is too soon to say if the Key West Port will be open by Feb 2018. And if the Port is open, many of the pre-hurricane attractions will not be operational. At this time, no one knows what the substitute Port will be.

My favorite ports in the Caribbean are Cozumel and Grand Cayman. You also can not go wrong with Ocho Rios.

So, lets dispel the first myth being passed here. Key West was not obliterated. Key West was on the better side of the eye and took some flooding. The obliteration took place further up the Keys.

Having lived through Georges and Wilma in the Keys, I predict Key West will be reopened in a matter of weeks...probably by November at the latest. I'm certain it will be open by Jan/Feb.

I do agree with the others that Jamaica isn't so great. In fact, Jamaica is one of my least favorite islands in the Caribbean.

As to your first paragraph. How certain are you that you want to go on Carnival Sensation? I highly recommend something a little newer. Have you considered Royal Caribbean?

I think many first time cruisers over think the selection.

ANY cruise will be good and fun. And until you do one, you have NO idea what parts you will like or not like. All ports have things to do for all sorts of people.

Relax, pick one, enjoy, THEN you have a basis for future picks.

Key West and Cozumel probably offer better options. Ocho Rios has little to do beyond Dunn's River (which is probably too difficult) or an organized tour - you do not want to be on Jamaica on your own --- and Grand Cayman is good for snorkeling and hanging with the sting rays - and little else.

Of course - you do not want to hang everything on the ports - there is always some possibility of itinerary change.

My family of 4 (kids ages 13 & 7) are deciding on 2 separate intinuaries for our maiden voyage on Carnival Senastion ( or any cruise ship ) and would LOVE some feeback. The one cruise has ports in Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman with 2 sea days, and the other cruise has Key West and Cozumel ports with one sea day.

I really prefer the Ocho Rios/Grand Cayman idea but worry about my 7 year old who has never snorkeled or swam with any sea life. I would hate to go to these places ( and spend more on the cruise) and be stuck on the beach with temptations of swimming with sting rays/dolphins/sharks.... Granted I will have an amazing time but I am guessing I should maybe cruise somewhere that is more geared towards hanging out on the beach or family friendly activities that wouldnt scare my little guy (my 13 year old loves to snorkel and adores sting rays).

I am guessing Key West and Cozumel would have more options for smaller children and less adventurous options that would be geared towards the whole family. Or am I completely over thinking everything? [emoji849]

Just curious if I should wait on my "bucket list" ports for when it is just my husband and I cruising and just start with something basic?

Happy sails,

A Helicopter mom:D

Frankly, I would rethink the cruise line all together. 🤢 not a fan of carnival. Have you looked at the itineraries for Disney Cruise line? The kids club is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Frankly, I would rethink the cruise line all together. 🤢 not a fan of carnival. Have you looked at the itineraries for Disney Cruise line? The kids club is amazing!

DCL is so much more expensive, at the time, my 9 and 11 year olds hated the kids club.

Thank you all for the valuable feedback! I had no idea about Jamaica 😕. I have looked at multiple cruises by Royal Caribbean as well but the dates and ports stand out with these particular Carnival cruises. Since we have never cruised before, I am sure I will enjoy either option! Thanks again!

Thank you all for the valuable feedback! I had no idea about Jamaica [emoji53]. I have looked at multiple cruises by Royal Caribbean as well but the dates and ports stand out with these particular Carnival cruises. Since we have never cruised before, I am sure I will enjoy either option! Thanks again!

I think I went on Carnival Freedom that visited Key West, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

I think many first time cruisers over think the selection.

ANY cruise will be good and fun. And until you do one, you have NO idea what parts you will like or not like. All ports have things to do for all sorts of people.

Relax, pick one, enjoy, THEN you have a basis for future picks.

Agree with SRF 100%. Just pick a cruise that fits your budget and go and have fun.

Roz

Key West, while fun, is NOT a "beach" destination...if that's your aim, you need a different port! GC is a good beach place, and there are stingrays and turtles...if you want to do that sort of thing.

Carnival, RCI, and NCL are the most "family friendly" lines...but you can certainly take families on Celebrity, Princess and even HAL!

I have to disagree and say that Carnival IS a kid-friendly line. They have kids clubs, waterslides, the sports complex, movies on the deck, etc. Is there as much to do as there would be on a Royal Caribbean cruise? Probably not, depending on the ship you take.

If you're set in leaving from Miami and are sticking with Carnival, I might look at the Glory instead of the Splendor. It's newer, larger, and has more family-friendly activities. It also isn't as expensive as the newer ships like the Vista.

You'll have fun on either itinerary! I think there's tons for kids to do on Carnival. There's definitely a big price differential between most of the Carnival ships and RCI's mega ships - but other than the bells and whistles of the mega ships the lines are very, very similar. Have an awesome time!