Feb/Mar -Temps/Seas: Pacific Crossing To & In Hawaiian Waters

mlbcruiser

Wondering how chilly it generally while at sea doing a Pacific crossing to the Hawaiian Islands in Feb. or March. Will temperatures get very much warmer a day or two from the Hawaiian islands?

Is there a higher chance of port cancellations due to high seas/wind in HI during those months? Also, since those months seem to be California's rainy season, should we expect more rain on at least the first couple of days after leaving CA? (Of course I know weather is never predictable and can vary from the norm.)

We did a day trip to Catalina once in mid June and had to wear jackets on the boat over & back as it was very cool & breezy. We've also experienced some pretty rough seas and large waves between French Polynesia & the Cook Islands once in Sept. In the past high seas wouldn't be an issue, but due to a disorder my husband has now, it could affect his ability to get around safely while on board. A day or so is one thing. The whole cruise is another!

Hoping for some input from those with experience on this itinerary. Thanks for any helpful info!

The first two days are a little chilly and the day before the Ensenada stop. The only two ports that can be or have been cancelled at Lahaina (Maui) or Kauai. We almost didn't stop in Kauai due to ocen waves and wind at the harbor entrance . I've heard of Lahaina being cancelled due to heavy surf in the bay. Mostly because of the tenders having issues with the harbor entrance.

I agree. First two days can be chilly and windy. Our experience once beyond those days is that it begins to warm up and very pleasant in Hawaii. We've done this one several times. But when you sail there are always exceptions and that can include less desirable weather getting closer to Hawaii as mentioned although to me that is the exception.

Keith

Thanks so much for the information. Especially with regard to the cool temperatures the first couple of days out from CA. Pretty much what I figured.

Any comments about rain?

With regard to a port or ports having to be skipped on occasion due to high seas/wind, I wonder if in that case 2 days are spent in some other port - OR, in the case of an itinerary including the big island if only Hilo was planned, a ship will ever add in Kona as a replacement to, say, Kauai? ( We have done land trips to Kauai, Maui and Oahu in the past, but never have visited the island of Hawaii.)

I appreciate the input. Thanks again.

With regard to a port or ports having to be skipped on occasion due to high seas/wind, I wonder if in that case 2 days are spent in some other port - OR, in the case of an itinerary including the big island if only Hilo was planned, a ship will ever add in Kona as a replacement to, say, Kauai?

Correct us is we are wrong, but we do not believe a ship can just drop in at another port if the first one doesn't work out. Our thought is the ship spends the day(s) at sea instead.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

• 2 weeks later...

We were on a Royal Caribbean ship once that was supposed to stop at it's own

private island. However, the seas were too rough to handle the ferry boats or do the few excursions (all water-related). So the afternoon before (at sea) the capt. announced the that ship would go to Nassau instead, and it did. Just as if it was a regular port. This was some years ago (18? 20?), though.Nassau was still visited by many ships even then. However, it gets even heavier cruise ship traffic now I think.) The other thing was the capt. made an announcement that due to the change in port, the bars would be open for free drinks for, I think it was, an hour (the same afternoon the change was announced) and every cabin got a $50 onboard credit!

I believe that IF a port has an open berth available and notice is given, it's possible. It's pretty much the same as when a ship has to divert to another port or itinerary when a hurricane threatens it's course. They don't always stay at sea the whole time in that case. Just depends.

I believe that IF a port has an open berth available and notice is given, it's possible. It's pretty much the same as when a ship has to divert to another port or itinerary when a hurricane threatens it's course. They don't always stay at sea the whole time in that case. Just depends.

Yes, it is possible, but it is not just flipping a switch. Can tours be arranged? Vendors may already be busy. What does the change in ports due to the fuel consumption and travel times for the balance of the cruise? Many variables. Many people think it is an easy act. It is not.

If you were canceled at another Hawaii port due to wind/weather type issues, Kona would be problematic, as it is a tender port, and very subject to wind issues.