Need Info for 14 Day SA Cruise around the Horn on Celebrity

wangy26

We are thinking about taking the following 14 day cruise Jan 6-20, 2019 on Celebrity Eclipse:

Day Port / City Arrive Depart

1 Santiago (Valparaiso), Chile --- 6:00PM

2 Cruising --- ---

3 Puerto Montt, Chile 9:00AM 7:00PM

4 Cruising The Chilean Fjords --- ---

5 Strait Of Magellan --- ---

6 Punta Arenas, Chile 7:00AM 5:30PM

7 Ushuaia, Argentina 10:00AM 7:00PM

8 Cape Horn, Chile 6:00AM 8:30AM

9 Cruising --- ---

10 Puerto Madryn, Argentina 8:00AM 5:30PM

11 Cruising --- ---

12 Punta Del Este, Uruguay 9:00AM 7:00PM

13 Montevideo, Uruguay 7:00AM 4:00PM

14 Buenos Aires, Argentina 5:00AM ---

15 Buenos Aires, Argentina --- ---

For this trip the top scenery on our list are glacier viewing and wildlife (penguin). I understand that we can take tours on some port of calls to see penguins. I am not so sure is where we will have opportunities to view glaciers and how good the glacier view would be on this itinerary. I read some trip report from someone who took the same itinerary a few years ago and mentioned that ship passed glacier during night time and didn't see much of the glacier.

Can someone who are knowledgeable about this region and Celebrity itinerary help me with the following questions:

1. Where are the possible opportunities to see glaciers during this trip?

2. How good are the glacier viewing from the ship; up close pristine white or far away little dot?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

I suggest you post this on the Celebrity Board since you are asking for Celebrity specific information. We did a similar itinerary on Princess last winter: Valparaiso to Rio. In Punta Arenas you will want to go to Magdalena Island to see the Magellanic penguins. Celebrity will probably have an excursion; we used a private company, Solo Expediciones. In Ushuaia we were supposed to have a Beagle Channel cruise to see wildlife but the winds came up and it was canceled and we went to the National Park instead. On our itinerary (which didn't include the Chilean fjords or Puerto Madryn) we had a beautiful cruise into Ushuaia along 'glacier alley'. I think you probably will too given the timing of your arrival in Ushuaia following the port stop in Punta Arenas. Beginning around 6 a.m. we passed 6 (or so, don't remember exactly) glaciers on the port side in a row. While we weren't as close as you get in Glacier Bay or College Fjord on an Alaska cruise, they were quite beautiful.

Hope you can get some Celebrity specific info!

Falkland Islands are supposed to be very good for penguins. Your itinerary doesn't go there. You might want to research the Falkland Islands and see if you want another cruise.

I agree. The thousands of King penguins at Volunteer Point are amazing as is the 2 hour mostly off-road ride to get there. OP - Do be aware that the Falklands are frequently missed because it is a tender port and the weather can be too windy to tender.