Help! No show vs Cancellation of 2nd Passenger on NCL Double Cabin?

Maglalakbay2017

You can play semantics, fine with me but I would like to see you substantiate your claim that "rarely" is the supplement more than 100% and please show the cruises that are "often" a lot less than 100%, if you can.

Knowing what words mean, and using them properly,is not playing semantics - it is communicating.

I do not want to waste a lot of time on this - but a quick review of first half of January 2018 Caribbean sailings did not show ANY with a greater than 100% supplement - and did show the following with supplements of less than 100%:

1/3 Veendam - Fort Lauderdale 74%

1/7 Anthem - Bayonne 62%

1/7 Rotterdam - Tampa 74%

1/13 MSC Seaside - Miami 65%

1/13 Costa Deliziosa - Fort Lauderdale 79%

1/14 Eurodam - Fort Lauderdale 84%

If you wait until a week or so before sailing you will find most cruises sold out - but you will also find the greatest discounts on fares - and lowest supplements - on those not yet sold out.

I suggest you do your own research.

Knowing what words mean, and using them properly,is not playing semantics - it is communicating.

I do not want to waste a lot of time on this - but a quick review of first half of January 2018 Caribbean sailings did not show ANY with a greater than 100% supplement - and did show the following with supplements of less than 100%:

1/3 Veendam - Fort Lauderdale 74%

1/7 Anthem - Bayonne 62%

1/7 Rotterdam - Tampa 74%

1/13 MSC Seaside - Miami 65%

1/13 Costa Deliziosa - Fort Lauderdale 79%

1/14 Eurodam - Fort Lauderdale 84%

If you wait until a week or so before sailing you will find most cruises sold out - but you will also find the greatest discounts on fares - and lowest supplements - on those not yet sold out.

I suggest you do your own research.

I never wrote asking you to do research for me, so you may have a reading comprehension problem as well.

The Royal going going gone sale shows a 200% single supplement on each cruise listed. The Freedom sailing on 10/5 is $900 for an inside with a single supplement (listed on their website) of 200%.

You wrote "supplement means the amount added not the total after adding the amount". You also wrote " a cabin with a pp fare of $1,000 with a 100% single supplement would cost the solo traveler $2,000".

Using your logic, the Freedom inside cabin of $900 with a 200% single supplement means $1,800 is added to the $900 fare with a final total of $2,700 :confused: yet the actual cost is $1,800. I know the cost is $1,800, from your definition it is $2,700...you are wrong.

The Celebrity Infinity is on their "sale" list this week with a 150% single supplement (again, directly from their website). Ocean view cabin is $1,800. I know the final cost, pre tax/fees, is $2,700. You would expect the price to be an extra $2,700 (150% X $1,800) along with the cabin cost of $1,800 for a total of $4,500 pre tax/fees because you define supplement as the amount added and not the total after adding the amount.

So you can see, I would not want you to do any research for me, not that I ever asked you anyway.;p

You can play semantics, fine with me but I would like to see you substantiate your claim that "rarely" is the supplement more than 100% and please show the cruises that are "often" a lot less than 100%, if you can.

"Please show the cruises that are "often" a lot less than 100%, if you can." Sure sounds like you are asking for research.

i do not know what you are trying to prove with your arithmetic - but it surely does not change the meaning of the word "supplement".

In any event, since you lack the attention span to remember what you have asked, I do not think any more time on this discussion would be fruitful.

Trust me has a solo traveler rarely is it seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Please show the cruises that are "often" a lot less than 100%, if you can." Sure sounds like you are asking for research.

i do not know what you are trying to prove with your arithmetic - but it surely does not change the meaning of the word "supplement".

In any event, since you lack the attention span to remember what you have asked, I do not think any more time on this discussion would be fruitful.

I certainly see why you no longer want to discuss this.:')

I am glad that you still insist your definition of supplement is correct as it reaffirms how much you would overpay for a single supplement. I thought it was quite clear what I was proving with the arithmetic. I used your exact definition of supplement. I used the arithmetic numbers directly from Royal and Celebrity. You would pay $4,500 for the Celebrity cabin I used as an example and almost everyone else would pay $2,700. Do you still not get it????? By the way, instead of paying the $4.500 book it as a double have one no show and you will save yourself money.

As to your assertion that "rarely" is the single supplement above 100%, when Celebrity imposes a 250% single supplement on their "specials" (no less), in a 4-6 week period earlier this year, that does not fit the definition of rarely.

In asking you to list the "often" cruises that are less than 100% supplement, I was only asking you to support your claim in the exact way you asked me to explain why I originally posted that you were wrong. I never interpreted your question as "research" just as my question to you was not a research question. After these exchanges I can now understand why you would think it was.:D

You would pay $4,500 for the Celebrity cabin I used as an example and almost everyone else would pay $2,700. Do you still not get it????? By the way, instead of paying the $4.500 book it as a double have one no show and you will save yourself money.

$ 2,700 = 100% (1 passenger, based on double occupancy)

$ 4,500 = 167% (1 passenger, based on single occupancy)

The supplement is $1,800 or approximately 67%.

If you booked it as a double you would pay 2x $2,700 so $5,400 in total. If you had the second person be a no show you would get port fees back I assume but have to admit that I couldn't say if those would add up to $1,800.

You are paying 167% of what one passenger would pay if they shared but it's not a 167% supplement. If the supplement was 167% your single fare would be $7,209 ("1 passenger, based on double occupancy" + 167% of "1 passenger, based on double occupancy -> $2,700 + (1,67*$2,700) -> $2,700 + $4,509 = $7,209). It's a 67% supplement, 67% then the base price.

As to your assertion that "rarely" is the single supplement above 100%, when Celebrity imposes a 250% single supplement on their "specials" (no less), in a 4-6 week period earlier this year, that does not fit the definition of rarely.

If Celebrity imposed a 250% single supplement, they would be charging the single cruise 250% on top of the fare a cruiser would be paying if they shared their stateroom with somebody else. So if a "1 passenger, based on double occupancy" cruiser paid $2,700 and Celebrity imposed a 250% single supplement, the "1 passenger, based on single occupancy" cruiser would have to pay $9,450.

Using your logic, the Freedom inside cabin of $900 with a 200% single supplement means $1,800 is added to the $900 fare with a final total of $2,700 :confused: yet the actual cost is $1,800. I know the cost is $1,800, from your definition it is $2,700...you are wrong.

Exactly. Because while the Freedom inside cabin might cost the "1 passenger, based on single occupancy" cruiser 200% of the price a "1 passenger, based on double occupancy" cruiser would pay, the supplement is "only" 100%. It's 200% of the price, a 100% supplement.

If Royal advertises it as a "200% single supplement", Royal is - sementically - incorrect, as they are really only charging a 100% single supplement.

In asking you to list the "often" cruises that are less than 100% supplement,

For example, Celebrity does in the example you gave above.

The single supplement Celebrity asks their single cruiser to pay is 67%. A 67% supplement is less than a 100% supplement. The supplement is what the single cruiser pays on top of the "double occupancy" cruiser's fare. Not the total amount the single cruiser pays (which, in your example would be 167%).

A supplement is something you add on top of the base line. Like a dietary supplement - your usual diet already provides you with a certain amount of vitamins, a supplement just adds something to what you have already consumed with your usual diet.

While I have never researched single cruising I think NCL has cabins that only sleep one, which come with a lesser supplement (studio cabins). It seems that the same is true for RCCL (studio cabins), P&O (single cabins), Fred. Olsen (single cabins). I know it's true for certain Hurtigruten ships who have single cabins (Lofoten, Vesteralen). Cruise Critic has an article on cruise lines for solo travelers, maybe that could help you to find a cruise line that takes a lower supplement?

Edited by Wembley Fraggle

$ 2,700 = 100% (1 passenger, based on double occupancy)

$ 4,500 = 167% (1 passenger, based on single occupancy)

The supplement is $1,800 or approximately 67%.

If you booked it as a double you would pay 2x $2,700 so $5,400 in total. If you had the second person be a no show you would get port fees back I assume but have to admit that I couldn't say if those would add up to $1,800.

You are paying 167% of what one passenger would pay if they shared but it's not a 167% supplement. If the supplement was 167% your single fare would be $7,209 ("1 passenger, based on double occupancy" + 167% of "1 passenger, based on double occupancy -> $2,700 + (1,67*$2,700) -> $2,700 + $4,509 = $7,209). It's a 67% supplement, 67% then the base price.

If Celebrity imposed a 250% single supplement, they would be charging the single cruise 250% on top of the fare a cruiser would be paying if they shared their stateroom with somebody else. So if a "1 passenger, based on double occupancy" cruiser paid $2,700 and Celebrity imposed a 250% single supplement, the "1 passenger, based on single occupancy" cruiser would have to pay $9,450.

Exactly. Because while the Freedom inside cabin might cost the "1 passenger, based on single occupancy" cruiser 200% of the price a "1 passenger, based on double occupancy" cruiser would pay, the supplement is "only" 100%. It's 200% of the price, a 100% supplement.

If Royal advertises it as a "200% single supplement", Royal is - sementically - incorrect, as they are really only charging a 100% single supplement.

For example, Celebrity does in the example you gave above.

The single supplement Celebrity asks their single cruiser to pay is 67%. A 67% supplement is less than a 100% supplement. The supplement is what the single cruiser pays on top of the "double occupancy" cruiser's fare. Not the total amount the single cruiser pays (which, in your example would be 167%).

A supplement is something you add on top of the base line. Like a dietary supplement - your usual diet already provides you with a certain amount of vitamins, a supplement just adds something to what you have already consumed with your usual diet.

While I have never researched single cruising I think NCL has cabins that only sleep one, which come with a lesser supplement (studio cabins). It seems that the same is true for RCCL (studio cabins), P&O (single cabins), Fred. Olsen (single cabins). I know it's true for certain Hurtigruten ships who have single cabins (Lofoten, Vesteralen). Cruise Critic has an article on cruise lines for solo travelers, maybe that could help you to find a cruise line that takes a lower supplement?

Check out Eclipse sailing 12/21 out of Miami,

PP $ 1349. Or $2698. Double occupancy

Solo $3598. Solo in double cabin.

Same cabin!!!!

Celebrity hardly ever has a single rate less than 200%

And after seeing this, my next booked may be my lady with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hear that. It happened to me once with a co-worker. She decided a few days before the cruise she didn't want to go even though her part was all paid for ( flight and half pre hotel stay ). I told her she had to figure out what to do about any refund or whatever with the cruise line for any money. When I got to the ship to board I just told them she would be boarding later. They didn't ask any more questions the whole cruise. I enjoyed my bigger cabin alone and had a great cruise by myself. Go and have a great. Cruising single is wonderful. I have done it 5 times out of 8 cruises. They are the ones I enjoyed the most. Enjoy. :D

I'm sorry to hear that. It happened to me once with a co-worker. She decided a few days before the cruise she didn't want to go even though her part was all paid for ( flight and half pre hotel stay ). I told her she had to figure out what to do about any refund or whatever with the cruise line for any money. When I got to the ship to board I just told them she would be boarding later. They didn't ask any more questions the whole cruise. I enjoyed my bigger cabin alone and had a great cruise by myself. Go and have a great. Cruising single is wonderful. I have done it 5 times out of 8 cruises. They are the ones I enjoyed the most. Enjoy. :D

As mentioned several times in this thread by several, including me, that close to the departure date there would be no refund from the cruise line other than for her taxes and port fess. That is why there was no increase in your fare as the cruise line remained financially whole with their full double occupancy rate retained.

As mentioned several times in this thread by several, including me, that close to the departure date there would be no refund from the cruise line other than for her taxes and port fess. That is why there was no increase in your fare as the cruise line remained financially whole with their full double occupancy rate retained.

I totally agree with you. I didn't explain it very well. I was so upset with her I just told her she would have to deal with the cruise line on her own. I knew I would be fine. She missed out on a great cruise while I had a awesome time. I don't know what happened on her end because I never asked and she didn't tell me. It was her loss:D

I totally agree with you. I didn't explain it very well. I was so upset with her I just told her she would have to deal with the cruise line on her own. I knew I would be fine. She missed out on a great cruise while I had a awesome time. I don't know what happened on her end because I never asked and she didn't tell me. It was her loss:D

Got it! :)