Confused about South America

angeleyes27

Next year we would like to take a trip to South America. I am totally lost about this area of the world. On all, I am unsure of when is the best time to go. We generally go the least expensive although this is one area where I want to have a planned tour not independently as I usually do.

There are 3 areas that seem to interest me: 1. Taking a cruise around Galápagos Islands. I am not sure what is a good cruise line and when is a good time of year. There are also several loops. Not sure what is best. 2. Manchu Picchu. Again what time of year? We do not want to hike the Inca trail. 3. Cruise around the cape. Probably an NCL cruise. Again what time of year? Any ideas as to what ports are good?

We look for pretty scenery. We are into photography and history. Don't really care about museums or bustling cities.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Obviously, the best weather will usually be Nov. - Feb., but that's also the most expensive. Shoulder season (Sept. - Oct., Mar, - Apr.) will be cheaper, but taking a cruise around the cape, you never know what the weather will be like in the ports. We got very lucky last year in mid March with fantastic weather at almost every port from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, but we could have just as easily encountered temps in the 40's with rain.

Machu Picchu does not combine easily with a cruise. It's still a good distance from any port (I think Lima is closest) and usually requires coming in early or staying a few days after your cruise in order to visit.

I know nothing about cruising the Galapagos other than it's quite expensive relative to other S.A. cruises.

As to the question of which ports would provide the best opportunities for nature pics, Ushuaia, Stanley, and Puerto Madryn would top my list with Tierra del Fuego in Ushuaia and wildlife in the latter two. There's actually very pretty scenery outside Puerto Chuccabuco, but you'll need to find an excursion that will stop at various points for pictures. There's no real defining destination there, just interesting natural beauty. Finally, Puerto Montt has Petrohue Falls (and the snow-capped volcano in the background) which provides some photo ops. All of these ports are pretty standard for NCL cruises around the horn.

HTH.

Cruises around Cape Horn are available in the South American summer (December to March). We did a Valparaiso (Chile) to Rio de Janiero cruise last December/January. We enjoyed all of our ports (Valparaiso, Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, Falkland Islands, Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Rio). That itinerary gives you multiple opportunities to see penguins and other wildlife on the Falkland Islands (king penguins), Punta Arenas (magellanic penguins) and Ushuaia plus the scenery in Tierra del Fuego is gorgeous. The itinerary also has large, historical cities worthy of visiting.