Missed boarding, possible to join at next port?

iceman77_7

Surprisingly couldn't find any other threads about this. My wife, DS and I are booked on a Disney Wonder cruise leaving out of SD in a few weeks. Due to a sudden work conflict, I will be missing the embarkation time. My wife and DS will still go as planned. We are too close to departure for any refunds. Am I allowed to join the cruise at the first port of call, Ensenada? I'm fully prepared to make my own arrangements to meet the ship there. Do I need to let DCL know in advance and how do I do that?

Surprisingly couldn't find any other threads about this. My wife, DS and I are booked on a Disney Wonder cruise leaving out of SD in a few weeks. Due to a sudden work conflict, I will be missing the embarkation time. My wife and DS will still go as planned. We are too close to departure for any refunds. Am I allowed to join the cruise at the first port of call, Ensenada? I'm fully prepared to make my own arrangements to meet the ship there. Do I need to let DCL know in advance and how do I do that?

Yes, you need to contact DCL now to see if they will allow it.

In the past cruise lines would allow such changes. But, for the most part, they no longer do. Except in cases where the missed embarkation was due to problems on the actual embarkation day (late/cancelled flight, for example).

I found this information from someone who is very knowledgeable about cruising intricacies:

With regards to flying to a foreign port to join late, while this is legal under the PVSA, what has happened in the last year or two, is that CBP has tightened up their requirements. When you check in, and produce your passport or BC/DL, a passenger manifest is made up using this documentation. This is presented to CBP prior to sailing, and then CBP uses this information, during the cruise, to verify identities and do a background check. Many times, people with outstanding warrants are found during this check, and they will be detained upon return to the US. This multi-day screening process by CBP is what allows the very cursory CBP clearance at disembarkation.

Now, if someone joins the ship late, a complete new manifest must be prepared and submitted (with attendant documenting fees to CBP), so this costs the line some money. This also applies to when guests leave the cruise early, even in the case of a deceased passenger. It can also trigger CBP to decide to perform a more thorough screening at disembarkation, with attendant delays to passengers, so they don't want that. NCL had this problem in Tampa, last year, when they had a cruise that was Tampa to Tampa, but was also marketed in Europe as a Belize to Belize (so the Belize boarding passengers were not disembarking in Tampa), which caused CBP to do a full screening of all passengers.

For these reasons, most of the lines are not allowing the advance request for late boarding, or early departure. Delayed boarding due to weather is up to their discretion, and not guaranteed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45882575&postcount=22

Edited by Shmoo here

I have seen DCL to allow people to board at the first port of call or to depart early, but these people either have quite well known surnames or were high level Disney execs. The other situation where I've seen it is when someone with DCL air is on a flight that can't get them to MCO in time to make the ship.

My suggestion--call DCL and ask.

I have seen DCL to allow people to board at the first port of call or to depart early' date=' but these people either have quite well known surnames or were high level Disney execs. The other situation where I've seen it is when someone with DCL air is on a flight that can't get them to MCO in time to make the ship.

My suggestion--call DCL and ask.[/quote']

I called DCL as well as my TA (who then spoke with DCL), they said there is no way to join the ship if I miss the embarkation. Anyone know someone with quite well known surnames or high level Disney execs? (serious question, I'm willing to do almost anything to join the cruise at Ensenada).

I called DCL as well as my TA (who then spoke with DCL), they said there is no way to join the ship if I miss the embarkation. Anyone know someone with quite well known surnames or high level Disney execs? (serious question, I'm willing to do almost anything to join the cruise at Ensenada).

If DCL has said "no", then the answer is "no". You can certainly head out to Ensenada and enjoy the port with your family, but you won't be allowed to board the ship.

Yes, you need to contact DCL now to see if they will allow it.

In the past cruise lines would allow such changes. But, for the most part, they no longer do. Except in cases where the missed embarkation was due to problems on the actual embarkation day (late/cancelled flight, for example).

I found this information from someone who is very knowledgeable about cruising intricacies:

With regards to flying to a foreign port to join late, while this is legal under the PVSA, what has happened in the last year or two, is that CBP has tightened up their requirements. When you check in, and produce your passport or BC/DL, a passenger manifest is made up using this documentation. This is presented to CBP prior to sailing, and then CBP uses this information, during the cruise, to verify identities and do a background check. Many times, people with outstanding warrants are found during this check, and they will be detained upon return to the US. This multi-day screening process by CBP is what allows the very cursory CBP clearance at disembarkation.

Now, if someone joins the ship late, a complete new manifest must be prepared and submitted (with attendant documenting fees to CBP), so this costs the line some money. This also applies to when guests leave the cruise early, even in the case of a deceased passenger. It can also trigger CBP to decide to perform a more thorough screening at disembarkation, with attendant delays to passengers, so they don't want that. NCL had this problem in Tampa, last year, when they had a cruise that was Tampa to Tampa, but was also marketed in Europe as a Belize to Belize (so the Belize boarding passengers were not disembarking in Tampa), which caused CBP to do a full screening of all passengers.

For these reasons, most of the lines are not allowing the advance request for late boarding, or early departure. Delayed boarding due to weather is up to their discretion, and not guaranteed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45882575&postcount=22

My cousins mother passed away and they had to join the cruise at the 2nd port but you must notify the cruise company - this was 2 years ago on a Princess Cruise

My cousins mother passed away and they had to join the cruise at the 2nd port but you must notify the cruise company - this was 2 years ago on a Princess Cruise

What was the cruise (beginning/ending port and port they actually embarked in)?

Yes, in extenuating circumstances a cruise line might allow it. But it does result in the extra paperwork for the cruise lines. And, most of the time, they just don't allow it. I don't believe a "sudden work conflict" would be extenuating.

Princess allows it--both embarking at a later port and early disembarkation. Of course you pay for the whole cruise and are responsible for all your additional expenses. I don't know if this is on ALL their cruises or only when you meet the legal requirements. On our 20 night Princess cruise, we met several people who were disembarking at a port of call rather than continuing back to the embarkation port. I believe their rule is that you must arrange it at least 3 weeks in advance in a non-emergency situation.

The issue is that DCL does not allow it under normal circumstances.

Early disembarkation is different than early embarkation, that's usually easier to obtain as it only requires customs clearance in some port. Embarkation requires security screening, customs, luggage check, etc. For example, to embark in Ensenada, the following all has to happen: 1> US CBP has to approve the revised manifest. 2> Mexican customs has to approve because you are no longer an in transit passenger (since you are arriving one way and leaving another the cruise ship exemption does not apply). 3> Disney has to set up someone to print or deliver a cruise card, load your checked luggage if any (you can always go carryon but they can't bet on that), screen checked luggage, deliver checked luggage, etc. 4> On return, since everyone else was on a closed loop cruise but you, the process is different and you may need to be handled separately.

All of that means a lot of work on Disney's part, which is why the answer is almost always no.

BTW, Princess only allows staggered embarkation on ports within the same customs zone without extenuating circumstance (like the Eurozone/Schengen countries) because the customs requirements don't hinder the process (it's completely ok to transport pax between Schengen ports without additional clearance)

Sounds like Disney said no. I hope you will share with us should you find a loophole.

We tried to do this last year on a Princess California Coastal cruise out of Los Angles and before Ensenada and were declined. So we all boarded on time. One person missed an important work meeting but vacation is vacation (or should be). It's tough when you are invaluable to your organization

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we sailed the Disney Wonder in 2015, our dining mates were in the same situation that you are in. Hubby had a work conflict come up that he couldn't get out of. Unfortunately, he was not permitted to join the sailing late :(

• 6 months later...

I had a friend who was joining me on a California Coastal on Princess a couple of years back. She had to work and so could not make the initial embarkation port (Los Angeles), but Princess did allow her to join at the next port (San Francisco).

Of course, the difference from the Original Poster's circumstance is that both ports were in the U.S.

Even though the original post was old, I suspect the topic is still of interest.

definitely....i deleted my post because it was a whole long response to the original poster regarding family vs work - not really about the issue of DCL letting you board at a different port....

i got all preachy, and when i noticed that it was an old thread, i figured i should delete my response... :)

• 2 months later...
I want to spend the night in port and rebound at the next port in Colombia which is very close. My girlfriend has family there so we were hoping to spend some time with them.

It's best to clear this with the cruise line. They have the final say as to whether it will be allowed.

Basically you are asking to get off the ship in one country and reboard the ship in a different country? It's doubly important to clear it with the cruise line BEFORE the cruise.

Yes, not clear if you are getting off in one port in Colombia and reboarding in another Colombian port, or getting off in one country and reboarding in another. Regardless, you will have to clear immigrations into the country you are staying overnight in (as you are no longer a cruise passenger, but a person entering the country for a stay), and then clear immigrations out of the country where you are reboarding (even if this is the same country). This will have to be done in person with the customs and immigration personnel, not like the blanket clearance given the ship, and this will have to be arranged specially by the cruise line at the port you get off at, and by yourself at the port you want to reboard at. Do you need visas for the countries involved? And remember, you are entering these countries not as a cruise passenger anymore. Also, when you get off the ship, the ship has to prepare a new passenger manifest for the next port, and then when you reboard they have to prepare another new manifest for the next port. Now, given that the final manifest coming back to the US has the same number and names of passengers as the one submitted to CBP at embarkation, it may not trigger a need to submit a new manifest to US CBP, but it may, and this is why cruise lines normally don't allow "intentional" downline embarkation/disembarkation, as CBP now no longer treats this as a closed loop cruise, but as a cruise originating in a foreign port (where you got back on), and this may require a more thorough interview of all passengers at final disembarkation.

• 1 month later...

We will not be able to embark I. LE Harve on our cruose this Monday due to a funeral. there is a second embarkment in Southampton the next day and we can get flights that would work. Is Princess open to make accomadating , especially as this cruose is listed as Southampton cruise.

Edited by Joken35
Spelling errors

We will not be able to embark I. LE Harve on our cruose this Monday due to a funeral. there is a second embarkment in Southampton the next day and we can get flights that would work. Is Princess open to make accomadating , especially as this cruose is listed as Southampton cruise.

Not sure why you're asking here (this is the Disney Cruise Line forum), but this question is best asked of Princess. They would be the ones to make the call as to whether they will allow it or not.