Lobster Rolls

Activesoul

We will be on the Quest Montreal to Boston in October and are looking for recommendation for Lobster Roll on this itinerary. Is it a good time of year for lobster in that area? We have never had lobster rolls and thought this would be a good time and place to try them out.

Thanks.

Never heard of lobster rolls, is this just a roll with lobster in it. If so you can most probably order this any time as the ingredients are on board.

There are various types of lobster rolls depending on who is making them. Usually, it is a mix of lobster, lettuce and mayonnaise in a roll. Very common in New England to the extent that even McDonalds in Massachusetts offer them.

Actually a true New England lobster roll is simply large chunks of fresh (not frozen) local lobster meat gently tossed in a little melted butter stuffed into a buttered and grilled hot dog style roll split open on the top. If you find a place that meets those criteria it will most likely be very good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't know how much time you'll be spending in Boston but coming from the Boston area I would recommend James Hook & Co, 15-17 Northern Ave, Boston, MA 02110. Your cruise stops in Bar Harbor and there I would recommend C-Ray Lobster. You may have to go out of your way to get to each of them but it will be worth the effort.

It's hard to find a bad lobster roll in Maine or in Massachusetts.

Don't know how much time you'll be spending in Boston but coming from the Boston area I would recommend James Hook & Co, 15-17 Northern Ave, Boston, MA 02110. Your cruise stops in Bar Harbor and there I would recommend C-Ray Lobster. You may have to go out of your way to get to each of them but it will be worth the effort.

It's hard to find a bad lobster roll in Maine or in Massachusetts.

C-Ray is a l-o-n-g way out of Bar Harbor, especially with the construction on Rte 3 -- not worth a taxi ride. You are correct that it's hard to find a bad lobster roll in Maine, so there's no need to leave downtown BH. Just avoid the major tourist trap [Testa's].