New Zealand Passenger Arrival Card

We have booked a cruise sailing from Auckland to Sydney, changing ships the next day and continuing with a B2B on a TP to Seattle for our 50th anniversary. See signature.

I was just reading the New Zealand Passenger Arrival Card and one question is..............Have you been in a forest in the past 30 days? Well we live on 11 acres classified as a tree farm in the USA. Are we screwed? Will we be quarantined? Will we be denied entry because we live in the woods? Will our luggage be searched for dirty shoes? HELP, I'm ready to freak out.

They will check your shoes to make sure there is no mud on them..... No drama...its quick and eazy and you probably be out quicker. In that line....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

THANK YOU!!! I'm was thinking quarantined or denied entry. The "Woods" shoes will remain home!!!

Our bio security people are naturally very conscious about border protection. Because you have been on a forest or abattoir within the prescribed period you bags will be checked for contamination especially on your footwear. If something is found the biosecurity people will take it away clean it and return the offending items to you. If nothing is found you will be on your way. A simple way of avoiding significant hold ups and inconvenience is to ensure that all footwear is thoroughly cleaned and that applies to all visitors because everyone is subject to random checks

Thank you for all your help. Another question about the entry card. What about prescription drugs, some of which are narcotics. The word the form uses is illicit. Since nothing is illegal, I assume we don't check that box. All meds will be in original script bottles. My vitamins and allergy pills are all over the counter in USA., but both of us combined are on a lot of meds.

When we travel overseas our first aid kit looks like a mini apothecary. We were asked once at Sydney airport what meds we had with us. Trying to remember every med both prescription and over the counter at the border is a daunting task. To avoid this going forward we make up a list of every med both prescription and over the counter with us in case we are ever asked again. We differentiate prescription and over the counter. All prescription meds are in original containers and we also carry a copy of the doctors prescription.

When one travels overseas one must also be conscious that what med may be over the counter in one country maybe prescription or banned in another. An example of this "Contact NT" an over the counter drug in some countries but banned in NZ and Australia as it is a pre cursor to methamphetamine

That said the authorities of both NZ and Australia are not in the business of preventing tourists from bringing necessary medications for their welfare with them. If you have any concerns tick the arrival card as having drugs upon arrival in both countries and carry them in your carry on luggage in order that should the border authorities want to see them they are readily available.

This opens a further issue that should one have any doubts about what is or is not allowed across the border tick yes on the arrival card. If the item is permitted one will be on ones way within minutes , if not it may be taken off you without penalty , but failure to disclose may have subsequent penalties and a lot of angst.

I wouldn't expect it to be but the Pharmacist who receives an electronic copy from the doctor surely if requested could produce a hard copy for you. Sudafed shouldn't be a problem. We have two types of over the counter meds in NZ. Some are available in supermarkets and others are only available in pharmacies. I will check with my pharmacy during the day and come back to you.

Get a letter from your doctor which lists each of the prescribed meds, including the technical name as well as the brand name.

Allergy meds, e.g., Sudafed, are mostly fine. Some contain pseudoephedrine. So a little more caution. However, to Australia a box or so is usually okay. Declare it.

Anything that includes herbs and spices as main ingredients of natural medicine, there is a lot of things around, may run afoul of quarantine laws rather than Customs.

Get a letter from your doctor which lists each of the prescribed meds, including the technical name as well as the brand name.

Allergy meds, e.g., Sudafed, are mostly fine. Some contain pseudoephedrine. So a little more caution. However, to Australia a box or so is usually okay. Declare it.

Anything that includes herbs and spices as main ingredients of natural medicine, there is a lot of things around, may run afoul of quarantine laws rather than Customs.

Yes it's pseudoephedrine. Once I'm out to sea, I usually don't need it. These 3 cruises are 48 days with a few days in Auckland and an overnight in Sydney, see signature. We also have a scrip for Hydrocodone, Xanax, and Valium. Other meds are not narcotic that I know of. The ones I listed above require a signature and drivers licence to get filled or obtain, like the pseudoephedrine. No herbs, but normal vitamins like D, E, Calcium, Multi, etc.

Thank you so much.

Please tick yes to any question you're not 100% sure about.

Often a customs officer will look at form and ask why you ticked yes, he can then just wave you through or your bags are checked.

We have never been abroad. When we arrive in Auckland, will there be porters or carts to help with our luggage through customs? We can't carry it all and My husband walks with a cane at times, we are always breezed through with a porter after a cruise in the states.

Thank you for your reply.

Ask anything you need to know.

There are no stupid questions.

Sorry no porters.

Lots of luggage trolleys (no fee).

I would STRONGLY suggest you ask airline for wheelchair assist.

It can be a VERY long walk from plane to exit.

Never be shy asking for help and a wheelchair will make your transit stress free. (I speak from experience).

Sorry no porters.

Never be shy asking for help and a wheelchair will make your transit stress free. (I speak from experience).

We are very seasoned cruisers but no experience with overseas flights. Thank you for your kindness. I'll be asking many more questions until 2019.

Yes it's pseudoephedrine. Once I'm out to sea, I usually don't need it. These 3 cruises are 48 days with a few days in Auckland and an overnight in Sydney, see signature. We also have a scrip for Hydrocodone, Xanax, and Valium. Other meds are not narcotic that I know of. The ones I listed above require a signature and drivers licence to get filled or obtain, like the pseudoephedrine. No herbs, but normal vitamins like D, E, Calcium, Multi, etc.

Thank you so much.

We have never been abroad. When we arrive in Auckland, will there be porters or carts to help with our luggage through customs? We can't carry it all and My husband walks with a cane at times, we are always breezed through with a porter after a cruise in the states.

Thank you for your reply.

Mmmm interesting mix there and most I'm VERY familiar with. And as you'll, I imagine, be bringing about two months worth, I'd strongly support a letter from your doctor, a copy of the prescription and make sure you declare them. The Hydrocodone is likely to be the one they show interest in, but I'd be surprised if you have any difficulties provided you do the above.

I always carry extra with me, I did get quizzed once over Oxy when returning to Australia it was pretty short, but they were interested in 4 boxes (at the time about 10 days worth)

Sorry no porters.

Agree wholeheartedly with this, in particular ask away, we're generally happy to help if we can and ASK for a wheelchair, I always do now, especially when boarding the ship, the standing in line kills me.

Mmmm interesting mix there and most I'm VERY familiar with. And as you'll, I imagine, be bringing about two months worth, I'd strongly support a letter from your doctor, a copy of the prescription and make sure you declare them. The Hydrocodone is likely to be the one they show interest in, but I'd be surprised if you have any difficulties provided you do the above.

I always carry extra with me, I did get quizzed once over Oxy when returning to Australia it was pretty short, but they were interested in 4 boxes (at the time about 10 days worth)

Yes, I definitely will declare all meds. Our DR gives a 90 day supply for cheaper insurance costs. It appears as if we have to remove some of the meds and leave half at home? That worries me because they could say that the script was filled last week and half are already gone making us look like we are abusing. Am I overthinking this?

Yes, I definitely will declare all meds. Our DR gives a 90 day supply for cheaper insurance costs. It appears as if we have to remove some of the meds and leave half at home? That worries me because they could say that the script was filled last week and half are already gone making us look like we are abusing. Am I overthinking this?

Yes, just bring what medicines you will need.

Endorse recommendation to ask for wheelchair assistance from your airline.