Evening Entertainment???

1lehrer

Relative to the large ocean cruise ships, Viking's entertainment is less spectacular to say the least.

If entertainment is a priority, best to choose a different ocean cruise line.

We enjoyed the trio playing at various places on the ship, the Living Room, Explorer's Lounge & Wintergarden. Good guitar player too.

In July we took the Viking Homelands cruise, and we enjoyed the entertainment. Philw1776 is correct - the shows are not the big glitzy shows that one sees on other cruise lines. There were 3 young men and 3 young female singers, and a young couple who were the dancers. The guys did a Rat Pack Show, the entire cast did an ABBA show, the young ladies did a show, and there was a Broadway music show. In addition, as Philw1776 indicates there is a guitarist, a pianist, and a classical music trio who perform in different locations on the ship.

After pounding the pavements in port all day (Viking Homelands) I'll be lucky to be able to stay awake for any evening entertainment. Not a deal breaker for me.

To be honest, in two cruises I have seen two shows. By the time dessert came to the table each night, I was ready for quiet time. It had nothing to do with the shows themselves; I was just done (in?) for the day. On the other hand, DH, who is in bed by 9 pm most nights, did not miss a single show, even if it was the second time he was seeing it.

We met such interesting people that dinner with new friends followed by a stroll around the decks took up most of our evenings. We would stop to listen to some of the music in the Atrium.Then we would head back to our cabin to watch the port talk that we had not seen in person that day. I guess that sounds rather low key, but it suited us perfectly.

We were on the Homeland cruise-- Viking Sky Aug. 15-31. We loved the shows at night! The dancing and singing performers were wonderful and very talented. We enjoyed the Caberet, Rat Pack, Abba, Broadway shows as well as the other ones I can't name! We attended one movie night in the theater which included popcorn--not hungry but ate it anyway! We also attended a show with dancing by performers and guests --I think it was by the pool one night. After 2 Viking River cruises (which I loved!) with only piano playing, cooking demo and port talks for entertainment, the ocean cruise was a wonderful change having so much more to offer on a larger ship.

Viking Oceans hires very talented musicians, though there are only a few of them. The pianist on our 2015 Viking Homelands was marvelous, as were the classical trio. Viking Daily always tells you who will be playing where and when (Living Room, Explorer's Lounge, etc.). There was a music trivia game in Explorer's Lounge one night, and some folks also danced to the piano there other evenings. Watch the Viking Daily!

In July we took the Viking Homelands cruise, and we enjoyed the entertainment. Philw1776 is correct - the shows are not the big glitzy shows that one sees on other cruise lines. There were 3 young men and 3 young female singers, and a young couple who were the dancers. The guys did a Rat Pack Show, the entire cast did an ABBA show, the young ladies did a show, and there was a Broadway music show. In addition, as Philw1776 indicates there is a guitarist, a pianist, and a classical music trio who perform in different locations on the ship.

We had the same rotation when we went in June. We saw all the shows and tried to relax for the early entertainment and they were all great. On our tour, we also had a very funny comic. So sometimes, you get guest acts.

We had the same rotation when we went in June. We saw all the shows and tried to relax for the early entertainment and they were all great. On our tour, we also had a very funny comic. So sometimes, you get guest acts.

There were comments a few months back that Viking was adding variety acts to the line up--and retiring one of the musical shows.

We just finished the Homelands cruise and agree with Spursgirl- we thought the singing acts were weak. Heather Clancy, the cruise director, performed one night and she was fabulous. The music in the atrium was pleasant. I think there might have been a movie or two under the stars, but I'd need several heated blankets and a small campfire in order to brave the very cool temps we had. Sometimes just watching and talking with fellow travelers was the most enjoyable way to pend our time.

We just finished the Homelands cruise and agree with Spursgirl- we thought the singing acts were weak. Heather Clancy, the cruise director, performed one night and she was fabulous. The music in the atrium was pleasant. I think there might have been a movie or two under the stars, but I'd need several heated blankets and a small campfire in order to brave the very cool temps we had. Sometimes just watching and talking with fellow travelers was the most enjoyable way to pend our time.

Movies under the stars is by the pool and if the weather is too cool, they close the roof.

• 7 months later...

I am currently on the Star and had a talk with some of the entertainers. Contracts come and go and as of October, Viking had a new production come in to handle the entertainment. They now have 2 male and 2 female singers. The Cruise director and assistant cruise director also perform on occasion. The old shows are gone. The ABBA and Beatles show have been merged together with a different concept. The guitar player now also sings so now is not as acoustical. The piano player is doing songs you are familiar with. There is still a classical trio that I haven't heard as of yet. They brought on entertainment in Barcelona and will also do that in Rome. We have also had 2 performances by a guest comedian/ magic person. We will have another guest entertainer before the cruise is over. This is a 12 night itinerary. The costuming is certainly better. I'll put all the thoughts together after I disembark.

Nice to hear they might be changing up the entertainment a little. After three Ocean cruises with the exact same lineup (ABBA, Rat Pack and Beatles), it will be nice to see something a little different. The trios, pianists and guitarists are always good, if only for what they add to the overall ambience of the public spaces. Having said all that, I can’t say the entertainment is a big deal for me anyway, and I’m perfectly happy to leave the “glitzy” shows to the other cruise lines! :)

And the Viking Band! We loved the band and spent many evenings in Torshavn listening and rocking away!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am currently on the Star and had a talk with some of the entertainers. Contracts come and go and as of October, Viking had a new production come in to handle the entertainment. They now have 2 male and 2 female singers. The Cruise director and assistant cruise director also perform on occasion. The old shows are gone. The ABBA and Beatles show have been merged together with a different concept. The guitar player now also sings so now is not as acoustical. The piano player is doing songs you are familiar with. There is still a classical trio that I haven't heard as of yet. They brought on entertainment in Barcelona and will also do that in Rome. We have also had 2 performances by a guest comedian/ magic person. We will have another guest entertainer before the cruise is over. This is a 12 night itinerary. The costuming is certainly better. I'll put all the thoughts together after I disembark.

As long as they leave the Viking Band I will be happy. We weren’t interested in the shows - just not our thing. We did go to the ABBA show just because it seems to fit.

We enjoyed the classical trio and our guitarist was fantastic! And they brought a steel drum band onboard one night and that was great!

I hope they don’t make too many changes.

Nice to hear they might be changing up the entertainment a little. After three Ocean cruises with the exact same lineup (ABBA, Rat Pack and Beatles), it will be nice to see something a little different. The trios, pianists and guitarists are always good, if only for what they add to the overall ambience of the public spaces. Having said all that, I can’t say the entertainment is a big deal for me anyway, and I’m perfectly happy to leave the “glitzy” shows to the other cruise lines! :)

I don't go on the cruise for the glitzy shows. Viking is what it is and I was happy enough with what was offered but I did feel that was one area where they lacked in trying to have the same quality if attention that they paid to the 'overall' ambiance.

As long as they leave the Viking Band I will be happy. We weren’t interested in the shows - just not our thing. We did go to the ABBA show just because it seems to fit.

We enjoyed the classical trio and our guitarist was fantastic! And they brought a steel drum band onboard one night and that was great!

I hope they don’t make too many changes.

Not to worry. The ABBA, Rat Pack, and Beatles shows are alive and well on the Sky right now, as are the classical trio, guitarist, and Viking Band.

We loved the outstanding gypsy performers in Barcelona and attended the “overview” show at the beginning of the cruise but have skipped the evening shows after that. It’s not really our thing, and we’ve had early-morning excursions most days.

Last night they had a couple of dancing venues, and I believe there is dancing in Torshavn most evenings. But I don’t get the sense that Viking is the cruise line for folks who want lots of nightlife options.

Not to worry. The ABBA, Rat Pack, and Beatles shows are alive and well on the Sky right now, as are the classical trio, guitarist, and Viking Band.

We loved the outstanding gypsy performers in Barcelona and attended the “overview” show at the beginning of the cruise but have skipped the evening shows after that. It’s not really our thing, and we’ve had early-morning excursions most days.

Last night they had a couple of dancing venues, and I believe there is dancing in Torshavn most evenings. But I don’t get the sense that Viking is the cruise line for folks who want lots of nightlife options.

I am afraid I must disagree to a small extent with your last statement about Viking not attracting people who care about nightlife options. We do like all the shows and dancing opportunities and based on the amount of people showing up along with us each night, I'd say there's plenty of interest. The theatre has been packed for every show. At last night's Beatles tribute and Dancing Under the Stars event on the pool deck the dance floor was so crowded you could hardly squeeze in! I'd say Viking cruisers have plenty of life in them past dinnertime.

What I do think, however, is there's not much opportunity for the type of people who want nightlife to the midnight hours and beyond. We've noticed that around 10:30 pm or so the ship has pretty much rolled up the carpet. Or maybe I should, in all fairness, clarify and say that's when "we" call it quits because official Torshavn nightclub hours do go on to midnight. Not that we've lasted long enough to check!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app