What one thing was UNNECESSARY?

jko121

My tablet. I always think I will use it for reading books, taking pictures and quickly get on the internet while in port. Nope, I always end up using my cell phone and I start to read a book, but then end up vegging out and staring at the beautiful ocean water.

This. Just remember to take chargers.

This is the thing though, u never know what u need. I always take too much stuff. Dont unpack your hair conditioner though. You will need it because of swimming.

The last few Caribbean cruises, we have finally figured out the right mix of clothes. In the past, I always packed too many tops and shoes.

For cold weather (like Alaska), I think we do decent, but all those clothes and outerwear take up so much room!

A few things we have learned and work well:

1. My DH packs his "older" boxers and undershirts (he wears an undershirt every day, even under T-Shirts). He then throws those away daily. This frees up 7-8 shirts and boxers and leaves room for the souvenir shirts! Wonderful! We take about 2 cruises a year so this is a great way for him to naturally clear out the old.

2. Since many cruise lines have stopped giving the toiletries individually (unless in Suites or top-tier status), I do have to pack conditioner now. We generally have a pre-night stay at a hotel (or 2) and I will ask them for a few extra bottles and use that on the ship. It helps not to pack a large bottle that I use at home.

3. We have back packs as our carry on (electronics, etc.). They are also perfect for port visits, even on the beach. Sometimes, we'll stash a few snacks or bottles of water depending on what we are doing in port (long bus rides, for example, are uncomfortable if your blood sugar is low and no way to get a quick snack anywhere).

I've never taken anything on any trip that I didn't deem necessary... I've taken lots of things I ended up not using..

You know, it is SO personal.

Absolutely agree with both of you. The things I take, I take because I feel I will need them. It is a personal decision that only you can make. Getting back home and seeing that outfit unworn, or those earrings and bracelets not worn to dinner will make me think twice next time. Until the cycle starts all over again! ;):D:p

I'm glad I found this, though I'm still a bit befuddled... Leaving day after tomorrow and I've been told I should take 14 pairs of shorts and one pair of jeans for a 7 night cruise. :confused:

but I had to laugh....

I find that since I change clothes SO many times 2-3 pair of shorts is PLENTY. I usually toss on shorts & a tee for breakfast (buffet) then change to swimsuit for the pool. Then shower & into capris since it is cooler inside. Then change for dinner & evening...

Unless we had a port intensive Caribbean cruise (where I would likely need different shorts daily), 2-3 pair is plenty since you are only wearing them for a short period of time each day.

Whatever fits in a small backpack or tote and a carry-on size suitcase goes with me and that includes a few books to read and leave on the ship for others.

I take no electronics and generally, no formal wear. I take my own organic lotion, soap, shampoo, etc. in small, reusable containers.

To me, travel is not about hauling my house with me. I love knowing how little I really need!

Edited by Bookish Angel

Ah, one man's meat is another man's poison.

I would consider any vacation during which I did not get to read at least three books a poor one. I love getting up early and reading on the balcony with my room service juice and coffee. It's one of the highlights of the cruise for me. And I would never fall asleep at the pool. I'm deathly afraid of exposing the other PAX to the sleeping drool/snore. My Kindle and iPad are loaded for every trip.

We don't need the shoe holder because our cosmetics cases can be hung over the door; DH's is from LLBean and mine is Vera Bradley. We always drive to our cruise, so we don't have to worry about the airlines' regs.

On the first two cruises we took with DGS, he was still in diapers and couldn't be in the pools. We brought a blow-up pool which fit perfectly between two lounge chairs and also used it to give him a bath. The shower was not an option, and the sink is too small. I don't know how DD and DSIL would have gotten any pool time without it.

I have a pretty good handle on how many of each piece of clothing to bring. I seldom have more than one or two tops that I find I didn't use. But I am not comfortable wearing a shirt more than once in a hot climate, so I prefer to have a spare or two in case of stains. I don't worry about how others on board dress. I dress to please myself. I prefer not to use the laundry on board. I treat my clothes gently and never wash in hot water and hang most of my knits to dry, treatment they don't receive in a commercial laundry.

There seem to be two schools of thought on packing: less is more and better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Finding where you fit and packing accordingly makes your vacation more enjoyable.

Herself collects a lot of the little kits some hotels have and takes them with us, I know she has a couple of little kits with sewing stuff, and one has a small toothbrush, one has a shoe shine cloth thingy that works great, just saves on some of the bigger versions of the same.

I love these discussion boards!!!

Like a previous poster, before our first cruise, I read what felt like every single post on every thread in every discussion!! I had 7 full, hand-written pages on a legal sized tablet of must-haves, suggestions, recommendations, etc. Some suggestions were great, some...less so!! There were recommendations of everything from the over the door organizer to strings of Christmas lights with which to decorate your balcony!

I culled those lists and still ended up taking too much on the cruise. Nope, did not bring the Christmas lights!! But I did bring the over the door organizer, which never got taken out of the suitcase. With just the 2 of us, there was plenty of space and storage for toiletries and bath products.

Some things that made life easier:

:)One of those light-weight, mesh, pop-up hampers from the dollar store. It weighs just a couple ounces, folds down to maybe 6"x6"x1/4", and slides into a suitcase pocket. I set it inside the closet and it was perfect to just drop our dirty items into, rather than having a pile on the floor, or dragging the suitcase out from under the bed every time we had something for dirty clothes.

:)I brought a surge protector with a 4 foot long cord and 6 outlets. I have to plug in my hearing aid charger each night. Also, we each brought tablets which needed charging, and I used the blow dryer. Admittedly, the outlets in the cabin would likely have been enough. It was just so much easier to be able to have things charged where and when we wanted.

:)Always when we travel, I bring the previously mentioned travel sizes of otc med's, as well as a travel sewing kit which fits in my wallet, a travel first aid kit with Neosporin, band-aids, blister blockers, etc.

:)A large zip-loc baggy which got put into the safe and any item which was put into the safe was put into the baggy first. There are edges and lips under which things can get stuck and lost. Also, on our last cruise, the previous guest in our cabin had put his magnetized money/cc clip in the safe and it stuck to the top of the metal safe and he missed it. We turned it in to guest services, but, who knows if he ever got it back?

:)Our own toiletries. Yes, the bathrooms do come with the dispensers in the shower for soap, shampoo and conditioner, however, if one has sensitive skin, or is used to a certain kind of shampoo/conditioner/soap, why risk a rash or unmanageable hair? (yup, I'm kinda spoiled!!)

As for things we brought but didn't need:

The previously mentioned over the door organizer

Far too many shoes and clothes!

Laundry detergent soap pods. Seriously!! Who wants to do laundry on their cruise vacation? We even had an incident where an entire chocolate shake got knocked into hubby's lap. He simply brought the shorts into the shower with him, got them rinsed out and washed with a bit of shampoo, hung to dry and good to go!

Truly, when at home, most people wear most of their clothes more than one time before laundering (well, except for underclothes), so, there is no reason to have to have 2 or 3 or more sets of clothes planned for each day. After all, you really only wear them a few hours at a time. I do suggest at least 3 swim suits, because nobody likes putting on a damp, clammy swimsuit and things take a long time to dry in the Caribbean!!

For the formal nights, I bring crushable, foldable wrinkle free jersey or knit gowns, and hubby wears the same suit with different shirt and tie. In the dining rooms on the other evenings, he mostly wears Tommy Bahama and that style shirts, while I wear nice evening slacks and pretty tops with great accessories.

I did appreciate having the suggested high-liter, as even with it, we missed a few of the activities that we were interested in. A plastic or water-proof tote was essential while in port, although, in future, we would not even bother bringing towels off-ship. It is warm enough in the Caribbean that we were dry very quickly and no need to use a towel and then lug it around all day.

Well, guess that I have filled this with enough (likely useless to others) information. Although, if this helps even one person, I will be happy!

• 2 years later...
That 'over the door' organiser that so many people say is a necessity was a total waste of space for me. Neither my husband nor I used it. I've never packed it again.

That's the one must have-hanging organizer. All the cosmetics,

Contacts/solution, hair brush, hair ties, etc. keeps the teeny

counter free.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My inclination is to take enough clothes to not re-use anything. However, I have modified that quite a bit since we've started doing carry-on only. I now pack one third the number of shorts and tshirts, only one swimsuit, half the socks, etc. I pack one skirt or pants for the MDR, and only two tops to alternate with them. I wear my sneakers to travel, and bring one pair of walking/beach sandals, and one pair of dressy sandals.

Any new user who happens to be reading this thread in its recent reincarnation -- DO NOT BRING ANYTHING THAT IS SURGE PROTECTED. Ship's electricity is different that your land-based home electricity. You are in NO danger of a "surge" but the ship it is danger of FIRE from a surge protector. Bring a common lamp-cord splitter (you probably WILL benefit from additional outlets) but nothing with a reset switch or Joule-rating.

That's the one must have-hanging organizer. All the cosmetics, Contacts/solution, hair brush, hair ties, etc. keeps the teeny counter free.

That depends on what level cabin you have.

Travel in a suite, and if you need more storage space, you packed WAY too much.

Recently, in the bathroom, we had 3 drawers, 2 cabinets with a shelf in each, and LOTS of counter space with 2 sinks. And a counter rail that was big enough for more storage and the towels.

We cruise in Europe where the weather is less predictable so clothing for all eventualities is called for. Something not used on one cruise will still be taken next time if the weather might warrant it.

I take 'travel wash' to rinse through my undies - but still take enough for each day plus a couple of spares. I must learn to do one or the other - take travel wash or take enough for one each day, I don't need to do both!

We put everything in the living room floor to pack. Then we put half of it back in the closet. That is what we take. Women take too many shoes, men take too many shorts and slacks. We have come back with items not used and make notes of them for the next time. Best way is put half back in the closet and go from there. If you must use the ship's laundry facilities with a roll of quarters.

Your roll of quarters is also on the don't need list. You can get quarters from the guest services desk and many of the machines on the ships don't take quarters but tokens or your cruise card.

DON

That 'over the door' organiser that so many people say is a necessity was a total waste of space for me. Neither my husband nor I used it. I've never packed it again.

Couldn't agree more.

No idea how much stuff people must take to needone of these.

As a male, one pair of dress shoes, i.e. black, is enough along with the walking shoes that I normally wear daily, including when using the gym, and wear when boarding. If one is going to use the pools or spa, flip-flops or very simple slide-on-the-foot slippers is quite adequate.

I have learned that I tend to pack too many shorts. By some miracle, I somehow manage to keep my clothes "cleaner" during a cruise than I do at home. Used to take 3 pairs; 2 works well. If one pair is soiled, I have the back-up to wear while the laundry crew work their magic.

I took too many bathing suits. I took 3, just in case. Figuring two to have for back to back water days.

But found they were dry enough by morning to wear again.

YMMV, depending on the exact suit material.

I don't think that 100% were not needed.

The towel clips for the loungers are very nice to have.

A power strip comes in handy.

Some way to leave someone in another cabin a note was useful.

The electric candles were nice in the evening.