Avalon Dining

Lindy028

We have just booked our first river cruise, on Avalon Tapestry ll. We are ocean cruisers and decided to give River Cruising a try on the recommendation of friends.

I have been reading as much as I can on the forum, but have a question about seating at dinner. I have read contrasting comments about tables for 2, we understood that no tables for 2 are available. I have just read a review which said that although they are close together, tables for 2 are available. We will happily share a table, but it would be nice to have the option of a table for 2.

We depart in 3 weeks so we have much catching up to do. All hints and tips will be much appreciated! :D

I was not on Tapestry - I was on Vista. On Vista, there were tables for 2 that were very close to other tables. It's a river cruise. The dining room is not large - ALL tables are close to each other.

It's much easier to stay just 2 at breakfast when people eat at a slightly more staggered time. Most people go to dinner right after the next days' briefing, held in the lounge, so you get a bunch of people all at once....

I've looked for photos of Tapestry II online and the dining room looks like what we had on Vista, but you're right that I don't see tables for 2 - I see a grouping of 6 that is most likely composed of 3 two-tops....

Hoyaheel, many thanks for taking the time to reply. I can see that the tables for 2 are close together, much like some ocean ships we've been on.

We wouldn't want a large table, as we did that on our very first cruise and 2 people totally dominated the conversation and we felt exhausted at the end of dinner! We'll take things as they come, we are just looking forward to trying something new and sampling the wonderful food!

We love Azamara and Oceania, so are looking forward to comparing the service and the food.

cruise and 2 people totally dominated the conversation and we felt exhausted at the end of dinner!

I've posted before that, as someone who's turned into an introvert, I prefer the large tables - my husband (an extrovert) has people to chat with, but with more people - it's not as evident if I just enjoy my meal and don't talk. Of course, those times with "dominators" can be challenging - no matter the size of the table! River cruising, though, it's only one meal - just pick someone different next time ;p

Remember that on River Boats the seating is not fixed. You can sit at a different table every night. If you want to sit at a large table but avoid a dominant couple take your time in getting to the dining room and then you can select the table with the people you would prefer to sit with. We have made great friends sitting at 6 people tables (find 8 too big). Meeting people is part of the fun of cruising I find.

I am looking forward to the sociable dinners on my first river cruise in December. But on our 50th anniversary, we might want a table for two if possible. We were thinking of splurging on a bottle of nice champagne. And not to be cheap or selfish or anything, we might not prefer to share it with six other people! But however it works out, we know it will be a great celebration.

Congratulations for your 50th in December. I am sure, no matter what line you are sailing with, if you explain the situation when you board, they will pull out all the stops to make your evening special for the 2 of you! No, you are not mean, your bottle of Champagne is a tribute to your 50 years together, and should be enjoyed by just the two of you.

I hope your cruise is everything you want it to be. Enjoy!

We love Azamara and Oceania, so are looking forward to comparing the service and the food.

I am an Oceania fan and very much enjoy the food and service on their ships. You may want to read the stickies on this forum that compare the ocean cruise lines to the river lines. Oceania compares to AMA and I have to agree with that assessment (based on my own experiences sailing with 4 river cruise lines and on 15 total river cruises).

Enjoy your first river cruise!

Edited by caviargal