Huahine on our own - one day

mjthecruiser

We have a day in Huahine on our cruise next week. I was thinking about planning the day without any tours. I think I want to go to Fare to look around and do some shopping. Is that worth a couple of hours? After that we would like to go to the beach. Are there public beaches near Fare? Does the Hotel Maitai Lapita let cruisers use their beach without a reservation? We would have lunch and a couple of drinks there.

We have a day in Huahine on our cruise next week. I was thinking about planning the day without any tours. I think I want to go to Fare to look around and do some shopping. Is that worth a couple of hours? After that we would like to go to the beach. Are there public beaches near Fare? Does the Hotel Maitai Lapita let cruisers use their beach without a reservation? We would have lunch and a couple of drinks there.

There is a shuttlefrom the dock into Fare. No beach that is stellar around Fare. MaiTai could be trick as that is the beach day location for the PG excursion plus the Resort is owned by the same company as the PG. why not just book the excursion?

There is a shuttlefrom the dock into Fare. No beach that is stellar around Fare. MaiTai could be trick as that is the beach day location for the PG excursion plus the Resort is owned by the same company as the PG. why not just book the excursion?

That is interesting that they are owned by the same company - the ship's excursion day pass there is quite a bit more expensive than if you just book it directly.

Hi MJ, would appreciate your sharing the results of your independent plans in Huahine when you return. We're also interested in some beach time there but the ship's excursion is not what we're looking for. Many independent online sources indicate there is a public, white sand beach within walking distance of the quay in Fare but unsure where that would be. Cheers!

When you get off the ship's tender you will see an old wooden bus.This is the free shuttle to Fare,it takes 20-30 minutes to get there.when you arrive in Fare,walk along the waterfront to the right past the bar and restaurant.In approx. 2 minutes you will reach a beach area that is good for swimming,in fact it is very pleasant.About a dozen people from the ship wandered along there and enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

We eventually took the free shuttle to Fare where we walked around a big enjoying a coconut drink and seeing some crafts. We also walked to the right after getting off the shuttle to a lovely public beach. There are pebbles on the entrance to the water so water shoes help, but it was a beautiful way to spend the day.