Very tall people cruising

germanyboy

Just get some cards like this made up c392c9338da1057513f898d95dbc4123.jpg

that is so funny...

perfect for DH (who's 6' 7")..

he gets those questions still to this day (he's now 61)...

how tall are you, how's the weather, did you play basketball in school (no)

actually, he became very close friends with one of the total pranksters in his summer camp because of one of those questions...

a kid he normally would never have been friendly with...

they were about 15 years old...

the very short kid, walks up to DH and says, "how's the weather up there"

to which DH spit on him and said, "it's raining"..

the kid guffawed and they have been close friends ever since (even today at 61)..

and it was so out of character for DH...a total geek, bookish, PhD vs his friend, the jock car mechanic....

(apparently, opposites do attract)..

• 2 weeks later...

All right, I couldn't resist chiming in ( my daughter describes me as being freakishly tall - also 6' 7".

I went into high school as a short person and exited as the tallest person in our large class. Fifty years later I still don't think of myself as tall. Yeah, I view photos taken with others and the difference is obvious but the self image remains. I find it interesting that when I encounter other tall people that I don't feel like I'm "with my people". In fact, like everyone else I'm used to seeing people of normal hight. Meeting someone my own hight, or taller, seems a little weird.

I enjoyed seeing the seventeen year old's card, as for years I was bothered by the constant questions. I usually tried to brush off the questions and have mellowed with age but once, caught on a bad day, I answered the "did you play basketball" question with a snarky question: "no, did you play pee wee golf?" I only used that one once, to a woman in a Safeway store and we both had a good laugh so I considered myself lucky and never tried it again.

Now pushing seventy, I was taught a lesson in gracefully handling this ever present "hight thing". A couple of years ago, I was walking along the waterfront in Lahaina and a man came across the street and almost ran into me. We both stopped and I looked up almost a foot to the man's face. As I mentioned, I've been bombarded with hight questions most of my life so what do you think I said? I said " I'm really sorry to ask you this"- he stopped me, put out his hand and said " I'm Shawn Bradley (former NBA player) and I'm 7'6"". We talked for a few minutes and as he left, he looked down at me and said, "I'll bet that you're normally the tallest person in a room". We both laughed.

After Shawn's lesson, I've realized that the questions are almost always complements and I now make an effort to try to share a pleasant moment with anyone that takes the time to "say hello".

"pee wee golf"...LOL... i have to tell DH that one...he'll love it..

as for the basketball story...

we have a similar one.....another really tall guy....although he was 'only' 7'2"....

and we just had to ask him ("how tall ARE you?")

and yes, he was a pro basketball player....

by the way, DH was always tall, from the day he was born...

My Son-in-law who is 6 foot nine is worried about cruising on Disney. Can you tell one of the good things a very tall person could look forward to on the Disney cruise, and the bad things. And how to make the best of it.

My son is 6'8" and never had any real problems on Fantasy. One thing to note, however - if it is a concern, make sure you don't book a room on the same deck as the kids' club. Disney has deliberately made the corridor ceilings lower on that deck to make the kids feel just a little taller! Still plenty of height for most, but those low-hanging signs will be a bit lower on that deck...

My son is 6'8" and never had any real problems on Fantasy. One thing to note, however - if it is a concern, make sure you don't book a room on the same deck as the kids' club. Disney has deliberately made the corridor ceilings lower on that deck to make the kids feel just a little taller! Still plenty of height for most, but those low-hanging signs will be a bit lower on that deck...

Yeah. I was going to say I think as long as you're not booked on Deck 5, you'll be ok.

Yeah. I was going to say I think as long as you're not booked on Deck 5, you'll be ok.

thanks for that...i'm off to check what deck we're on as i don't remember..

we booked very late and grabbed the only two cabins we could find together...

ok, i just looked and see we're on deck 9! :D

• 6 months later...

so i said i would post once we got back from our cruise on the Disney Dream.

when we were on the cruise, i forgot about it until one morning i was lying in bed, trying to talk myself into getting up for the day when i noticed how very close my husband's head was to the ceiling.

Especially to a crossbeam that goes through the middle. The top of his head could actually touch the ceiling at that point if he straightened up completely - which he tends not to do (after having hit his head too many times through the years).

But anyway, that's when i noticed how low the ceiling is.

We have very high ceilings in our house, so this was probably even more noticeable.

an earlier poster said the ceilings are 7 ft and that could well be true. We didn't measure, but it seemed less than a half foot over his head.

But that beam that cuts through the middle is more like six and a half feet or maybe 6 feet 7 inches.

I asked him if the low ceiling bothered him and he said absolutely not.

The shower was a bit more challenging. He said he had to completely bend over to get his head under the stream.

Which isn't surprising since my daughter, who's only 5 ' 10" tall said she couldn't fit her head under the shower head without bending down a bit.

so i said i would post once we got back from our cruise on the Disney Dream.

when we were on the cruise, i forgot about it until one morning i was lying in bed, trying to talk myself into getting up for the day when i noticed how very close my husband's head was to the ceiling.

Especially to a crossbeam that goes through the middle. The top of his head could actually touch the ceiling at that point if he straightened up completely - which he tends not to do (after having hit his head too many times through the years).

But anyway, that's when i noticed how low the ceiling is.

We have very high ceilings in our house, so this was probably even more noticeable.

an earlier poster said the ceilings are 7 ft and that could well be true. We didn't measure, but it seemed less than a half foot over his head.

But that beam that cuts through the middle is more like six and a half feet or maybe 6 feet 7 inches.

I asked him if the low ceiling bothered him and he said absolutely not.

The shower was a bit more challenging. He said he had to completely bend over to get his head under the stream.

Which isn't surprising since my daughter, who's only 5 ' 10" tall said she couldn't fit her head under the shower head without bending down a bit.

For future reference, he can use the shower in the locker room at the gym. I think your daughter would need to be 16 (possibly 18) to do so, but for adults anyway the gym shower is always an option.

yes i know, but it's not worth it to him to go all the way to the gym just to avoid a bit of discomfort.

it's not as if he's not used to that.

Rarely does any hotel have a shower tall enough for him.

His own fault. No one told him to be tall. :cool:

If your a deck or 2 below the gym and have a full room, it helps to speed up getting ready for dinner after a day on Castaway Cay.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk