First time on DCL, some questions for Magic

Fido Chuckwagon

Myself, my wife, and our 2 year old toddler are sailing on the September 27th Canada/ New England Cruise (provided it doesn't get cancelled because of a hurricane). We've previously sailed NCL, RCL, and Celebrity, but never Disney so had a few questions I was hoping someone could help with:

1. Is there cell service on the Disney Magic? On other ships I've been on with other cruise lines there was cell service, but I can't seem to find an answer for the Magic.

2. Does Disney re-route due to hurricanes? Other cruise lines the answer was yes. I'm trying to figure out where Disney would reroute to for a 5 day itinerary out of NYC. Bermuda? Seems too short to head south to Florida/Bahamas.

3. I thought I read somewhere that I can request some kind of diaper pail for the room, is this true? How do I do this?

4. Any other tips for cruising Disney with a toddler? I've only ever cruised in suites with her before, this is the first time we're going to try to have her in the same room with us because Disney's suites are so astronomically priced, so we're kind of nervous about it. (We booked a VGT Balcony and got placed into a Deluxe Family Balcony room so seems like we made out pretty well).

Thanks!

Myself, my wife, and our 2 year old toddler are sailing on the September 27th Canada/ New England Cruise (provided it doesn't get cancelled because of a hurricane). We've previously sailed NCL, RCL, and Celebrity, but never Disney so had a few questions I was hoping someone could help with:

1. Is there cell service on the Disney Magic? On other ships I've been on with other cruise lines there was cell service, but I can't seem to find an answer for the Magic.

2. Does Disney re-route due to hurricanes? Other cruise lines the answer was yes. I'm trying to figure out where Disney would reroute to for a 5 day itinerary out of NYC. Bermuda? Seems too short to head south to Florida/Bahamas.

3. I thought I read somewhere that I can request some kind of diaper pail for the room, is this true? How do I do this?

4. Any other tips for cruising Disney with a toddler? I've only ever cruised in suites with her before, this is the first time we're going to try to have her in the same room with us because Disney's suites are so astronomically priced, so we're kind of nervous about it. (We booked a VGT Balcony and got placed into a Deluxe Family Balcony room so seems like we made out pretty well).

Thanks!

1) There is cell service. But it costs a lot of money. The calls all go through Cellar at Sea.

2) The Captain will re-route as necessary. No way of telling where the ship may go.

3) Have the request for a Diaper Genie placed on your reservation. Call DCL to do this.

4) The Deluxe Family Oceanview with Verandah is the largest "regular" room you can get. There will be plenty of room for you.

We were on the Magic last March with our 4yr and 2yr olds. They had a blast and still talk about it almost everyday.

Correction to above: 3- You request this from the stateroom host/hostess after you board. We asked our host (Awais from India is awesome!) when he came by to introduce himself the first afternoon. He brought it after evening turn down.

There is "cellular at sea" service--last I knew, it was $2.99 per minute plus any charges your carrier might impose. To contact people who are cruising with you, the wave phones (in your cabin) are free to use. To contact people at home, e-mail is much more efficient. In your booklet there should be cards that detail how to reach the ship in an emergency for people at home--this will ring to your room and if you don't pick up, will ring to guest services. They'll get a message to you telling you who you need to contact at home and whatever message people left.

Internet on the ship--you can get a 50mb package FREE provided you sign up before midnight on embarkation day. That'S a lot of e-mail provided all your data eating apps are turned off.

Of course the DCL ships re-route when a hurricane necessitates that.

Ask your stateroom host for a diaper genie, or better, have the request noted on your reservation in advance.

DCL cabins are much larger than those on other lines we've cruised, and you lucked into the biggest "non-suite" available. You'll be fine.