Do you use a lanyard for your sea pass?

StevenStephen

I can't imagine sailing without a lanyard. It was SO convenient. I like to be hands-free, and I worry about things falling out of my pocket (or being forced to wear clothing with pockets to carry things like a cruise card...) I didn't feel as though anyone looked tacky with them, just looked like people wanting to stay hands free and enjoy their trip. I got mine on Amazon - they've got some really fashionable looking ones on there. They had some nice ones for sale on the ship too. There is no way my husband and I would sail without them!

Whatever floats your boat! The most important thing is having something that fits you and your style. If you prefer freeing your hands while at the buffet, walking on the beach or shopping then perhaps the lanyard is the best option for you! Some may have children to look after and it would be easier to have everyone's pass in one pouch on one lanyard. Sometimes I wear dresses/skirt without pockets and may not want to carry a bag or purse so a lanyard would be perfect. I purchased a waterproof phone case that has a lanyard string. Can't wait to use it on my upcoming MSC cruise in October!

• 1 month later...

As for myself no, when ever I'm on my own walking around the ship it's in my pocket. Most of the time I don't need it, and my wife has it. As for her she has a small over the shoulder coach travel lite purse if you will, that she always uses. Yet on our last cruise people we meant years ago while on vacation in Key West, that now are our vacation buddy's, 5 cruises later, just bought my wife one as a gift! And yes it it has a lot of Bling, so she maybe the Keeper of the Sail and Sign Cards, in her new Blinging Lanyard! but for myself I'm a pocket guy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I use different things at different times.

Going to breakfast, then to the pool on sea days, I use a lanyard.

For evenings, I use my pockets.

Off the ship, it is pockets if not doing water things. If I am doing water things, I use a dry box on a lanyard to carry sea pass, DL, a credit card, and some cash. I got mine at a water park.

Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=waterproof+box+lanyard&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awaterproof+box+lanyard

Someone mentioned on one of the many "prepare for your cruise" threads I read, a cell phone lanyard by Gear Beast. I used that lanyard the whole time. Always had my hands free and my phone was right there if I wanted to take a pic. Most of the time I didn't have pockets and if I did by the time I'd dig my phone out the picture op would be gone. DH used lanyard on the ship most of the time and pocket off (better pockets.)

IMO, lanyards make you look like you are in kindergarten and the teacher wants to make sure that you don't get lost. This is something you rarely see on premium cruise lines and never on luxury cruise lines. We use pockets and small handbags. Not trying to make fun of anyone - just don't understand why people need lanyards on a ship yet you never see them in "real life". Do you hang your house key or car key around your neck?

IMO, lanyards make you look like you are in kindergarten and the teacher wants to make sure that you don't get lost. This is something you rarely see on premium cruise lines and never on luxury cruise lines. We use pockets and small handbags. Not trying to make fun of anyone - just don't understand why people need lanyards on a ship yet you never see them in "real life". Do you hang your house key or car key around your neck?

For me in "real life (everyday non vacation mode)" I rarely need to use my id, I pay cash at bars or run a tab so I give them a card once. I generally wear slacks and a shirt with a pocket in real life so I have plenty of places for wallets, cards, phone. My wallet is always in the same pocket, my keys in the same pocket, my phone in the same place.

If I am in a hotel I can sign for my meal or bar tab with my room number, no id required. A cruise handles transactions different than most commerce in the world today, they require the id/pay card for each transaction, even for passing cash across a gaming table.

A few years ago I was travelling on business and my sales rep was in the same airport, we met near his gate and I left for my gate which was about 20 minutes away. When I was sitting with him I thought misplaced my ID, when I got to my gate I couldn't board. I emptied my carry on and had slipped it in there when "undressing" at security. After that I started using the neck wallet. I really don't care what I look like. My id is readily available and doesn't go anywhere.

Since then I am almost always TSA pre approved so I don't use the neck wallet anymore.

I was on my first cruise this summer wearing shorts and shirts, usually kept my S&S card in my shirt pocket but it was inconvenient because when I pulled my phone out of my shirt pocket it usually came out at the same time so I bought a lanyard.

My goal is to relax and enjoy myself on vacation so I will use what works best for me, at 66 I am not as concerned about appearance as I am function. I am always neat and clean, and I think polite to others.

A-

I don't use lanyards, but used to. Now I carry my device everywhere to take pictures, read, etc. so bought a plastic thing to put on the back. I put my card in it. I have never had any problem losing or forgetting it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I use a twisty wrist band - less of a distraction than a lanyard, but keeps the card convenient.

I will echo those who have said to not display your card on shore. That will only increase your being a target for pick pockets and hucksters.

Enjoy your cruise - we are at 29 and counting!!

You brought up a point that I didn't think of...... identifying yourself as a tourist in port. Actually, since we cruise on premium and luxury cruise lines, lanyards are not an issue ....... they simply are not used.

I just bought a awesome RFID cross body flat nylon protector from Office Depot for $16. I had to get it online as my stores didn't have it but it was free shipping. It has a holder in the front you can see through that could be used for your Sea Pass. There are zippers on the sides that could be used for money or other items. And there is a Velcro opening that lets you put credit cards in 2 separate compartments or travel tickets. It lays flat on your body inside or out with a long flat necklace. I received the tan color but there is a black also. I am going to love it for traveling through airports, train stations or just shopping. No more taking a heavy purse for me at check in. I feel this will be well worth the money!!

Hi there. One tip that I've often seen suggested is to get a lanyard to hold the ship sea pass. I sort of like the idea...in particular I have seen a waterproof one that would hold the pass, some cash and an ID. This sounds like a great idea for beach excursions.

Oh, and I'll admit that I've seen those sparkly rhinestone lanyards on Amazon.com. Tempting if only because they just look fun.

Thoughts?

I use one that clips to my belt. It doesn't show up as much, but it's there when I need it.

• 3 weeks later...

No. My normal cruise buddy does, and it just looks ridiculous. I started sticking that puppy in my bra on my first cruise, and that's what I've stuck to ever since.....though if I happen to be wearing pants with pockets, it MIGHT go in one. Possible. Those feel more dangerous to me.

When I go to shore, I STILL keep it in my bra (with my drivers license). That way, if the worst happens, and someone steals my bag, I can at least get back on the ship.

I do not understand the problem with wearing lanyards. Due to security concerns, many building in NYC require all employees to wear lanyards to enter and leave the office buildings as well as walk around the offices. From the President of the company to the janitor.

When off the ship, I put the sea pass card in my handbag or backpack. But on the ship around my neck as I do not carry a handbag or anything with pockets, It is very handy.

This thread started out as a serious question, but I just laughed my butt off reading all the replies!

The reason I asked in the first place is that, while I've gotten better over the years, I still misplace things. I'd probably keep my lanyard under my shirt or jacket. Heck, I might just put a big "Hi, My Name Is..." on it. I don't mind if somebody thinks I'm a noobie...I will be! I've pretended I've known what I was doing for years...long enough to know that it's exhausting.

Gosh, In a few minutes I've gone from being embarrassed for asking about lanyards...to deciding that I'm going to have a wardrobe of them. A black rhinestone one for formal night (with my black suit), maybe a blue rhinestone (or orange to match my bathing suit) one for by the pool...and that waterproof thing for the excursions.

Oh, and if somebody has the GUTS to snatch that from my neck...God help them. I'm 6' 2" and one darn fast running muscle bear.:eek:

Hilarious :D. Thank you so much. You just made my day with your reply. Please post a picture of your lanyards for us will you if you get them ;)??? And by the way, I always used one!!!

Who cares what other cruisers think. You'll never see these people again, anyway. Do what YOU want to do and have fun doing it. I use a lanyard because it is easy for me to keep up with. Off the ship I tuck it down my shirt. Sure makes it easy getting back on the ship when they just swipe it and people are behind me digging in their wallets, pouches, camera cases, etc. When I buy a drink I just tuck the receipt in the lanyard with the card until I get to my cabin. Means I don't have to carry something around with me all over the ship. Buy a cute one and treat yourself. My BH has a Guinness lanyard and it was a conversation starter many times on our last cruise.

I agree!! :cool:

I do not understand the problem with wearing lanyards. Due to security concerns, many building in NYC require all employees to wear lanyards to enter and leave the office buildings as well as walk around the offices. From the President of the company to the janitor.

When off the ship, I put the sea pass card in my handbag or backpack. But on the ship around my neck as I do not carry a handbag or anything with pockets, It is very handy.

I'm with you. The last 20 years of my career I used an entrance keycard "badge" and we were issued lanyards with the badges, usually printed with the company name or logo. I wore a lanyard every day from about 1982 or so until I retired in 2003.

I just took my first cruise ever on Holland America last month and used a lanyard for my card. Worked really nicely for me. It didn't seem to get in the way of anything (no interference with eating/etc.). I did NOT wear it off the ship, however, as I took a small cross-body bag with money/credit card/etc. and I just slipped the card w/ lanyard into my bag.

I have 3 more cruises scheduled -- two on Holland America and one on Oceania -- and I'll likely use a lanyard on those as well. If someone takes offense, so be it. If my wearing a lanyard causes them so much personal distress, I'd say they have bigger problems that reach far beyond my choice for keeping my card handy and secure. :rolleyes: :D

Gosh. Thanks Emmasoma. Your response echoed what I've finally decided. I'm probably overthinking things waaay toooo much...I don't earn enough to go on cruises. This is sort of a freak chance that somebody is paying for my trip. So, I'm just trying to make sure that I've got all my bases covered as I really want this to be all it can be. I feel sort of like Charlie in the Chocolate Factory with a golden ticket.

I'll get a fun lanyard for running around the ship and to the pool...knowing I can always just take it off the lanyard for when it's less appropriate.

I know I asked for opinions...and I thank you for them. The reactions that have been tossed around...by looking new or like a tourist...amuse me a bit. I've seen what feels like hundreds of cruise vacation videos; NONE of them look native to the islands. That anyone would think that they would blend in or that they'd be safer...that's a riot. Thanks!

LOL!! You Crack me up. If you really want to look like a tourist right off the ship, wear your brand new pair of white tennis shoes. ( don't do that, wear your broken in ones so you don't get blisters ). And point at all the buildings and things you see as you are walking to your first eating place or going to get a drink on the beach. The pick-pockets will spot you a block away. Just keep reading all the tips here and it will be the best time of your life. Have a great time on your first cruise.

LOL!! You Crack me up. If you really want to look like a tourist right off the ship, wear your brand new pair of white tennis shoes. ( don't do that, wear your broken in ones so you don't get blisters ). And point at all the buildings and things you see as you are walking to your first eating place or going to get a drink on the beach. The pick-pockets will spot you a block away. Just keep reading all the tips here and it will be the best time of your life. Have a great time on your first cruise.

My vision of a tourist is a person wearing a fanny pack, a tommy bahama flowered shirt and carrying a map