Last minute cruise booking.

Wendy wonderer

Hi everyone,

We were meant to cruise with a friend which fell through now we have 2 and a half weeks before we fly to New York and we would like to book a cruise. Which sites have great deals for booking last minute cruises? Some please say to wait up to 3 days before to get a great deal. Any suggestions please. Thank you.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseto/cruiseitineraries.cfm?startDate=2017-10&endDate=2017-10&depcity=269

Do not wait too long! Go to the cruiseline's website for any of the cruises on that search, that meet your time and $$ constraints, and see how the available cabins are looking. You can book from the website or call -- for real close times, better call because they are probably moving "guarantees" and "upsells" around faster than the website can be updated.

3-days is too close. If there are any rooms, they will likely be highly undesirable. And the cruiseline has to provide a list of passengers to Customs and Immigration some time before sailing.

Also, do not forget your passports when you fly to NYC! Hope you find something and have a great time!

I wouldn't wait until three days before, even though it's possible to book a cruise that late. When I've been tracking prices, I see more cruises selling out way before then, with prices going up toward the end. To me, the sweet spot for booking seems to be 6-8 weeks before the cruise.

There is a "Find a Cruise" feature here on Cruise Critic you can use. That will give you an idea of what's available generally.

It is possible to book 3 days before the cruise? Yes. How do I know? We did it. On the 15th of Dec. one year we were trying to decide what to do for Christmas. I spotted an 18 day cruise on Amsterdam going through the Panama Canal over Christmas and New Years leaving on the 18th. I was on the line with the TA as I was booking flights from Florida to California to meet the ship. So don't be discouraged. It can be done.

BTW: we were able to book an outside cabin on the promenade deck, which is our favorite place to be.

Hi everyone,

We were meant to cruise with a friend which fell through now we have 2 and a half weeks before we fly to New York and we would like to book a cruise. Which sites have great deals for booking last minute cruises? Some please say to wait up to 3 days before to get a great deal. Any suggestions please. Thank you.

I have booked a lot of last minute cruise's via ncl.com up to the night before sailing.

The NY cruise market is relatively limited when compared to the very busy Florida ports. But you are coming the NY during the Canada/New England cruise season...which is a very popular time to cruise out of the 3 NYC Ports. At this point you are already at the "last minute" and waiting will likely not help..and may make things much more difficult or not even available. Our advice is book now!

You can certainly shop around among a few reputable cruise agencies and perhaps enhance your booking amenities such as On Board Credits. As others have mentioned, we are not permitted to recommend specific agencies here on CC.

Hank

try something like a take out vacation. you might think about that and try something like vacations**** dot com

Or...you can always go to any travel booking site that specializes in cruises. They will connect you to a search engine. Simply search by your port of departure, date range, etc. See what comes up. You may see what cruise lines are in play and start from there.

You could find youself with a very attractive offer. We have done something similar in a few locations and have had some good luck.

Thank you so much for all you help guys. I will get started straight away. Trying to call American TA is pricey from South Africa but might be my best bet.

I dint know where to find this thread again? I got a email saying someone replied and clicked on there and saw so many other people had too. Sorry new to this site.

The NY cruise market is relatively limited when compared to the very busy Florida ports. But you are coming the NY during the Canada/New England cruise season...which is a very popular time to cruise out of the 3 NYC Ports. At this point you are already at the "last minute" and waiting will likely not help..and may make things much more difficult or not even available. Our advice is book now!

You can certainly shop around among a few reputable cruise agencies and perhaps enhance your booking amenities such as On Board Credits. As others have mentioned, we are not permitted to recommend specific agencies here on CC.

Hank

Thank you Hank. We don't mind going out of any Port actually so will check out Florida too. Just wondering what the Caribbean cruises would be like now after all the hurricanes?! We cannot do the Canadian cruises as we need a visa for Canada I think .

You can do it online, no issue. Someone may ask you for an address.

It would be good if you had an accommodation address handy. Address, postal code etc. of a contact in North America. We have this for Europe and Australia. Only had to use the UK address once (our son's)

BTW, a few years ago we spent 8 days in Kruger and then another 14 days driving from Port Elizabeth to CT with lots of detours along the way. You have a beautiful country. We met so many friendly people along the way. It remains of our favourite trips.

You can do it online, no issue. Someone may ask you for an address.

It would be good if you had an accommodation address handy. Address, postal code etc. of a contact in North America. We have this for Europe and Australia. Only had to use the UK address once (our son's)

BTW, a few years ago we spent 8 days in Kruger and then another 14 days driving from Port Elizabeth to CT with lots of detours along the way. You have a beautiful country. We met so many friendly people along the way. It remains of our favourite trips.

Thank you for the advice we have friends staying in Boston and San Francisco so we could use their address. I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip to SA we really do have a beautiful country thank you.