Who wears Speedo's on their cruise?

WinnieinWA

Speedos don't look good on the majority of men and while I think everyone should cover up when not in the pool, especially around children, it doesn't have a dress code so I guess anyone should be allowed to wear them if they want to. Regardless of age, size, etc.

People here (and in the US, it seems), use the term "Speedos" like people use the term "Kleenex" for any tissue.

Nothing has changed, it seems. I look at where the posters live and see that most of the negative comments are from US residents. Perhaps that xenophobic and prudish outlook on what others are wearing (love the "protect the children"-type comments) are inbred thanks to our forefathers... Cruise ships are international, so one cannot and must not expect everyone to conform to our US-based ideas of what is appropriate swimwear.

I don't think I saw any "protect the children" comments regarding the potential sightings of women in bikini tops that barely cover the breasts AND are so basic that nipples are clearly visible and those that have the tight-fitting bottoms (be it bikini, capri, leggings) that clearly display the "camel toe." What about the females who wear their Speedo/Arena-competitive swimming suits where, because of their type, leave nothing to the imagination. Where is the outrage for these???

I grew up in a family of swimmers - competitive through college. Maybe that is why I don't care about any male, from little kids to seniors, in a Speedo-like suit.

If you are bothered by this, be sure you do not go to any bobsled or skeleton competitions - they wear very, very tight skin suits. And, in many cases, due to the weights rules, they will go "skin to win" (nothing underneath)...nothing left to the imaginations as they walk around the start and finish areas...

Years ago, on an international land trip, I was told many European men wore "speedo" type swimming suits because the tight fit kept pubic hair from getting in the pool. They consider tight fitting suits more hygienic.

Just what I was told.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 7 months later...
No one, and I mean No one looks good in a speedo, Seriously....you don't:eek:

I totally agree. It is right up there with a heavy set woman wearing bright thong underwear under tight leggings you can see through. That was one sight I could have done without along with the speedo's. :eek:

We lived in Germany for four years and that is when we discovered that even people pushing 80 and 300 lbs wear speedos. It is not a pretty sight, but just go into a sauna in Germany, they are coed and no one wears anything.

I am pushing 70 and relatively fit, but will not scare anyone by wearing a speedo. Actually, I don't lay out in the sun for long, since skin cancer is a real issue for people my age.

I find the focus on Speedos to be ironic to say the least. All this mock horror and snickering -- really? Grow up.

And this: why is it okay to cybergang up on someone wearing a speedo at the pool (where at least it is approved pool attire) but it is not okay to say that someone wearing shorts and revealing their white or hairy or overweight legs in the dining room is offputting?

I don't see much difference between men wearing speedos and women wearing small bikinis as far as modesty is concerned. Obviously, men should be as vigilant as women who wear bikinis are about personal grooming.

Speedo briefs or square cut jammers are far more comfortable and practical for swimming than trunks or board shorts.

I typically wear the jammers rather than the briefs if I'm going in the water in a crowded area, just to avoid all the stares. But I think it's silly that anyone cares.

I'm in pretty good shape and keep good personal grooming habits, so no flab or unsightly hair hanging out.

But when I wear them it's not because I think it will draw any sort of positive attention from women. They're just more practical for swimming.

I favor board shorts if I'm at the beach or pool but out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find the focus on Speedos to be ironic to say the least. All this mock horror and snickering -- really? Grow up.

And this: why is it okay to cybergang up on someone wearing a speedo at the pool (where at least it is approved pool attire) but it is not okay to say that someone wearing shorts and revealing their white or hairy or overweight legs in the dining room is offputting?

+1

My husband wears board shorts usually but sometimes he will wear speedos for practicality reasons but only at the pool or beach. I don't understand why some people think it is okay to be judgemental towards him but would probably be the first to get upset if other people judged their apparel.

I've been reading through this thread and have come to a conclusion that nobody has offered thus far.... some, both male "speedo" wearers and female "micro-kini" wearers have at least one thing in common. They are to some degree, EXHIBITIONISTS! They enjoy showing their body parts in a way they think will either excite, disgust or provoke envy. I'm not talking about everybody. I am referring to those who put on their attire and parade around as though they are on a fashion runway or posing for a photo shoot! They rarely enter the pool to actually swim! Therefore, In our society, there are those who put "speedos" or "micro-kinis" on to use for swimming and those who put theirs on to draw attention to their bodies! Nothing will change this, and people will continue to wear what they want and cannot be shamed into doing anything else!

I've been reading through this thread and have come to a conclusion that nobody has offered thus far.... some, both male "speedo" wearers and female "micro-kini" wearers have at least one thing in common. They are to some degree, EXHIBITIONISTS! They enjoy showing their body parts in a way they think will either excite, disgust or provoke envy. I'm not talking about everybody. I am referring to those who put on their attire and parade around as though they are on a fashion runway or posing for a photo shoot! They rarely enter the pool to actually swim! Therefore, In our society, there are those who put "speedos" or "micro-kinis" on to use for swimming and those who put theirs on to draw attention to their bodies! Nothing will change this, and people will continue to wear what they want and cannot be shamed into doing anything else!

You may be right about some people's exhibitionist streak.

But there is a key difference between Men's Speedo-style suits and Women's Micro-kini suits.

Speedos were designed for sports use and are meant to be more practical for swimming than the sorts of trunks or board shorts most of us guys wear out of the pool.

Micro bikinis are generally designed in a way that's actually quite impractical for swimming or any type of sport or motion. They were built to be looked at.

The women's counterpart to the speedo would be the one or two piece racing suits one sees at the Olympics.

I appreciate the differences you expressed, and do agree! That is why I referred to those who "strut their stuff" with those specific "suits" on! In that respect, I think we are on the same page!

^Frankly, I think it is in appalling bad taste to post that picture of that poor old man.

True, at the very least cut the head off so no one will know who it is.

Besides who starts a thread like this? There are more important things to do.

Edited by ReneeFLL

• 5 weeks later...

And no, not everyone is exibicionist, not everyone here is in shape, it's just practical, a swim brief is made to specifically to swim, to go in to the water!

I lived in Italy and there lots of guys of all ages uses swim briefs. So open your mind people... what Americans find disgusting, for the rest of the world it's just normal.

Like I said, culture.

When you are in a cruise wich mostly goes in international waters and cater international passengers you have to just learn to live with other cultures, it's not offensive to any human been to use a swim brief.

And no, not everyone is exibicionist, not everyone here is in shape, it's just practical, a swim brief is made to specifically to swim, to go in to the water!

I lived in Italy and there lots of guys of all ages uses swim briefs. So open your mind people... what Americans find disgusting, for the rest of the world it's just normal.

Like I said, culture.

When you are in a cruise wich mostly goes in international waters and cater international passengers you have to just learn to live with other cultures, it's not offensive to any human been to use a swim brief.

I totally agree. There are quite a few uptight folks around here. They just want to impose their "American" values on everyone so they don't have to teach their little snowflakes that people and cultures are different around the world.

• 5 months later...

I have to say I did every day on a 15 day trans-Pacific this month (even as least full body dipped into the unheated-straight-from-the-Gulf-of-Alaska/Bering-Sea water outdoor pool every day even though it was cold enough to sting my hands and feet as soon as I got in). I was fairly trim when I got on in Vancouver (5' 9 1/2"/177cm, 163 lbs/74 kg) with no belly bulge. Unfortunately I gained ~ 2 Kg/4-5 lbs over the course but may have lost 1 kg since. Working out daily in the gym (alternating upper and lower body, daily aerobic of rowing/bike/swimming) only served to limit the damage.

Thought I'd lighten up this forum but will probably be sent to the "Lounge"

So:

What type of cabins do speedo wearers book?

What are they thinking??????????????

Do you look?

Do you look away and laugh till you're sick?

Do you look and grieve?

LOL I personally think speedo's are worse than chair hogs! They really hurt my eyes!!!

OK.. what do you think is appropriate for men to wear in public to the main pool that includes women, teens and children?

We spend roughly 6 months each year in France and spend as much of this time as possible during Summer camping on Municipal Sites. Most have a pool attached and it is mandatory for men to wear Speedos! Being a man in the 'larger frame' category, I spend 5 minutes applying washing up liquid to my upper legs so that I can slide the Speedos into position ... ;)

I also find it preferable to dive, rather than jump, into the pool - avoids seeking assistance from Mrs Marchie to help me find the Speedos ... :)