Passport Question

spareparts73

The point is, RealID is coming, And when that is implemented, many people are going to need a passport or passport card to fly, so another rush.

And there was a rush earlier this year for all those who got them during the last rush, had to renew them.

It CAN happen. Of course, you can show need (cruise paperwork saying you are leaving soon), but have to pay a very high express fee on top of the standard fee.

Just be informed.

I just called the U.S. Passport # and they asked for my zip code for the post office to in my area to take the picture. Also if you wear glasses take them off for the picture. I'm glad I called them and found out this info. I just thought I would pass it along.

I would goto someplace like Walgreens before going to Post Office.. We went to the Post Office last year and my husband's and my picture both were rejected. We went back and they wanted another $15 each to retake pictures. It wasn't our fault they couldn't take pictures. I researched it online and it seems USPS gets photos rejected often.

Walgreens has an app on their PC to help make sure pictures are centered and meet requirements. Walgreens were not as much as USPS and no problems with them being rejected.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The point is, RealID is coming, And when that is implemented, many people are going to need a passport or passport card to fly, so another rush.

And there was a rush earlier this year for all those who got them during the last rush, had to renew them.

It CAN happen. Of course, you can show need (cruise paperwork saying you are leaving soon), but have to pay a very high express fee on top of the standard fee.

Just be informed.

Your first sentence is far removed from the reality of the situation for the majority of the people. As long as a state is making progress, the state has been granted an extension. Only the states not making any progress or refusing to comply are in jeopardy of the state ID being refused. My state is listed as compliant even though it will take 3 years to issue the new compliant ID to all current ID holders. Since the newly issued lD is compliant, the older ID's are accepted and the state is considered compliant for air travel but not ground border crossings.

The status for any state can be checked on this website

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

• 3 weeks later...

Just be informed.

IMO, Real ID will probably never see the light of day in California. Just too expensive to implement for an unnecessary bureaucratic exercise. Will the Feds press the issue? Certainly not when they're dealing with the seventh largest economy in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

IMO, Real ID will probably never see the light of day in California. Just too expensive to implement for an unnecessary bureaucratic exercise. Will the Feds press the issue? Certainly not when they're dealing with the seventh largest economy in the world.

The pressure will come from voters who find they need to get a passport to fly domestically.

I just followed a few of the links several of you have provided re: Real ID, current status, etc.

Was surprised to see the my state, Michigan, is NOT compliant but rather "Under Review." But I have an Extended Drivers License from Michigan that I have used for Canada and US border crossings. So I did some more search in the DHS Q&A and found this:

A.
Yes. State EDLs designated as acceptable border-crossing documents by DHS under WHTI are acceptable for official federal purposes such as boarding a commercial aircraft or entering a federal facility.

This suggests to me that California (and other non-compliant states) could use a two-track ID system. Those that want an "extended" ID would provide additional documentation. Those that didn't could get by with less. I also saw an indication that there is already a provision for that sort of two-track system under Real-ID.

Of minor academic interest to me. I have had a passport (sometimes two at the same time) since I was three years old. And that is a long time ago! And I have the Extended license, and I have the Global Entry card, my current passport was renewed this year. I think I am set. But this is area that I like to be knowledgeable about...

Stan

The pressure will come from voters who find they need to get a passport to fly domestically.

Perhaps you miss my point. If the State of California (I.e., its legislature and/or via voter referendum) chooses to forgo doing RealID, the pressure to allow the State a permanent exemption will come from the airlines and other travel related industries rather than to lose Californians' business.

Regardless of your politics, just look at the recent example of California's decision to be a "sanctuary state" for undocumented immigrants. That flies in the face of the various financial punishments threatened by the current presidential administration. And all the proof one needs can be seen in the almost instantaneous arrival of FEMA (including immediate distribution of financial support to affected individuals) as fires began to range recently in NorCal.

Again, not making any political statement here. Rather, just pointing out that the unusual nature of the economic powerhouse that is California is nothing the US federal government would ever really want to challenge.

The California DMV recently announced that they will begin issuing RealID licenses in January.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I stand somewhat corrected except, of course, that it will be offered as an "option" for drivers to choose but not a requirement to possess.

I stand somewhat corrected except, of course, that it will be offered as an "option" for drivers to choose but not a requirement to possess.

I believe that is an option in many, if not all, states. I know that it is an option here in Vermont.

It really isn't about missing the ship. However, if you have a medical emergency and need to fly home or someone at home becomes ill or passes away, getting back to the U.S. via plane could be significantly delayed if you do not have a passport. We tend to think that these things don't happen but, unfortunately, they have more often than you may realize. Passengers are airlifted off of cruise ships all the time due to heart attacks (can happen at any age), appendicitis and other things that require medical attention. In these cases, they would take. you to the nearest port ...... not the U.S. You would likely be in a local hospital until transportation can be arranged and the U.S. government can verify your status in order for you to fly home.

Former TA... Medical emergencies happen all the time. Get a passport! You never know what will happen and you may need to fly home.

US citizens have legal options when it comes to travel. Personally I do not like spending money on things that I don't need, especially if those things come with an expiration date. We got our passports in 2015 when we took our first trip to Germany and now that the kids are grown we plan on making that trip once a year until our health forces us to stop.

We have never travelled outside the US but plan on cruising on a closed loop cruise in March. It may be years before we cruise or go outside the US again. We are weighing not getting passports as well due to the expense for a document that may not get used again.

They are good for 10 years.

Depending on what state you live in, you may need one to meet the requirements for ReadID coming January to fly domestically.

And as has been said 100 times, things happen on cruises. And it is much easier to deal with having a passport than not.

We have never travelled outside the US but plan on cruising on a closed loop cruise in March. It may be years before we cruise or go outside the US again. We are weighing not getting passports as well due to the expense for a document that may not get used again.

As long as you are comfortable with the slight risk of something happening that would require you to fly back mid-cruise it's a viable choice. Millions of people travel on closed looped cruises with something other than a passport every year with no issues at all.

At times there are very legitimate reasons why someone may not have the ability to obtain a passport.

For another perspective I took my kids on 3 cruises without them having passports. My main issue was that obtaining a passport for a minor requires that both parents apply, in person and with proof of their own citizenship, etc. My ex is a deadbeat, drug addict, who wouldn't show up and had lost all of his identity documents. There was zero possibility of obtaining a passport. We live in Florida and cruises are simple and easy. I wanted my children to travel and not have their father's issues keep them from life experiences.

I did, on the first cruise accidentally bring 2 copies of one son's birth certificate and none of the other. Luckily for us, my sister was home and Royal accepted the faxed copy. I now triple check the copies and also have a scanned copy stored on my phone.

Yes, I took a calculated risk and all was well.

My new husband has since adopted my sons and he can now sign for the passports. Now the challenge is getting to an office during school/work hours and having everyone there but we'll get the passports before summer time. It'll be nice to no longer be limited to US looped itineraries.

Former TA... Medical emergencies happen all the time. Get a passport! You never know what will happen and you may need to fly home.

The risk of a medical emergency happening where an evacuation is needed is statistically small, however there is a risk of it happening

While I always advocate cruising with a passport, millions of people cruise without one and have never had any problems......