Rci price change advice pls

Katie scarlett

Hi all

I booked 3 cabins on navigator for sept 18 in July last day of sale at 5 pm only for them to change midnight that same day from 20% off to 30% off with parking so I rang

Them and they changed offer

After repeatedly asking if there were any drinks this yr and told No

Now RCI are giving drinks and parking and buy one get one half price but when I asked if I could have new offer was told no!

I don't expect my deal and drinks but would have liked a discount at least to match current offer

Does anyone have any advice other than cancelling and rebooking where I will lose 300 a couple

Thanks x

Thanks for replies

Any other offers but all inclusive what I wanted at the start.

And it works out about £300 difference so wouldn't be worth a swop I just thought it worth a ask,a 20% discount would be nice .

Anyway it's nice to be here and I look forward to reading lots of posts

I am not sure why people think that if a price is changed or a sale offered they are automatically entitled to the change. Using the logic that some people employ, if the price goes up the passenger should be required to pay the new price, even if it is more than they agreed to pay. This is just like buying a car. If the price changes a few days after you buy it are you entitled to get the new reduced price? Of course not! If the price went up would you have to pay the higher price? Of course not! I am not sure why people think that cruise pricing is any different than the car.

The best deals are when they offer the best deals. Might be early booking, might be last minute bookings.

If you are after final payment, they will NOT adjust your rate.

And sales after final payment are normally only for NEW bookings, not existing ones.

We had two cabins booked for 4 of us, due a late sale, we could book a Royal Family Suite (2 bedrooms), for less than our two cabins. We were allowed to change, but NO money back, not even a couple of hundred in cruise credit.

• 10 months later...

Katie, welcome to Cruise Critic.

I see you are from the UK. Unfortunately we are not able to take advantage of price drops at any stage either before or after final payment. our consumer laws are not the same as our US friends. When you read about price drops, it will be someone on the other side of the Atlantic to us.

Don't beat yourself up about 30% or 20% or BOGOHF - they all work out roughly the same in the end. Even if the second person is half price technically, they just "up" the price of the first person in the room!

I have also learned that the sales people often know less than us on this board about what deals are likely - but again - a "free" drinks package is often reflected in a higher base price.

I don't look at prices once I have booked and paid a deposit. It's too stressful.

Yes your right after studying all the offers over 12 mth the offers may change but the prices all stay more or less the same

I was told the best deals are always really early but i havnt found that to the case

Thanks for your replies

You never really know when the best deals are to be had. One benefit to booking early is getting the cabin of your choice. I always say, once the ring is on your finger, quit looking.

Yes your right after studying all the offers over 12 mth the offers may change but the prices all stay more or less the same

I was told the best deals are always really early but i havnt found that to the case

Thanks for your replies

Hi Katie,

You did well to get that first reduction after you'd committed.

But deep down I think you know that if a price goes down after you've bought something you just have to suck it up. You were happy to book at the price, and how much others pay should be irrelevant although that can be difficult to accept.

Yes, good deals are available when a cruise is first brought to market, to encourage early booking.

But empty cabins make a big dent in profits, and the best deals by far are about 4 to 6 weeks before the sailing - if ticket sales have been slow.

On the other hand, leave it too late to book a cruise that's been selling well and it will have sold-out before you try to book or the price will have gone up.

RCI cruises out of Southampton usually sell well, so they don't have these late offers too frequently. Exceptionally good late deals are more-often available with Marella, Cruise & Maritime and the Italian lines, though closer inspection can reveal that differences are smaller than they appear since inclusions like drinks packages can be balanced by higher ticket prices or vice-versa.

If you are stuck with a specific date due to work commitments or kids' schooling, or you have your hearts set on a particular cruise, book early to get the (more-limited) early-bird offers.

But if you're much less fussy and can cruise anytime, wait for the bargains - this can save many hundreds of pounds. You waited too long & a cruise has sold-out? No worries, wait for the next bargain.

Bear in mind that late bookings have disadvantages, such as ...........

- if you have to book a late long-haul flight to the ship, higher late-booked air fares can nullify the cruise savings.

- late booking gives you limited or zero choice of cabin

- late booking can give you zero choice on things like dinner sittings.

On-board you may come across one or two cruisers who are keen to gloat about how little they paid. :rolleyes:

But those loud-mouths are silenced when they learn that I paid even less. :confused:

That's because I tell them lies.

Which is fair enough because that's what they do :D

JB :)