One Way Airfare - Too $$$

halifaxcruising

I'm looking at OW flights for next spring to return from Europe. I will likely use "Air2Sea" for RCL, but I would NOT use them if I was doing a fall OW to Europe. Reason? They promise to get you to your ship on time, but what if you want to spend several days in Europe before returning to the USA? They only promise to get you to the ship.

With Air2Sea sailing from Barcelona for instance, you can get a flight to London or Paris etc.up to 10 days (perhaps longer) prior to the cruise. Then purchase another ticket yourself from there to Barcelona on any date you like. London to Barcelona $80 including taxes

If booking Business Class on some International Flights...one might find they do not even get true lay flat seats. So before jumping at deal with airlines like Icelandic, it is wise to take a look at SeatGuru.com where you can details of the seating on each type of aircraft.

Another issue we have found with cruise-air is that it really depends on the cruise line. For example, Princess has a pretty decent online site (Princess EZ-Air) where you can try all kinds of different flight combinations, departure airports, etc. Looking at all the options helped us save about $3000 on Business Air to Singapore. But other cruise lines such as Holland America, do not have a decent online site and one must rely on a cruise agent (or the cruise line). Sure, you can stay on the phone for an hour and have them go through lots of options...but its just not as efficient as having an good online site.

Hank

We needed one way air when we booked a Med cruise several years ago. Could not find anything to Rome for the price we felt was reasonable.

SO....we found a great fare to Porto, Portuagal and then a second low cost flight from Porto to Rome. Total air cost was very attractive. We did exactly the same a year later. We of course only do this if the city is on our bucket list or is one that we know we will enjoy. Got a one way to Vienna. Toured Vienna, Budapest, and Prague. Inexpensive Air Malta flight to Malta and ten days later another one to Sicily.

There are many very attractive options if you can get a fare to Europe, one way or open jaw, with very attractive pricing. The rest is a snap if you are willing to spend some time shopping and researching. Exactly the same in Asia and Australia. We did a one way home from Australia, with two day stop in Hawaii using two different carriers at a cost considerably less than we could find from the cruise line or the consolidators. And the stopover was a great break from the flight.

We have done the same. Sometimes go one way on a reward ticket and back on a paid fare or vice versa. We do not have many miles lefft on our plan now that I no longer travel for business so we tend to be very selective in how we use the balance. In some instances it makes sense to grab a very attractive fare in lieu of using the points.