Canada/New England Cruise - Foliage?

I did post this in one other section. I hope that is okay.

We are thinking about taking a 5 night cruise from Boston in September 2018. It has two stops, Halifax, NS and Saint Johns (New Brunswick). The reason for the cruise is to see the fall foliage. We are taking our 79 year old mother and also a 3 year old toddler (ages at time of cruise). We had considered a road trip, but I'm afraid that would be too much riding for a toddler plus trying to get naps in and early bedtimes. Then we thought of a cruise. Naps wouldn't interrupt anyone's schedule and there would be more to do. And no unpacking and repacking. It seems like a great alternative but I am wondering if we will really see much foliage this way. Has anyone been on this cruise at this time of year? I would appreciate any advice! Thanks so much!

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, so I have first-hand information for you!

The leaves are just barely beginning to turn now. The really beautiful display of fall foliage will be best observed in October, around mid-month. If you wait until late in the month, a lot of the leaves will be gone...."the gales of November" from that old song really do exist, and they usually start late October.

The weather in October is usually lovely....mild days, cool evenings. Sometimes frost, which is beautiful to see in the morning when the sun hits it.

In Nova Scotia the leaves generally peak around the second week of October. Unfortunately that is when there are the most cruise ships in port and the highest prices.

I would really suggest you consider a land tour. Come visit the NS forum on Trip Advisor.

Early October is likely to be the peak time for color - but there can be wide variance: an early hard frost or a long warm late summer/early autumn can mean a difference of several weeks either way.

But, to answer OP - you are not going to see that much on a cruise unless you drive (tour or rental car) when in ports. While not in port (except while in the St. Lawrence) you are not going to see much color regardless of timing. If seeing autumn color is the primary aim, a land trip makes the most sense.

We have two options that work for our group. One is a 5 night cruise that begins Sept 11 and goes to Halifax and Saint Johns. The other option is a 4 day cruise that goes to only Saint Johns. This one begins October 9.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be very little fall foliage on September 11th. The cruise terminal in Saint John is uptown so you can walk up to the top of King Street where the trees in King Square will likely be turning in October. There may be tour buses, as well. If the sole reason for your cruise is to see the colourful foliage, then you are best to take the October cruise.

However; by just going to Saint John, you will miss out on a great visit to Halifax. There is a lot to see and it is a beautiful, vibrant city.

Just a note: St. John's is in Newfoundland and Saint John is in New Brunswick. Very common mistake. ;)

I did post this in one other section. I hope that is okay.

We are thinking about taking a 5 night cruise from Boston in September 2018. It has two stops, Halifax, NS and Saint Johns (New Brunswick). The reason for the cruise is to see the fall foliage. We are taking our 79 year old mother and also a 3 year old toddler (ages at time of cruise). We had considered a road trip, but I'm afraid that would be too much riding for a toddler plus trying to get naps in and early bedtimes. Then we thought of a cruise. Naps wouldn't interrupt anyone's schedule and there would be more to do. And no unpacking and repacking. It seems like a great alternative but I am wondering if we will really see much foliage this way. Has anyone been on this cruise at this time of year? I would appreciate any advice! Thanks so much!

If you have not booked the cruise already, I would suggest that you consider a cruise that has a stop in Bar Harbor, ME.

Bar Harbor has Acadia National Park on its doorstep. 7 minutes after boarding an excursion bus, you'll be in ANP. There is no wasting time to get to the foliage. No other town or city can offer this on a C/NE cruise, TTBOMK

To view the best foliage, plan on visiting there about the second week of October.

BH is the quintessential New England small town, not to be missed. JMHO

SBtS

• 3 weeks later...

October 20 is a bit late for Nova Scotia. It may still be OK in our northern area of Cape Breton but it will be past its peak and if there has been a wind storm many of the leaves will be gone.

Right now in the mainland there are just a few trees turning colour.

Leaves are changing colors later if region is near an ocean. That includes Maritimes. So maybe you will see it.

We were on Canada cruise in the very end of September and Halifax was still green while in land (Massachusetts) had all colors