Does viking have someplace to get food in the middle of the day on the river cruises?

Taishartrueblood

Our Mekong river cruises had drinks and cookies available all day, passengers mainly Australian. The Yangtze River cruise did not, but it was mainly marketed to Chinese passengers. Meals were served at certain times, no hot food outside meal times on both ships.

My experience with European river cruises is that food is not available 24 hours a day. There might be some cookies out most of the day, and there was always an afternoon tea with munchies on Uniworld, but except for maybe Crystal (I think I read something) don't expect to be able to get something to eat at any time.

What do you mean by the middle of the day? Lunch is always served, usually both a light one and a full seated one. Sometimes if you are on an all day excursion, lunch is "0n you". This is always explained at the daily briefing. Pat:)

Actually most, if not all, full day excursions include lunch somewhere. If the excursion is unable to be back on the ship for lunch, it's include somewhere. After all, you are paying for a meal.

Concerning the OP, food is not available 24/7. I've never found this to be an issue because your typical day is breakfast, morning tour, lunch, afternoon tour, cocktail hour, briefing, dinner, night cap, sleep. Rinse repeat. Often on the tours you are able to grab a snack somewhere if you are so inclined. Also they usually put fresh baked cookies out in the afternoon between lunch and dinner.

River cruises are not like ocean cruises. There is little down time / full day cruising.

In Europe bakeries have delicious pastries, rolls and breads. There are also shops with lots of healthy snacks like various nuts, fruit rolls etc. Drugstores and heath food stores have snack choices for diabetics.

Whoa there! 'Europe' consists of many completely different countries. It's a massive overgeneralisation to say that absolutely everywhere has these shops. Be aware that a lot depends on exactly where you are and what time of day you would need to buy something to eat.

Whoa there! 'Europe' consists of many completely different countries. It's a massive overgeneralisation to say that absolutely everywhere has these shops. Be aware that a lot depends on exactly where you are and what time of day you would need to buy something to eat.

It is certainly true that the countries of Europe, and even different regions of individual countries, vary considerably.However, pretty much any place you visit as part of a river cruise will be geared to tourists, and there will be multiple options to find something to eat. In some smaller towns, things may close rather early, but you won't be in some out-of-the way location and not be able to find a snack.

Totally agree with OneSixtyToOne. B, L and D plus snacks of cookies and muffins served us very well indeed. You can grab a few cookies and stash them for a late night snack. LOL. If you need some food for other reasons on board , i.e. Medical, taking meds etc, just speak with the restaurant manager and I am sure he/she can accommodate you. From our experience Viking will do what it can to ensure you are enjoying your cruise. Happy cruising.

We have always been able to find something off the boat for DH for snacks while touring (9 rivercruises in Europe) as he is diabetic. We also always pack some protein bars when traveling and I make sure one is with us when on excursions. That alleviates any problems with stops or returns to the boat that might not fit his schedule or be delayed or should he start feeling low. We almost always stop and enjoy a morning or afternoon bakery break as we don't have that option at home in our small town.

Just returned from Viking Ingvi BUD-PAS. I have serious dietary restrictions and my husband is diabetic. The Maitre d made sure that were were well taken care of - provided additional fruit to keep in our cabin/and making sure that there were snacks (such as cookies/muffins available to use. They also stored his freezer pack from his portable insulin cool bag for us.

Each morning, he would meet us at breakfast and go over the daily menu to make sure that meals were appropriate for our respective health issues. Since we ate the majority of the meals on the ship - it was wonderful not to have to worry about dining.

DAY ONE your Viking Tour Director asks for passengers to identify any & all food issues or problems. I got off a cruise yesterday and as with all prior cruises, this happens. The head of the restaurant will personally interface with you that day and assure that your food needs are met. Diabetics are quite common and well taken care of.