Puerto Rico

CheckedBaggage

Most provisions arrive from the mainland in shipping containers on ocean barges operated by companies like Crowley, American President Lines, and ToteMaritime. Here is an example: http://www.crowley.com/Where-We-Work/Puerto-Rico

Crowley's web site says their San Juan terminal will reopen on 9/23. It is critical that PR get this port open because everything that is imported arrives at this port or by air.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

Here is a related article on opening the port for shipping:

http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/aid-shipments-ready-for-port-of-san-juan-to-reopen

I must admit I was very saddened by so many posts yesterday of people "worried" and felling "inconvenienced" by possible changes in their itineraries due to Hurricanes Irma and Maria. For Gods sake these poor people have lived through the terror of not one but TWO hurricanes back to back. They have lost their homes personal belongings businesses places of employment have relatives that have either perished or cannot be found are living without water power communication and many are left with the clothes on their backs and you are worried about your inconvenience of itinerary changes while cruising on a luxury ship???!!!!😡😡 We also have two cruises booked with stops in many of these beautiful islands but like others here are worried about them have already sent donations to them and can't wait until we can visit to help build their economy. Have a ❤️ And stop being so selfish.

(y)(y)(y)

We are booked on the Summit Nov 11 & 18 cruises. Barring another hurricane (or a failed Azipod), I am very confident these cruises will happen. I do expect to see some itinerary modifications to the port .

We are booked for the end of November and made final payment last week. Just waiting to see where we are going.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I must admit I was very saddened by so many posts yesterday of people "worried" and felling "inconvenienced" by possible changes in their itineraries due to Hurricanes Irma and Maria. For Gods sake these poor people have lived through the terror of not one but TWO hurricanes back to back. They have lost their homes personal belongings businesses places of employment have relatives that have either perished or cannot be found are living without water power communication and many are left with the clothes on their backs and you are worried about your inconvenience of itinerary changes while cruising on a luxury ship???!!!!😡😡 We also have two cruises booked with stops in many of these beautiful islands but like others here are worried about them have already sent donations to them and can't wait until we can visit to help build their economy. Have a ❤️ And stop being so selfish.

clear.png?emoji-thumbsup-927clear.png?emoji-thumbsup-927clear.png?emoji-thumbsup-927

I just survived Hurricane Irma. Lots of anxiety as she kept changing direction. We were without power for several days. No damage to the interior of my condo. Damage to the exterior. Absolutely nothing compared to what Puerto Rico is going through. Or some of the other islands. Your cruise will go somewhere. Relax and go with the flow.

clear.png?emoji-thumbsup-927clear.png?emoji-thumbsup-927clear.png?emoji-thumbsup-927

I just survived Hurricane Irma. Lots of anxiety as she kept changing direction. We were without power for several days. No damage to the interior of my condo. Damage to the exterior. Absolutely nothing compared to what Puerto Rico is going through. Or some of the other islands. Your cruise will go somewhere. Relax and go with the flow.

I've met Linda and she is one of the frequent Celebrity cruisers who lives in Florida that I've been wondering about. Glad she survived Irma.

I also am someone who will board the Summit tomorrow for the first leg of a B2B2B, with the final leg being the re-positioning cruise from Bayonne down to Puerto Rico. That final leg is going to go somewhere, and we are certainly going to relax and go with the flow.

I've met Linda and she is one of the frequent Celebrity cruisers who lives in Florida that I've been wondering about. Glad she survived Irma.

I also am someone who will board the Summit tomorrow for the first leg of a B2B2B, with the final leg being the re-positioning cruise from Bayonne down to Puerto Rico. That final leg is going to go somewhere, and we are certainly going to relax and go with the flow.

Looking forward to seeing you again in the middle of your B2B2B sandwich! I think my friend, Anne (cruiseacecat), is on the last leg with you. You'll get the best of both worlds. Captain Leo for the first half of your journey and Captain Kate for the last half. She told us this spring on the repo that she would be joining our cruise in the middle.

It seems to me like things are still uncertain. The port may open and companies may bring in supplies but instead of stocking a cruise ship, I would hope that they are bringing in supplies to help rebuild the island, restore the power, much less provide food, water, medications...whatever the local people need.

The hurricane was bad enough but in today's paper there was a report that a 90 year dam is in jeopardy due to all of the rainwater that fell with the storm. The difficulty is communicating with the people that flooding may occur and the need for these people to evacuate the area. http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/22/us/puerto-rico-guajataca-river-dam-evacuations/index.html

The Puerto Rican Government has their hands full with a lot of issues. I just do not think that getting passengers to a cruise ship is a top priority for them at the moment.

As they say...."stay tuned"....certainly RCCL and the other cruise lines will make decisions known asap.

Agreed!<3

San Juan had been removed from the Sillho November 19 itinerary but now it is back. So as of now Celebrity believes it will be available for that cruise.

I am happy about this but who knows if it is final. Still over a month and half so who knows what will happen between now and then

TV just showed lines at the airport are huge..people are trying to get out on limited flights.. Many homes not habitable, no running water, no power or cooking fuel...etc.

Airport apparently operating on generators..Would not fly there right now for a cruise...They will come back strong but not for awhile.

Good Post!

We are on the Summit 11/11 and we'll go wherever it goes. I'm following but I'm predicting that we might be leaving from Florida although it wouldn't bother me to leave from Bayonne. This has been an interesting conversation. I think I read somewhere that Carnival cancelled all of the October cruises for the Fascination out of San Juan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival has issues with their terminal in San Juan which is more related to their delay. In addition the ship sailing out of San Juan is replacing a ship in FL that could not have its refurb finished due to Maria for a couple of weeks until repairs can be made in San Juan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I watched some reports from Puerto Rico and it is really bad. I saw a woman with a baby trying to get out of the airport because she said she and her husband could make it. But they were afraid for the baby. She said her husband stood in line from 4 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon to get $10 worth of gas to run the generator.

I think Celebrity needs to step up to the plate. This isn't going away any time soon.Make you plan b. Help Puerto Rico in any way you can and help you passengers booked on the Summit leaving from Puerto Rico. Don't waste time.

I watched some reports from Puerto Rico and it is really bad. I saw a woman with a baby trying to get out of the airport because she said she and her husband could make it. But they were afraid for the baby. She said her husband stood in line from 4 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon to get $10 worth of gas to run the generator.

I think Celebrity needs to step up to the plate. This isn't going away any time soon.Make you plan b. Help Puerto Rico in any way you can and help you passengers booked on the Summit leaving from Puerto Rico. Don't waste time.

You have to have a little patience.

Agreed on patience. Obviously they would not want to pull the revenue dollars out of Puerto Rico at this critical time. I would have to imagine it would be daunting to try and reschedule to embark from an alternative port and work out the logistics for which ports could be reached and have available docks. I am sure they are trying to gauge if hotels will be up and running first week of November for our departure. The thing that worries me most and has been mentioned is OK the airport may be open, hotels may be open, will there be transportation available to handle the influx of people. So many factors out of their control and have to make a decision about the welfare of of their guests.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The following has been garnered from all the various news reports and reports in some of the print media for TODAY September 25, 2017

The airport is running on generators and using radar supplied by the Military, the roads are slowly being cleared of trees, damaged vehicles, wrecked houses even boats litter almost every road. Roads in the hilly areas are washed away. .

Over 80% of their entire agricultural food production is destroyed. They are running out of food. If and when the power is returned the refrigeration systems and the restaurants and bars they are in were almost totally destroyed. A large percentage of their cars, vans, cabs, trucks and other equipment has been ruined.

There is currently an Air-Bridge delivering around the clock plane loads of food, water and needed equipment from an air field (could be in Georgia) in the U.S.

Hospitals are operating with emergency generators and fuel is in short supply. People are waiting for hours to get a few gallons of gas to run small generators. People are waiting in their cars for hours in lines to get to where their cells will connect with one of the only working cell towers.

The ports will be too busy trying to get enough food water and other supplies needed just for the people to keep from starving and getting a roof over their heads and some power. There are about 3.5 MILLION people that are in dire straits and having tourists is probably very low on their list of priorities.

Imagine the job of just feeding 3.5 million people. The foods they get must for the most part be ready to eat, do not need to be reconstituted and due to the lack of refrigeration non-perishable.

This is a humanitarian disaster and unlike Texas and Florida there are no roads to bring in millions of board feet of lumber, nails, plywood, hundreds of utility trucks, poles, high tension towers, lines, cable, transformers and the hundreds of skilled linesmen they will need to complete even just the basic power frame work and then start rewiring the homes and businesses as they are ready to be put on line...

Everything the people of Puerto Rico need to survive, to eventually get their lives back together along with everything the entire island needs to rebuild itself on what is now almost a bare slate must come in on ships and I am afraid the ports are not and will be for a long time not preparing to recieve tourists.

To everyone asking for patience, the Director of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company himself said he doesn't believe they can accommodate tourists until Thanksgiving, which sounds like an optimistic target date.

"Right now there is no capacity to receive guests at the hotels. Most hotels operating are housing military and federal personnel who have come to assist in the emergency, "said the director of the tourism, José Izquierdo.

The official said - in written statements - that for the next 90 days Puerto Rico will be involved in a process of reconstruction and recovery before the island is able to receive more tourists. However, he hoped this will be before the high season starts, which kicks off in November after the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

— Translated from Primera Hora:

At a time when there are 3M+ people without power, clean water, food and medical supplies/attention, who the hell do the cruise lines believe they're fooling but themselves? For the love of god, if anyone at Celebrity is reading please do the right thing — not just for your customers, but for the people living through the consequences of Maria — and cancel the sailings. Use the Summit to evacuate Puerto Ricans to the mainland where kids don't have to miss a year of school and elderly people can get medicine and not die from the heat.

To everyone asking for patience, the Director of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company himself said he doesn't believe they can accommodate tourists until Thanksgiving, which sounds like an optimistic target date.

At a time when there are 3M+ people without power, clean water, food and medical supplies/attention, who the hell do the cruise lines believe they're fooling but themselves? For the love of god, if anyone at Celebrity is reading please do the right thing — not just for your customers, but for the people living through the consequences of Maria — and cancel the sailings. Use the Summit to evacuate Puerto Ricans to the mainland where kids don't have to miss a year of school and elderly people can get medicine and not die from the heat.

Patience, because the logistics, canceling sailings or whatever, can not be done in an instant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Key west had first cruise ship in port yesterday.

What happens to the Summit? Will it just sail from Florida until San Juan can handle it?

Possibly. Moving the home port to Florida or another location (for Summit they might keep it in Bayonne) is not simple. Whatever, has to be negotiated and arranged with the alternative home port. Then an itinerary has to be planned. Also it is not the same as changing the intermediate ports. It would be a cancellation of the original cruise. So they should be offering booked passengers a refund or sailing from the new home port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk