Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Yes, it's me, indiana71! I'm so pleased to come back to CCF after more than a year!

Just a quick explanation for my absence: It was all about building and moving to our new home at the lake, selling the Big House; and now all of that is in the past, it's definitely time to reconnect on this thread:cool:!

We have never given up cruising!!! The Next Cruise is in January on Grandeur of the Seas, and then a Family Cruise in June:D.

There are 2 great consignment shops nearby and a thrift shop that has had some fun stuff (with proceeds going to an animal shelter.)

Since I'm using a different search engine, I will try to post some photos of outfits soon. My Next Try0n Day is coming up....lots of dresses that are Cruise Worthy and some of them haven't been on a cruise. I'm going to try Every One of Them on and evaluate.

Meanwhile, going back and reading pages of posts will fill an afternoon, for sure! So nice to see familiar names and also to see that CCF is going strong!!!

Yes, it's me, indiana71! I'm so pleased to come back to CCF after more than a year!

Just a quick explanation for my absence: It was all about building and moving to our new home at the lake, selling the Big House; and now all of that is in the past, it's definitely time to reconnect on this thread:cool:!

We have never given up cruising!!! The Next Cruise is in January on Grandeur of the Seas, and then a Family Cruise in June:D.

There are 2 great consignment shops nearby and a thrift shop that has had some fun stuff (with proceeds going to an animal shelter.)

Since I'm using a different search engine, I will try to post some photos of outfits soon. My Next Try0n Day is coming up....lots of dresses that are Cruise Worthy and some of them haven't been on a cruise. I'm going to try Every One of Them on and evaluate.

Meanwhile, going back and reading pages of posts will fill an afternoon, for sure! So nice to see familiar names and also to see that CCF is going strong!!!

Nancy,

Welcome back to your thread. Happy to hear that you made your move. I know that had to be hard, to build a home and then move. Glad to see that you are still cruising.

Moving is so hard. I do a snowbird more two times a year, down south and back up north. And that only is a trunk full of stuff (which we really don't need). but opening up the place and getting in food take a while. But moving a whole hose of stuff, now that is work. We were luck this year with the Irma, she only took some of the carports in our complex, mine was one of the. But our house is fine.

getPart?uid=30105827&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=21462327_10213678357574186_2571262126809247355_n+%282%29.jpggetPart?uid=30105827&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=21462327_10213678357574186_2571262126809247355_n+%282%29.jpg

enhance

enhance

geocruiser--Oh my! Is that red building the car ports. Terrible damage. Glad you and your home are safe.

Yes, it is the carports. What happened was a tornado hit our complex. 25 feet from my unit ,the roof was ripped off another two units. The car ports were lifted up and moved back about 20 feet and slammed into the condo building behind it. We just got electric back on Monday. We are very lucky. People have lost everything.

we just lost a carport.

enhance

enhance

Yes, it is the carports. What happened was a tornado hit our complex. 25 feet from my unit ,the roof was ripped off another two units. The car ports were lifted up and moved back about 20 feet and slammed into the condo building behind it. We just got electric back on Monday. We are very lucky. People have lost everything.

we just lost a carport.

enhance

enhance

So very glad you survivedwith damage you can live with. Such an experience wasn't on my bucket list. But I found myself spending the night on a twin mattress with daughter and sil. They on queen mattress. Lost some screens,a tree and a few bushes that may survive being tilted.

I flew home on Thursday after, as soon as ft Myers airport opens. My clothes are all still there, so back I go in 2 weeks for cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So relieved to hear that CFFs from FL who have posted didn't have serious damage. Never watched the weather channel so much...Texas, then Florida and Caribbean have been in our thoughts and prayers.

Cruising will change for many of us, at least for several weeks or maybe months... All the places hit by hurricanes need cruise ships and tourists to help with rebuilding economy and country.

Even though this is the first day of autumn, Mother Nature is continuing to give us summerlike temps...so I will take advantage of that the next couple days and try on some Cruise Clothes - ones that haven't been chosen for awhile.

Will take photos with my phone and hope to post. Next Cruise is little more than 100 days away...a little TOO early to actually put outfits together, but preliminary planning can't hurt:cool:!

BTW - our Last Cruise was in late April. DH wanted to be on that first cruise ship to Cuba. We flew to Tampa (beautiful city!!) and boarded Empress of the Seas, smallest ship in the RCI fleet. It was a wonderful experience -all of it. The ship had lots of Cuban influence and Havana was delightful and interesting - also sad to see some of the buildings unoccupied and unsafe for years.

Even though I've been away from here, the CCF mindset didn't go away. So of course, I paid attention to the Cuban attire. The women wore lots of bright happy colors.

So very glad you survivedwith damage you can live with. Such an experience wasn't on my bucket list. But I found myself spending the night on a twin mattress with daughter and sil. They on queen mattress. Lost some screens,a tree and a few bushes that may survive being tilted.

I flew home on Thursday after, as soon as ft Myers airport opens. My clothes are all still there, so back I go in 2 weeks for cruise.

I am glad that you made it through the hurricane. Our complex all ready fixed the units that the roofs got blown off. The carports have been removed. They are working on the removal of the vegetation and minor fixing up. We also lost shutters. Our front door lock could not be open. The rain got into it, even tho we had a storm door!

This storm has ruined the lives of so many people in the islands. It is so sad. I just can't believe what happen there.

Welcome back Nancy, you were really missed. We are so glad you are back.

So glad everyone in the hurricane ravaged areas are doing ok and the damage they had wasn't any worse than it was.

Well our next cruise is in 69 days but we leave here in 60 days to fly to Miami and the then next day to Venice Italy. We will be sailing on the brand new MSC Seaside and bringing her home for her Christening.

I have all my outfits picked and am all packed and have most of my DH's outfits packed. At least all of his casual and dress clothes. He still needs to give me his day clothes. We actually had to mail some of our things to Italy already to a friends house. May need to mail another box or 2 but with them living on a Military installation we get to use the flat rate boxes which helps a lot.

The weather here in Yuma is starting to cool down a little so it is really nice. Now maybe I will feel like doing my fall cleaning and pitching that needs to be done so badly.

Have a great day everyone,

Gerry

I am glad that you made it through the hurricane. Our complex all ready fixed the units that the roofs got blown off. The carports have been removed. They are working on the removal of the vegetation and minor fixing up. We also lost shutters. Our front door lock could not be open. The rain got into it, even tho we had a storm door!

This storm has ruined the lives of so many people in the islands. It is so sad. I just can't believe what happen there.

it's so sad. Saw videos of San Juan. I hope the old buildings survived. It's such a beautiful city.

I agree that the ports and cruising should come back soon to help the rebuilding of their homes and towns.

So pleased to see familiar screen names. Love it that this is continuing to be a fun and friendly thread:).

QUESTION: Do you use department store, higher end, cosmetics or do you go to the drug store/Target-type stores?

I have switched from "high end" moisturizer & serum to L'Oréal & Olay products that so far, work the same as more expensive ones. Nothing has replaced the Elizabeth Arden foundation. My lipsticks go from inexpensive to pricey and are all good.

When we were building the New House and maintaining the Big House, I decided to explore lower cost cosmetics. Now I'm curious to hear what other CCFs do.

BTW: It is difficult to think about The Next Cruise without facing the reality of the devastation in the Caribbean. I am proud of what Royal Caribbean has done in the recovery effort. Although the joy of visiting those ports of call has been taken away for the moment (and in many cases, much longer), we look forward to returning and spending tourist $$ whenever that becomes possible.

My dermatologist told me Oil of Olay Regenerist & 7 are excellent products, better than high priced. Also, Ceravae lotion (& sunscreen) are wonderful (they are a bit pricey). I'm sticking with my Estée Lauder Daywear (tinted moisturizer), but now it's over the Oil of Olay

We leave for 14 nights in southern Caribbean in 2 months. Celebrity sent us a changed itinerary yesterday, removing St Maarten & replacing it with St Kitts

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My dermatologist also told me Oil of Olay Regenerist. I think I might give it a try now.

Our cruises have not sent us any notice about changing ports. We cruise on 12/10/17, 1/8/18 & 3/4/18. All three on Regal Princess going to St Thomas, St Maarten and Princess Cay. No change yet.

It is wonderful that RCCL, NCL and CCL were able to help in the recovery efforts. Not many cruise lines had ships in the Caribbean at this time of year. Most are in Europe, Alaska & Canada this time of year. I do hope that all cruise line that will be in the Caribbean during the fall, winter & spring will drop off supplies as they pass those islands in need.

Also a fan of Olay regenerist but you may also wish to investigate Avon skin products - the Anew line and others - very good products - you can read reviews online of some of the skin products on avon.com - I have been using the power serum, moisturizer with sunscreen and AHA cream among others with great results! Not that expensive especially if you catch a sale!

I use Lancôme Renergie Multi-Action. I thought I would try some Arbonne because a friend gave me a few samples for a gift and I really liked them. So I went to a party and purchased a starter kit.

After using it for a while I went back to my Lancôme.

For the price of Arbonne I liked the Lancome even better.

I also use Cera-Ve for my body moisturizer . I got started using that after my dermatologist told me about it and gave me several samples.

I also use a lot of the bath and bodyworks products. I especially like their body scrubs. I get a lot of those pesky little bumps on my arms in the summer around here. The body scrubs seem to get rid of them and soften my skin.

We haven't heard whether they were going to change our ports and to what on our Dec1, TA cruise. We won't be in the Caribbean until the 17 of Dec. and that is supposed to be St. Thomas and then the 18th in San Juan. So I guess we will see what happens. We have been to both ports so many times that I probably wouldn't have gotten off the ship anyway. I almost feel like with bringing the ships back in so soon that we are smearing them in the face with how lucky we are. I know going there helps with their economy and the rebuilding of the country but I can't help feeling that way. (Not intending to offend anyone here with my remark. Just my own feeling)

For some happier thoughts, I have been busy getting all my outfits on the spreadsheets and packed in their ziplocks and into the suitcases for the upcoming cruise.

Some of our things are already in Italy waiting on us at a friends house.

This has been an experience in packing for this cruise. We have all 4 seasons to cover as far as clothing goes.

At this point we have 3 pieces of 29 inch spinners for both of us with 1 carry-on ea. and 1 personal item ea.

The packing is hard to do since we both are habitual over packers. Always have to have our "what-ifs"

with us. ;p:o

Hope everyone has a great weekend,

Gerry

So happy to be back and see responses to my Question! Looks like Regenerist and CeraVe are the brands to choose. Thanks for the feedback:D.

I attempted to upload a photo and the message said to resize manually. That didn't go well. I will try again later.

Meanwhile...there are 34 dresses in my Cruise Closet and yesterday I tried on Every One of Them!! There are 3 that are really tight - giving me incentive to firm up those belly bulges:eek:.

TNGALOHA: Your comment RE "how lucky we are" and smearing them could be right on...if folks getting off the ships are expecting the islands (and people) to be undamaged. Hopefully, cruisers will have common sense and do what they/we can to help their economy.

I was wandering through the small department store nearby, passing the Clinique counter when the nice Clinique saleslady asked if I wanted to come in for Beauty Week. Next thing I know, I've made an appt for a Complete Make Over on October 4!

The scary part is I must show up TOTALLY devoid of all makeup...nothing on my face. Should be interesting;).

I haven't changed basic makeup in many years...at least a professional will do the best she can to convince me!

That should be a lot of fun Indiana. I have never had a professional do my makeup so I really don't know what or how to do it. Maybe that is why I only do the absolutely the very basics when I wear makeup. Most of the time just my face cream with sunscreen and I am out the door.

Enjoy your time and please share pictures.

Now that it is starting to cool down here in Az. I have been trying to get the ambition to do my fall cleaning. I did one room in the house and lost the ambition.

Just found out yesterday that our grandson maybe coming in Dec. to live with us so I will loose my cruise room. Now I really have to get on the stick and get to the deep cleaning and pitching so I can move the cruise room into the craft room closet.

I am going to have to pare down my cruise clothes and reg. clothes so I can fit them back into my closet.

Lot of prep work to do before Dec. I told my daughter he couldn't come until after the 23rd of Dec. since we will be gone some of Nov. and most of Dec.

We will be back home the 23rd and are doing Christmas dinner hare with hopefully all of our kids and grandkids.

That is going to be a full house--26-28 people.

I am on cloud nine. We haven't had the entire family together for about 6 years. Lot of work but I can't wait.

Has anyone else started making plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas yet?

Gerry

That should be a lot of fun Indiana. I have never had a professional do my makeup so I really don't know what or how to do it. Maybe that is why I only do the absolutely the very basics when I wear makeup. Most of the time just my face cream with sunscreen and I am out the door.

Enjoy your time and please share pictures.

Now that it is starting to cool down here in Az. I have been trying to get the ambition to do my fall cleaning. I did one room in the house and lost the ambition.

Just found out yesterday that our grandson maybe coming in Dec. to live with us so I will loose my cruise room. Now I really have to get on the stick and get to the deep cleaning and pitching so I can move the cruise room into the craft room closet.

I am going to have to pare down my cruise clothes and reg. clothes so I can fit them back into my closet.

Lot of prep work to do before Dec. I told my daughter he couldn't come until after the 23rd of Dec. since we will be gone some of Nov. and most of Dec.

We will be back home the 23rd and are doing Christmas dinner hare with hopefully all of our kids and grandkids.

That is going to be a full house--26-28 people.

I am on cloud nine. We haven't had the entire family together for about 6 years. Lot of work but I can't wait.

Has anyone else started making plans for Thanksgiving or Christmas yet?

Gerry

I have just about finished my fall cleaning this week. I tear the house apart a room at a time. Christmas shopping is all most done and I will wrap it next week or so.

Thanksgiving we will go out to eat with friends. Christmas we will be home, not sure of the plan. I don't plan on much because we will get home from a cruise on 12/18. Will see what happens with that.

We leave on Celebrity Eclipse on 26 Nov & will travel to Miami on Friday the 24th. Thanksgiving will be at our oldest daughter’s house with family & extended family (about 40 folks), I’ll make 12 - 15 pies. Haven’t figured out Christmas, but our son is moving into a brand new house next week, maybe he’ll host.

We leave on Celebrity Eclipse on 26 Nov & will travel to Miami on Friday the 24th. Thanksgiving will be at our oldest daughter’s house with family & extended family (about 40 folks), I’ll make 12 - 15 pies. Haven’t figured out Christmas, but our son is moving into a brand new house next week, maybe he’ll host.

WOW! That is a lot of pie crust to roll out.

WOW! That is a lot of pie crust to roll out.

Lol, sure is, but it’s worth it! Apple, blueberry, cherry, fig (squares, but still pie crust), lemon squares, pecan, chocolate silk, pecan, pumpkin, raspberry, probably a couple more & tapioca pudding (with pineapple & whipped cream) & 3 kinds of fudge. It’s kind of like a diabetic coma when we’re done!