Barcelona - alternatives

RealNorwegianCruiser

So, we will be in Barcelona with Celebrity Reflection overnight from 12-13 October. That is normally a port I really like, and always look forward to visit. However it seems that it is some growing unrest, and now even local dock workers seems to join in. That MIGHT be a issue. So the question would be: Alternative ports? We will arrive from Nice, and the day after Barcelona is a sea day. Then its Malaga.

Would Marseille, Palma, or Valencia be potential alternatives to Barcelona.

Hopefully this develops in a peaceful way though!

I have a friend who has been in Barcelona for the last few days and she said that even though there is some unrest, it is all very peaceful. Her and her husband feel very safe and are thoroughly enjoying their second visit! However, they are not on a cruise this time.

On one of our cruises, Portugal's dock workers went on strike; we knew the afternoon before that our port would change, as Celebrity does have alternate plans if these things arise...I wish I could be of more help, but sometimes changes are last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are in Barcelona at the moment, after a cruise on Connie. I have to say we are pleased we are leaving tomorrow. It would be interesting to hear from any locals but there have been so many police cars outside our hotel tonight and a demonstration by the remain group. I just feel it could escalate before October. Each evening locals supporting leave have been hanging out of their windows banging pans etc with things making a terrible racket. Sue

We are on the same cruise as Norwegian and it is a Reunion cruise with a complimentary wine, tapas, guitar and flamenco evening at the Codorniu Winery outside Barcelona scheduled for Elite & above Captain's Club members the evening of the 12th.

Earlier that day we have a walking tour booked.

The next morning we head to the Sagrada Familia with pre-paid audio/tower tickets.

I would be highly disappointed if this port stop is cancelled. That being said, considering the devastation in the Caribbean, it would be only disappointment and we'd be able to move beyond it.

OTOH, we have friends on the October 9 Connie sailing out of Barcelona- it would be much for difficult for them to deal with a different port of embarkation than a changed port-of-call.

I believe the issues relate to the forthcoming Catalan Independence vote scheduled for October 1. Feelings are running very high in the city at the moment but hopefully things will have calmed down by the time you arrive.

I love Barcelona and have been fortunate to visit the city four times this year. Hope you manage to get to the Sagrada Familia. The interior is simply spectacular with the most beautiful stained glass I have ever seen.

So, we will be in Barcelona with Celebrity Reflection overnight from 12-13 October. That is normally a port I really like, and always look forward to visit. However it seems that it is some growing unrest, and now even local dock workers seems to join in. That MIGHT be a issue. So the question would be: Alternative ports? We will arrive from Nice, and the day after Barcelona is a sea day. Then its Malaga.

Would Marseille, Palma, or Valencia be potential alternatives to Barcelona.

Hopefully this develops in a peaceful way though!

We had been scheduled to stop at Barcelona once on a Celebrity ship years ago and the port was blocked by fishermen protesting the price of fuel. We went to Palma d' Mallorca. I just did Palma as a port of call and arranged a private small group to tour the Cathedral and go on out to Valpariso. Lovely little town.

We had been scheduled to stop at Barcelona once on a Celebrity ship years ago and the port was blocked by fishermen protesting the price of fuel. We went to Palma d' Mallorca. I just did Palma as a port of call and arranged a private small group to tour the Cathedral and go on out to Valpariso. Lovely little town.

I wouldnt mind Palma. Going there next year though.

Hopefully - for the locals and for us tourists - it will calm down the coming days.

I just received another update from my friends who are in Barcelona for a week. Josie is still saying that the disruptions are very peaceful and not causing issues with visitors. I explained to her that it is being talked about on CC, but she honestly says that her and her husband are having a wonderful second visit and enjoying every minute. Both are in their late sixties...

Barcelona is a large city and experiences are different, depending on where you go and what you do. They look at the glass half full instead of half empty.

Montserrat is absolutely beautiful. It takes you out of the city and crowds, as long as you go early by yourselves or with a small group. Actually, it was my favorite place. If you can't get into port and go to Palma 'd Mallorca, take a tour to the others side of the island. Gorgeous beaches and breathtaking views. We had a great time on a small boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

Remember Barcelona is a working port, just hope you don't berth opposite the Silo complex.

we over nighted in Barcelona in may and was berthed right opposite that silo..

what a pain.

could not sit on the balcony because of the noise.

it runs constantly