Recent Update - Carnival Cancels more cruises due to Maria

wemjam

New recent update from Carnival's home pages:

Hurricane Maria

Itinerary Updates 9/22/2017 – 3:30:00 PM (EDT)

Carnival Fascination – San Juan

The Port of San Juan is currently closed. Fascination guests currently on board enjoyed a day in Antigua today and are now on their way to San Juan. Our intention is to be in position to dock this weekend, in the event the port re-opens, in order to give guests an opportunity to debark, if they wish to do so. Alternatively, guests may also remain on board as the ship repositions to Miami, where it will arrive on Tuesday afternoon and stay until Wednesday. Our airline partners are committed to working with our guests to waive any change fees associated with rescheduling flights.

Port officials have informed us that our terminal in San Juan has sustained extensive damage as a result of Hurricane Maria. The assessment is still in progress but it now appears that it will take several weeks to make the necessary repairs. Unfortunately, this means the following San Juan and Barbados sailings will have to be cancelled:

San Juan departures

September 24

October 1

October 8

Barbados departures

September 27

October 4

October 11

For all canceled cruises, a full refund will be automatically processed, including Fly2Fun reservations, pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment.

Given the circumstances, we are working with our airline partners to assist those guests with independent air travel regarding the waiver of change fees.

Additional information will be provided to our guests in an email later today.

There are several sources online that compile spring break info, including a number of travel agencies. From what I can see, there is a very small percentage of institutions that have their spring break March 31 - April 7; an even smaller percentage that have their spring break April 14 - 21.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

There are several sources online that compile spring break info, including a number of travel agencies. From what I can see, there is a very small percentage of institutions that have their spring break March 31 - April 7; an even smaller percentage that have their spring break April 14 - 21.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

And I'm cruising during my granddaughter's spring break, April 8-13.

I think most are back to school/college by the Sunday after Easter. I don't know why my granddaughter's school has break so late.

April will be the tail end of spring break. April 1 is Easter and some schools align with the holiday, so I would shoot for the 2nd week or later with each week getting less busy. Most breaks are in early to mid March.

Bebop, you're right about that being surprisingly late for break, but I love when that happens! Our Christmas break this year runs until Jan 9 so we were able to snag a cheapo short cruise, about half what it would have cost a week earlier.

We were one of the people who had our cruise cancelled. Disappointed yes, Now looking for a new cruise for April 2018. Is that spring break time? I hope not!

Most college spring breaks are during March, but grade school breaks usually run later. Ours is in April (the week after Easter). The later in the month you can go, the better.