Wardrobe for October Mediterranean Cruise

cruisinfever

I will be on Jewel of the Seas in two weeks. I have been monitoring the temp on the islands we will be visiting and it looks like it will be in the 60-70's. What type of clothes should I bring, shorts, capris, pants??? Should I wear nylons with my little black dress on formal night? Also we are staying in Rome for a week following our cruise. I was thinking I would wear mostly dark pants for site seeing. Any suggestions? This is our first non caribbean cruise.

I've taken several Med cruises in October and November. The temps you give seem a bit on the low side for what I'd expect at that time of year, but you don't say which part of the Med you'll be visiting. (That would be helpful -- the Mediterranean is a large area!)

My usual "base" wardrobe for days ashore is long cropped pants (e.g., ankle pants) in lightweight material but darker colors (black, navy, taupe), not white or light khaki. (I really like the Chicos Neema line for these basics.... lightweight, hardly wrinkle, wash and dry by hand very well). For tops, my "base" is usually 3/4 sleeve shirts.

Layering is your friend. I always bring both a very lightweight fleece jacket AND a lightweight rain/wind jacket with a hood. Either one can be worn separately, but together they are quite warm. The rain jacket is a must as you are more likely to get a rainy/drizzly day in October/November in the Med.

I will also bring at least 1 or possibly 2 pairs of full-length pants in case it is cooler.

I also recommend TWO good, sturdy pairs of walking shoes. (Because it's good to swap out your shoes and not wear the same ones every day, plus if anything happens to one pair you have a fall back option....)

For Rome, dark colors are good but I again would not assume it's going to be cool. I remember once bringing my new leather jacket -- thinking I'd fit in with the Italians, who all wear their fall gear whether it's hot or cold -- and I took it off after a few hours (too hot) and never put it on again on that trip... :')

A couple of nice coordinating scarves add some style and help you blend in as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. We will be going to Sicily, Mykonos, Santorini, Malta, Athens and Naples. I always bring too much clothes. I am still wondering if I should bring nylons to wear wil by little black dress.

Hi, Cruisemom is right, count on a bit warmer weather than you originally planned. We did pretty much your itinerary in October 2011... I wore black capri length leggings with longer black tank tops (to cover my bottom) & very light weight long cardigans or wraps most days... In Santorini I remember wearing a loose linen top over my tank & having to take it off part way thru the day, too warm! Same in Athens, ended up sleeveless that day too. We did have some rain in Istanbul... not sure if your'e going there, & Mykonos was super windy, but warm. I wore a linen sundress that day. I'd take a good hat that will work in strong sun as well as rain, it's a lot easier than attempting to deal with an umbrella.

As for nylons with your dress, I don't own a pair, but wear what you feel comfortable with.