Carnival Sunshine - Sept 30 - Bermuda ... Hurricane season cruise with a baby?

Gennie36

Hi there,

So... we're a week out from our first cruise. And while I've started to pack for my husband, my 6mo. baby, and myself, I'm terrified that something awful will happen weather-wise.

My husband has been trying to put my mind at ease by telling me that the ship will go around any storms, but I can't help but doubt that-- considering the Caribbean and Atlantic hurricanes these past few weeks.

Does any one have any advice? Can we postpone travel to a non-hurricane season cruise date?

...I can't imagine why I would bring my baby into the middle of the Atlantic when I know there are storms forming that could do serious damage. My mother-in-law guilted us into going, so have to walk a fine line.

Help!

The ships will reroute or cancel the cruise if the weather becomes prohibitive - they will not willingly sail into a severe storm. With all the severe weather recently while many itineraries were rerouted or canceled, not one ship was directly impacted by the storms - they were well away from any issue far in advance. Keep in mind the storms take days - or weeks - to develop and impact an area.

Canceling now to reschedule for a different date will result in financial penalty with most of your money lost. Besides the majority of the cruise season with Bermuda is in the hurricane season - very difficult to schedule around that.I realize the recent hurricane season has been terrible with the significance of the storms that have occurred, but I'm sure you and your family will be safe. This season has been very unusual and unfortunate, but is not at all typical of the normal storm season.

I guess we've been lucky but in over 25 years of cruising (with our young children on many) at all times of the year - including the hurricane season, and with a number of Bermuda itineraries as well - we've never had a hurricane affect any of our itineraries. I hope you enjoy what hopefully will be the first of many cruises!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The number one priority for the cruise line is safety so please do not worry about that.

Should there be an issue the cruise would either be cancelled or rerouted. Rerouting a Bermuda Cruise is a bit more challenging but there certainly are options for that.

Unless there is a major weather event cancelling the cruise would have a financial penalty.

I hope that your weather is perfect and that you have a wonderful time on the cruise.

Keith

Cancelling 1 week before your cruise will cost you all your money you spent on the cruise. The cruise lines do not allow you to change to a different date once you have made final payment.

Yes -- the cruise line will avoid the worst of the storm. You may experience some rough seas for a couple of days. If a hurricane does come towards your embarkation port, the cruise line may cancel your cruise and then you will get your money back.

Even if you bought insurance to cover your cruise, many policies will not give your money back just because you want to cancel the cruise.