YTD - dine as a couple or sit at a large table to meet new people?

CA_Cruzing

This is our first time cruising without family or kids , since 2002. This is also our first time getting YTD . I am excited to have quiet days and times with my husband but wonder if we will be looking to share time with others since we will be together for 5 days. We will probably spend a lot if time together as this is a stay cation for us just to get away. We will see how it goes, we like socializing with others but don't want awkward times either. This time alone is precious and we want to have a good time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree. We find this the best. But Im the talker, my wife is not. Last cruise met a couple who were about 10 years older but our sons were same age. Turns out both are in the Skateboarding business. Our son's in Brooklyn, he in L.A. he's in manufacturing, ours runs a large school and shop. Both now have a great business relationship and happy their dad's are outgoing, lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

What a great story.

Not again! Don't people learn? This could spin in a downward spiral .....

BTW ... When cruising solo, I have mentioned to the MTD that I was open to having others sit with me and another couple did join me. Once I asked the people in front of me ... a very nice couple, if I could sit with them for dinner! It was one of the best dinners and evenings I ever spent. We went to the 'funny' show in one club and then to the theater show immediately after. It was SO enjoyable. I always ate breakfast alone. That is my time.

We enjoy eating at a large table for dinner, During the day, at breakfast and lunch it's often just the 2 of us so we like conversing with others at dinner.

We see dinner in the MDR as part of our evening activities, not just a chore that must be gotten through. :D

With YTD if you try the large group thing and don't like it then ask for a table for 2.

We did the dining time where we sat the same table every night at 6:00 with 2 people who were nice but we had little in common with. I also am spending the entire time with my hubby so I prefer not to sit at a 2 top at dinner too. We always do YTD now and ask for a table with people when we feel like it. One thing I don't know how to ask is, can we sit with a table of somewhat younger people? We are very youthful, active 52 year olds with no children. Hubby is a personal trainer, I work in a large co in IT with millenials. I'm glad to chat with new people but It's often hard to relate to retired folks talking about grandkids. I wish the cruise lines would stop segregating the tables by age. I love diversity.
You sound great. :)

I've always wondered by people think dining in the MDR is "the place" to meet others.

You can do this anywhere on the ship....just start a conversation.

For the "youthful" seniors...go to the gym.

I find it easier to meet people in the buffet....just look for "compatibles".

In the MDR you can be stuck with someone when they is immediate "no interest". It's kind of like a blind date...and you can't wait for it to end.

We LOVE tablemates! Hubby and I are empty-nesters and eat every meal together, 99.9% of the time. It's nice to have others to chat with after 43 years together !

Get a large table...you will have TONS of time to "be alone". Dinner with tablemates is simply more fun. (And, it will give you something to talk about later!!)

It seems to me that the most awkward situation would be at a booth with one other couple that you don't know. A large table with several other people would be more fun.

True. Last cruise sat with one couple who were very odd/strange. I can talk to anyone from a U.S. Senator, to a someone at a homeless shelter. My wife was not happy and wanted to change. Lol, they never showed up again. My DW was mad they ditched us.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We too generally travel with our kids so if we are on a couples adventure the focus is solely on us. Therefore, at dinner we sit alone. There is still plenty of time to talk with others at the bars, tea time and at breakfast in the MDR if we so chose. We just tend to go with the flow and whatever we are in the mood for!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just booked my upcoming 14 nighter last week and travelling solo. DH has health issues so no longer cruises. I have asked to be seated at a table for 8. I once cruises solo in 2013 and was the same scenario

Had fabulous tablemates and went to all the shows with 1 couple. On the second last evening another couple invited us to their cabin for pre dinner cocktails. It was a lot of fun and a great way to meet people. On my upcoming cruise I'm going on a catamaran excursion with 4 others from my roll call.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

We LOVE tablemates! Hubby and I are empty-nesters and eat every meal together, 99.9% of the time. It's nice to have others to chat with after 43 years together !

Get a large table...you will have TONS of time to "be alone". Dinner with tablemates is simply more fun. (And, it will give you something to talk about later!!)

Sounds like us (y)

To those who are uncomfortable - When in doubt introduce the topic of travel ... we find it opens a wealth of conversation.

Table for two for my wife and I. We've tried it the other way and still prefer each other's company to any we have experienced. Not to say that all were bad, though some were, we just really like each other's company and cruising as a couple. It always reminds me of our honeymoon, which was my first cruise. I guess you could say we'll be going on our 14th honeymoon tomorrow! :-)

Great replies, all. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

We were and are planning on mixing it up a few nights.

Between already made dinner reservations and some unplanned evenings, it should work out perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We take what gets us seated quickest unless we really want dinner for two. Sometimes it's faster to sit with a group and sometimes as a couple. We've never had a bad experience with a group; although there are people we wouldn't want to sit with again.

We took our teenagers last year. Our daughter ate every meal with us, so we always did the group. Our son joined us twice. Best night, we sat with a couple from New Zealand and an older gentleman from England and had a blast (even our son). We actually sat with them a second night by chance.

Ultimately it comes down to your personality and your mood that night. I'm an introvert, my wife is an extrovert, but I don't mind sitting with a group.