Chinese new year in hong kong

EDLOS

The Chinese New Year is Feb. 16th, 2018 and the Constellation is scheduled to depart Hong Kong at 5 PM before one of the World's greatest fire works displays goes off.

Do you think anyone at Celebrity knows and is on top of this ????

The Chinese New Year is Feb. 16th, 2018 and the Constellation is scheduled to depart Hong Kong at 5 PM before one of the World's greatest fire works displays goes off.

Do you think anyone at Celebrity knows and is on top of this ????

The fireworks were at 8pm this year - you'll be miles away by then

The fireworks were at 8pm this year - you'll be miles away by then

And very sorry that Celebrity could not see it's way, knowing many months ahead of time, to allow their passengers to view this event. Hopefully I will be proved wrong !

And very sorry that Celebrity could not see it's way, knowing many months ahead of time, to allow their passengers to view this event. Hopefully I will be proved wrong !

Crazy isn't it! They probably did not want to pay the additional port fees for the extra four hours. It will be nice if we get to see the fireworks, but I would not bet on it...

And very sorry that Celebrity could not see it's way, knowing many months ahead of time, to allow their passengers to view this event.

Are you sure? I have a sense that Celebrity might well have anticipated the fireworks event from a guest perspective....

It appears to me that Constellation is arriving in Hong Kong at 7:00 AM on 15 February [Lunar New Year's Eve] and departing Hong Kong at 5:00 PM on 16 February [first day of the Lunar New Year]; I'd considered that cruise... A quick web search suggests that the fireworks spectacular in Victoria Harbour during 2018 will occur at midnight on New Year's Eve [just as fireworks displays for the Gregorian New Year--around the world--tend to be staged on the straddle of 31 December and 1 January local time]...

I did not do the download but did find the following...

http://1234newyear.com/hong-kong-chinese-lunar-new-year-fireworks/491/

Constellation will dock at the relatively new Kai Tak Cruise Terminal--all of the larger ships do--which was built at the site of the former Hong Kong Airport... It's a distance from Victoria Harbour but the cruise terminal's website suggests that it affords views to Victoria Harbour [berth location--it appears to me that Constellation is the only ship scheduled there on 15/16 February 2018--may, I expect, influence view quality]...

When I visited Hong Kong for an overnight while aboard the much smaller Azamara Journey [2014; <700 guests], we did dock right in Victoria Harbour [at the time there was--and perhaps still is--a nightly light show in the Harbour at 8:00 PM] but we were not there coincident with the height of Lunar New Year celebrations [which can, varying by location, last for days and up to two weeks]... We instead had opportunity to celebrate Lunar New Year in Singapore; extremely memorable!

I truly hope that this works out for you ... Seems to me that you might have some research to do over the next few months... Do know that while investigating the Lunar New Year celebrations in Singapore, I found that some of the Asia Tourism websites were not updated for the upcoming event--and still showed dates for the prior year--until a few months prior to the event; be careful in your research as to year references...

Edited by Xport

Are you sure? I have a sense that Celebrity might well have anticipated the fireworks event from a guest perspective....

It appears to me that Constellation is arriving in Hong Kong at 7:00 AM on 15 February [Lunar New Year's Eve] and departing Hong Kong at 5:00 PM on 16 February [first day of the Lunar New Year]; I'd considered that cruise... A quick web search suggests that the fireworks spectacular in Victoria Harbour during 2018 will occur at midnight on New Year's Eve [just as fireworks displays for the Gregorian New Year--around the world--tend to be staged on the straddle of 31 December and 1 January local time]...

I did not do the download but did find the following...

http://1234newyear.com/hong-kong-chinese-lunar-new-year-fireworks/491/

Constellation will dock at the relatively new Kai Tak Cruise Terminal--all of the larger ships do--which was built at the site of the former Hong Kong Airport... It's a distance from Victoria Harbour but the cruise terminal's website suggests that it affords views to Victoria Harbour [berth location--it appears to me that Constellation is the only ship scheduled there on 15/16 February 2018--may, I expect, influence view quality]...

When I visited Hong Kong for an overnight while aboard the much smaller Azamara Journey [2014; <700 guests], we did dock right in Victoria Harbour [at the time there was--and perhaps still is--a nightly light show in the Harbour at 8:00 PM] but we were not there coincident with the height of Lunar New Year celebrations [which can, varying by location, last for days and up to two weeks]... We instead had opportunity to celebrate Lunar New Year in Singapore; extremely memorable!

I truly hope that this works out for you ... Seems to me that you might have some research to do over the next few months... Do know that while investigating the Lunar New Year celebrations in Singapore, I found that some of the Asia Tourism websites were not updated for the upcoming event--and still showed dates for the prior year--until a few months prior to the event; be careful in your research as to year references...

I have done some preliminary research that their big parade and other events are on that Friday. I am going to dig deeper.

I have done some preliminary research that their big parade and other events are on that Friday. I am going to dig deeper.

According to a Post on TripAdvisor Hong Kong Forum, The Night Parade is on Friday, Feb 16th and the Fireworks are on Saturday, Feb 17th. (looks like we miss both leaving at 5 PM on the 16th ) Looked on Hong Kong Tourist website and could not find any specific time info........