Beach Limerz vs Valley Church Beach

menis

We preferred Limerz over Darkwood and Valley Church. We paid as we went. We charged full price for the chairs and umbrella but then it was discounted when we had our lunch. We are not big drinkers so it was cheaper to do that than buying the day pass. The beach is public so you are not required to use their chairs. Remember this is not a resort but a quiet corner of heaven. They quietly come by once in awhile to see if you want a drink. No pressure.

Is the beach very small as the PP asked or could you walk all the way to Millers along the beach, if you wanted? Is it just at one end of Fort St James beach?

Were there any jetskis zooming passed while you were swimming? That was the one thing I disliked about Coconut Grove, at Dickerson.

Do they frown on just putting down a towel instead of pay for chairs/umbrella. Will be going to Antigua in May 2017.

No frown. But "Townes" do appreciate there may be no free use of toilets/facilities. Still "Towles" seem to just use (polute) the sea.

Beach Limerz - from the pictures - looks to be a VERY small beach.....possibly quite rocky. Would those who have been there comment on this please?

Not rocky AT ALL...FLAT sand as you walk into the water. Zero drop off, zero rocks. Pretty much perfection!

Thank you for clarification on the Limerz beach lack of rocks! That is great to know. It looks like a beautiful spot for sure

I am still wondering how small this beach is. From the pictures I have seen, it appears very much so. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just wondering if it stretches further to the side than the pictures show, or it it is in fact limited to the area in pictures posted on this thread. :confused:

Thank you for clarification on the Limerz beach lack of rocks! That is great to know. It looks like a beautiful spot for sure

I am still wondering how small this beach is. From the pictures I have seen, it appears very much so. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just wondering if it stretches further to the side than the pictures show, or it it is in fact limited to the area in pictures posted on this thread. :confused:

For sure the beach is much larger. The pictures only show what it's like right in that area. It's a much longer stretch of sand!

I hope that helps!

For sure the beach is much larger. The pictures only show what it's like right in that area. It's a much longer stretch of sand!

I hope that helps!

Could you also answer if it is just one end of Fort St James beach? Could you walk all the way to Millers along the beach, if you wanted?

Also were there any jet skis zooming passed while you were swimming?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Anther huge vote for Beach Limerz!

I pre-arranged our day at Beach Limerz restaurant and beach with Gail by email for our day trip from our cruise ship in April 2017.

Gail arranged everything for us; a booking at the restaurant, sun loungers on the beach (for a fee) and for a lovely young driver Anthony to pick us up near the port and take us back. Everything went smoothly and we had an amazing day. Gail, her husband Barry and their staff were all really lovely; they greeted us like old friends when we arrived!

The quaint little beach is steps from the restaurant and is just stunning; like something from a postcard. The four of us were the only ones around so it was like a private piece of paradise!

There was a slight swell but the sea wasn’t too rough and it was easy to get in and out of the water, with no sharp drop-off like other beaches in the area. The beach was easy to walk on with no slopes or rocks.

Staff bought cocktails down to the beach for us which was very decadent and made it very easy for us. After time on the beach, we changed in the restaurant bathrooms and had a great lunch in the amazing beach style restaurant overlooking the beach. You can eat inside the restaurant or there are tables outside under umbrellas.

Food and drinks were reasonably priced and the huge burgers were amazing! The restaurant is very clean and well looked after.

Loved this place and would definitely go back!

Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers

Amanda

I have reservations for our trip in early January. Gail has been just great to interact with via email.

I take it Amanda that you chose not to do the full package and just ordered what you wanted? I think that is the direction we will take.

You mentioned that it is a small beach, however it appears on pictures to have the opportunity to walk quite a distance beyond?

Really glad to see your post. Thanks for taking the time.

I have reservations for our trip in early January. Gail has been just great to interact with via email.

I take it Amanda that you chose not to do the full package and just ordered what you wanted? I think that is the direction we will take.

You mentioned that it is a small beach, however it appears on pictures to have the opportunity to walk quite a distance beyond?

Really glad to see your post. Thanks for taking the time.

I wasn't keen on pre paying a deposit for the sun loungers so we reserved them we we got there.

We paid for the sun lounges and paid for drinks and food as we went rather than the AI. Cocktails were equivalent to about $8USD and meals up to about $20USD from memory, so pretty reasonable. They charge in Caribbean currency and the menu is in this too...I didn't realise at first and got a fright when I saw the prices, lol. You can pay in USD.

We paid the driver cash direct.

I am not sure how crowded it gets at times but was quiet when we were there so no prob with sun loungers. Gail will guide you with whether it's best to pre reserve them.

The beach was smallish but the boys walked to the end; it's about a mile and took about 10-15 mins to walk there and back. It's actually a perfect size beach, not tiny but not too huge.

I loved it there; felt like I was in paradise!:)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Amanda

Thank you for this additional. There will be too many ships/passengers in port the day we are visiting so our goal is to get away from all that. :rolleyes: Do you recall if there were multiple ships the day you visited?

Also did you pay taxi in USD? We are hoping to see some of the island first thing in the morning (first time in Antigua) and then travel on to the beach. What was your drive time to the port from Limerz?

Thanks again!

Thank you for this additional. There will be too many ships/passengers in port the day we are visiting so our goal is to get away from all that. :rolleyes: Do you recall if there were multiple ships the day you visited?

Also did you pay taxi in USD? We are hoping to see some of the island first thing in the morning (first time in Antigua) and then travel on to the beach. What was your drive time to the port from Limerz?

Thanks again!

I think we were the only ship in port. I'm sure it's fine to pay a deposit and pre book the loungers. I just chose not to have the hassle of having to give out my credit card number before we left.

You can arrange the driver through Gail for whatever time you want. Gail can even give you a quote for the driver to drive you around a bit first if you like. We were going to do that initially but then decided to go straight to the beach. We had a 10 am pick up and looked at the shops around the meeting point for a while first. We paid in USD cash.

Cheers

Amanda

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Valley Church Beach in 2013. The most beautiful color water I've ever seen. I would go there tomorrow if I could. The Nest restaurant is on site. Not crowded, lots of chairs/umbrellas, easy cab ride from cruise terminal. I can't speak highly enough about this place. 588177cb39cd0a166cf3415a92eaf36c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I loved Antigua last December and am returning this December. If you are a dog lover, consider bringing treats (not dog biscuits, they don't know what they are, something that smells good) as the stray dog problem is depressing. But I do like the people very much, and Gail at Beach Limerz has already been in touch to say their operation is fine.