Galveston flooding

We had a fast moving storm come though this morning, but it was so fast moving the rainfall totals were small. I have not heard of any road closing, especially any major roads. As for Galveston, since it is an island, it rarely floods, the water just drains back into the bay or ocean. The exception is during a hurricane which can flood the island, but that would most likely come from the storm surge, not rain. BTW- - I do not live in Galveston, but in northern Harris County (the county just to the north of Galveston County) about 75 miles from the beach.

Hi Margee:

No major streets flooded that we know of. The City posts street closures on Facebook, nothing yet.

sptrout - we do have flooding in Galveston and, contrary to belief, the water does not drain to the bay side. from the streets but through the storm drains.

Many streets in East End, downtown and mid town flood with heavy rain. We all know which streets not to drive down when there is a moderate rain.

Part of the problem is much of the sewer system is over 100 years old, the other is people dumping grass cuttings and trash down the drains.

So, flooding does occur on the island in many places - exercise caution and be vigilant when driving.

Hi Margee:

No major streets flooded that we know of. The City posts street closures on Facebook, nothing yet.

sptrout - we do have flooding in Galveston and, contrary to belief, the water does not drain to the bay side. from the streets but through the storm drains.

Many streets in East End, downtown and mid town flood with heavy rain. We all know which streets not to drive down when there is a moderate rain.

Part of the problem is much of the sewer system is over 100 years old, the other is people dumping grass cuttings and trash down the drains.

So, flooding does occur on the island in many places - exercise caution and be vigilant when driving.

Thanks for correcting me, I guess I only remember the hurricane related flooding, which gets the big news coverage.

Thanks for correcting me, I guess I only remember the hurricane related flooding, which gets the big news coverage.

Absolutely no problem. Ike's flooding was from the storm pushing water into the bay, then is seeking its own source by coming up on the north side of the island.

Steady rains cause Broadway and many other streets to flood as it just can't drain fast enough. Downtown will flood also as does parts of Ave U and many of the cross street running north - south. The water does drain off, but always takes awhile. Seawall Blvd is probably the only street not subject to flooding due to its height.

Thanks so much Lee and Mary. We are not cruising this week, but our good friends are. Wanted to text them if they needed a heads up before they actually got to the port.

We are looking forward to seeing you in New Jersey in November

Margee

Anyone living in/near the Galveston Port that could let us know the condition of the port, due to flooding? Just curious, as we leave Sunday out of this port.

Houston was pretty much shut down today...

Why is there no water pipeline, to take floodwaters from place that do NOT need it, to California, that DOES need it???? I mean, really....

Edited by cb at sea

OP, Galveston is fine and so are the major roads going from both airports. No worries.:D

We are driving from Dallas to Channelview (suburb), spending the night, and then driving from Channelview to Galveston. If something arises in the next couple of days...PLEASE POST! :eek: I appreciate your information so much!

• 2 years later...

We are on Liberty of the Seas and still waiting to get into port. They are taking great care of us on the ship but not keeping us updated. They keep saying they will not dump us at port if there is no way out but that is not true. As long as Galveston is clear and they can get into port they will dump us on the pier.

There will be no passengers getting on that ship anytime within the next 3 days. Airports are closed till wednesday and Gal is under water. They will likely allow you to stay on ship for a few days at least. Do not try to drive anywhere untill it is safe to do so.

We are on Liberty of the Seas and still waiting to get into port. They are taking great care of us on the ship but not keeping us updated. They keep saying they will not dump us at port if there is no way out but that is not true. As long as Galveston is clear and they can get into port they will dump us on the pier.

Welcome to cruise critic.

Wow first post.

Safe travels to all those affected by this hurricane.

That won't be a good look for RCI if they just dump you off the ship and you still can't get out of the area.

Galveston is NOT under water; all of Houston is!

Yes, we have had a lot of rain, but it drains. Houston area is impassable and will be for days.

You are better off on the ship.

Should they disembark, stay on the island, there are many hotels.

Do not put yourself or anyone else in danger. The situation in Houston is critical.

I can't stress enough how bad - Our son and family were fine last night, now can't leave the Woodlands for higher ground - surrounded by water!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Hate you're having to deal with the destruction for Harvey and that arrangements will be made as soon as it's safe for you to get off the ship.

Yes, we have had a lot of rain, but it drains. Houston area is impassable and will be for days.

Do not put yourself or anyone else in danger. The situation in Houston is critical.

I can't stress enough how bad - Our son and family were fine last night, now can't leave the Woodlands for higher ground - surrounded by water!

Thank you for the update. Hoping to sail out of Galveston in 2 weeks. Sending prayers to all who are impacted.

Houston was pretty much shut down today...

Why is there no water pipeline, to take floodwaters from place that do NOT need it, to California, that DOES need it???? I mean, really....

Sad. It probably because there's not enough money in it.

Thanks for the updates. Can't wait to visit your city in a few weeks.

Thanks for the updates. Can't wait to visit your city in a few weeks.

Today is another story!

Pouring rain all night, most streets north of Seawall are flooded with those nearest in the best condition.

But, it is draining and the storm is moving east to Louisiana - so sorry neighbor:(

The downtown Strand did flood, but do not know the extent. We are 14 blocks south and had street flooding up to the bottom step of our raised house.

Wind still blowing at 36 mph with gusts to 52 mph, but seems rain is letting up. Later this afternoon or tonight will be the earliest to be able to get out to drive around.