Temporary Driver's License with Photo

mulewagon

I'm starting to get nervous as my new driver's license has not arrived yet, and there's only 4 business days left until we have to leave for the cruise.

My temporary license has my photo. Under Unacceptable Documents it says "A temporary driver's license (paperwork without a Photo I.D.)"

Does that mean that my temporary license with photo would be acceptable to board?

I'd call. I'm assuming you lost your old DL? If it's just expired, bring the temporary one, the old one, your birth certificate, and whatever else you can find that has your picture on it. Too late now, but that's why I use a passport--just in case. I'm sorry not to be more helpful.

It sounds like it should be okay since it does have a photo on it. It is a form of ID and as long as it's not expired then it should be fine. I'd probably take another form of ID just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The regulations say a valid government issued photo ID. It does not specify laminated or permanent. You are in possession of a valid government issued photo ID.

This same question was asked on social media yesterday or the day before. While many people posted they didn't think it would work no one was able to post that they personally had been denied There were several that stated they were allowed to use their temporary drivers license. The poster even said they had call Carnival but didn't trust them. She was looking for first hand experience.

Yeah I would assume that it's okay since you can use the temporary ID in a bar or when buying alcohol from a store. The only reason I would bring an extra form of ID just in case is because everyone isn't always up to speed on things and I would hate for them to give you a hard time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I would assume that it's okay since you can use the temporary ID in a bar or when buying alcohol from a store. The only reason I would bring an extra form of ID just in case is because everyone isn't always up to speed on things and I would hate for them to give you a hard time

They can give me all of the hard time that I want as long as they let me on the ship:).

OP, I recall a thread recently where the poster had the same issue and was allowed to board with no issues. As long as the ID has your photo on it and it's valid (i.e. it can be checked through a database, which is what CBP will do while you are cruising) then there should be no issue.

A bar and US Customs and Immigration are two totally different levels.

Indeed they are. But they both require the same proof of identity. No?

But the risk they are taking by accepting a form of ID that may be forged is very different in these two situations. You are talking about a underage person getting a drink vs allowing someone to travel that shouldn't travel to another country, or to travel under a fake name, or possibly allowing a known terrorist on board. Two VERY different things.

Personally, it makes me very wary to think that they are allowing people to board with printed out b&w paper licenses. Those are way to easy to forge. And since it's so easy to get copies of other people's birth certificates if you have the right information, it seems like it would be very easy for terrorists to get on board under another identity. Sorry to say this to the OP, but I would feel safer if you came back and said that they didn't accept it.

Edited by bakersdozen12

But the risk they are taking by accepting a form of ID that may be forged is very different in these two situations. You are talking about a underage person getting a drink vs allowing someone to travel that shouldn't travel to another country, or to travel under a fake name, or possibly allowing a known terrorist on board. Two VERY different things.

Personally, it makes me very wary to think that they are allowing people to board with printed out b&w paper licenses. Those are way to easy to forge. And since it's so easy to get copies of other people's birth certificates if you have the right information, it seems like it would be very easy for terrorists to get on board under another identity. Sorry to say this to the OP, but I would feel safer if you came back and said that they didn't accept it.

It isn't quite as easy as you think it is and DHS vets every passenger during the cruise so if anyone did mess with an ID they would be picked up at disembarkation. The whole idea behind getting ID's and having passport for entry is to prevent terrorists from entering the US. It strains belief that a terrorist would fake a document in order to sneak out of the county in order to sneak back in a few days later. That's the main reason that DHS determined that US citizens on closed loop cruises present a low risk to the national security.

You are being just a little dramatic. First of all, I dont know of any state that issues a black and white temporary paper license however, MOST states have gone to this paper temp license system. Ours in Ga are issued in color on special paper with watermarks and there is absolutely no way to duplicate it. Its an exact duplicate of the permanent license but just on paper. TSA accepts these license without issue as they are considered a valid govt ID and most states have worked it out with them and you can trust and believe that the Port Agents and US Customs are well aware of them too.

OP, I would not expect any problem at all as long as you also have a certified birth certificate and if there is a problem, get a supervisor involved. They will have you onboard the ship in no time.

Edited by ryano

• 1 year later...
I don't know why they would, it's a valid ID and you have your sail and sign card. Might be best not to arrive back at the pier at the last minute, just in case:).

You could be right about that :D. I just wonder if they have seen them before and might question if they are real or not. Sometimes they don't ask for ID with your S&S card, but I've had others really examine my DL. I am curious if it might cause a problem.

You are being just a little dramatic. First of all, I dont know of any state that issues a black and white temporary paper license however, MOST states have gone to this paper temp license system. Ours in Ga are issued in color on special paper with watermarks and there is absolutely no way to duplicate it. Its an exact duplicate of the permanent license but just on paper. TSA accepts these license without issue as they are considered a valid govt ID and most states have worked it out with them and you can trust and believe that the Port Agents and US Customs are well aware of them too.

OP, I would not expect any problem at all as long as you also have a certified birth certificate and if there is a problem, get a supervisor involved. They will have you onboard the ship in no time.

Not at all true

I just renewed my drivers license

Hence getting a lovely black and white temporary license. This is from Massachusetts. It states in bold red letters" Not valid for identification "

My conscience would be the TSA if you are flying as part of your cruise.

If you need to leave the cruise in an emergency, depending where you are going, flights coming home could be even more difficult

Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Forums