CT to Vancouver connect in Toronto

iKarenE

We will be flying from CT to Vancouver with a connection in Toronto through Air Canada. Does anyone know if we will have to get our luggage in Toronto to go through customs or do we pick it up in Toronto. Also how much time as far as layover should we give ourselves in Toronto to pass through Passport Control? Thanks

Is it possibly different for Canadian citizens than for USA (for example)?

We've done this several times in the past 3 years (most recently May, however), and we never saw any board.

When we needed wheelchair assistance, and the routine was the same. The agent didn't mention anything about checking anywhere about that.

Apparently we would have been notified as we cleared through in Toronto if they wanted to see our bags? (No idea if that is accurate.)

Depending on your flight and airline you will either have to go through customs, claim your luggage, leave customs (hopefully without being invited into the little interview room) and then drop your luggage off at the connections luggage drop (just outside customs).

If a few instances (hasn't happened to me yet) you identify your luggage on a screen as you go through customs and if everything is OK it's gets sent along to your connecting flight, otherwise you and your luggage meet in the little interview room. I think this is primarly only when leaving Canada (it has happened to me at Montreal Trudeau Airport).

Depending on the time of day I would recommend 2 hrs between inbound flight arrival and outbound flight departure. Unfortunately in addition to customs, you will have to go through security before getting to your gate.

Here is a link which you may find helpful. https://www.torontopearson.com/Mobile/ConnectingGuide/Detail.aspx?arr=3

Edited by RickT

Thank you for the link. We have 2 hrs and 35 min so sounds like we should be OK

Yes. If you are traveling from the US connecting to Europe, you never actually enter Canada. No "real" Canadian customs, they do a quick passport id check and transfer your bags and then you are in the International Departures Area.

The OP is entering Canada in Toronto. That means you clear Canada customers in Toronto, before making your domestic connection to Vancouver. When you get to customs if it is busy, they will have a separate line for connecting passengers and try to get you processed quickly. You also have the advantage that Toronto to Vancouver is a major domestic route. Air Canada is running some its largest aircraft on this route with flights every 30 minutes to 1 hour. It basically makes it easy for the airline to Add to acomidate on later flights easier.

Yes. If you are traveling from the US connecting to Europe, you never actually enter Canada. No "real" Canadian customs, they do a quick passport id check and transfer your bags and then you are in the International Departures Area.

OK, I missed the obvious that the OP was, literally, entering Canada since their connecting flight was to Vancouver. And they had to change to a domestic flight so have to go through security again.

So since we are just swinging through the airport, if I understand you correctly after we get our quick passport check, we go right into the departure area .... so no need for security again?

OK, I missed the obvious that the OP was, literally, entering Canada since their connecting flight was to Vancouver. And they had to change to a domestic flight so have to go through security again.

So since we are just swinging through the airport, if I understand you correctly after we get our quick passport check, we go right into the departure area .... so no need for security again?

Past the passport check, they might do a security check, but is should be quick. Entire process should be less that 10 minutes. Your in a completely separate stream from the domestic bound passengers. If your coming in and departing in Terminal 1 (which would be the case for AC or star alliance), you want to follow the signs for "E gates". It is a separate customs area from the domestic bound passengers. Baggage is automatically transferred.

Unlike the US, in Toronto the concourse for domestic, US and international are all segregated. That avoids the needs to clear Canadian customs.

Edited by em-sk

Past the passport check, they might do a security check, but is should be quick. Entire process should be less that 10 minutes. Your in a completely separate stream from the domestic bound passengers. If your coming in and departing in Terminal 1 (which would be the case for AC or star alliance), you want to follow the signs for "E gates". It is a separate customs area from the domestic bound passengers. Baggage is automatically transferred.

Unlike the US, in Toronto the concourse for domestic, US and international are all segregated. That avoids the needs to clear Canadian customs.

Perfect!

Thank you very much.

Are you saying that on a flight from the USA to YYZ with an onward connection to YVR there is NO clearing of Canadian "customs" (aka immigration and customs)?

Perhaps if you are going USA - YYZ transfer - International, but I highly doubt that Canadian customs and immigration folks just let pax come from the USA and connect at YYZ without any processing.

Are you saying that on a flight from the USA to YYZ with an onward connection to YVR there is NO clearing of Canadian "customs" (aka immigration and customs)?

Perhaps if you are going USA - YYZ transfer - International, but I highly doubt that Canadian customs and immigration folks just let pax come from the USA and connect at YYZ without any processing.

Hi FlyerTalker

As I read the post, I believe em-sk was directly referring to my situation where we change in YYZ for an international flight. Therefore no Canadian customs.

Hi FlyerTalker

As I read the post, I believe em-sk was directly referring to my situation where we change in YYZ for an international flight. Therefore no Canadian customs.

Correct. I was referring to direct connections to international flights, such as in your case.

If you are making a connection onto a domestic flight (such as the OP), then yes, you need to pass through Canada customs and immigration.

• 7 months later...
Just got back, we did not have to get luggage to go through customs. It was sent directly to our destination of Vancouver!

A few months ago they changed the process for domestic transfers in Toronto. Coming from the US and going to a Canadian destination, the bags are automatically transferred. Major improvement.