Alaska - Good Idea?

melindda

I know that this is a new itinerary for Viking Ocean Cruises so it's a little bit of taking a leap of faith.

We just came back from the Viking Rhine cruise which we loved and I get this idea to do an Alaskan cruise.

We have been thinking about a cruise to Alaska for a while and wondering if this is the one for us. We do prefer smaller ships - can't deal anymore with the major cruise lines - the masses - the waits etc. We have done many Windstar cruises which we love for the size, however Viking does cruising better with the excursions and many other things.

While looking at the options for 2019 - I see that many categories are sold out - so now I'm thinking that it may be a very good idea. However, I do wonder since Viking has never been there - will they do it right - should we consider another line that has more experience? We are currently holding a cabin till Friday so would appreciate any feedback to help us make our decision.

I would not call Tokyo to Vancouver an Alaska Cruise. You'll miss most of the usual towns. You might want to look at Oceania, 684 passenger ship. And yes, the Tokyo cruise is very popular. I've booked it already. But, I've been to Alaska before and want the other stops.

In making your decision, consider how you will be getting between the airport and the ship in Seward. From one comment that I read somewhere here on Cruise Critic, it is not as easy as hailing a cab at the airport (or on the dock) and needs to be planned in advance. With that in mind, it may be worth any extra cost to take whatever Viking is offering for Air and let them getting you between the two.

I believe that Viking will be great on their first cruise to just anywhere in terms of ship, service, canons, on board experience, etc. What I believe is an important consideration on first itineraries are excursions....that is the piece that they truly have not done previously. That doesn't necessarily equate to bad....

So I think a piece of the decision on 'maiden itineraries' has to be how important that part is and/or how flexible one is.....

So that said, we aren't big excursions people. Will we take some, yes. We took Stars maiden voyage two years ago, and we are taking the maiden itinerary in the Amazon, and we can't wait.

I booked that cruise in April (free airfare), but I did wonder same-if I should have gone with a cruiseline with more experience. In the end, the deciding factor was the lack of many negative reviews for the other ships. If they could get it right on their first few voyages, they probably will do Alaska right. Lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I've also been looking at this cruise. I like the fact it visits two of my favourite Alaskan stops, Icy Strait Point and Sitka, and also visits Valdez which few other cruise lines frequent.

We booked for June 2019 and had no hesitation at all. We are doing Vancouver to Seward which I think may be easier. TA told me it was a 3 hour bus ride from Seward to Anchorage to fly home, using Viking Air.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Flagirl13, or anyone else - did your travel agent give you any hints as to which side of the ship for your cabin choice- of course it makes a difference from which way you choose your itinerary.

Flagirl13, would you please explain to me the reason you are going Vancouver to Seward - you said from Seward to Anchorage is 3 hours by bus to fly home. Is that better or worse than ending up in Vancouver. I would think that you will have to deal with the 3 hour bus ride either at the beginning or at the end - or am I missing something. (which would not be the first time) LOL!

Yes, you will have that bus ride regardless but in our case, coming from Fla., I did not want to be flying for many hours, with possible delays, and then having to spend another 3 hours on a bus, hoping we made it in time. On the way home there will not be that sense of urgency, just a little peace of mind for me. To answer the question about cabin choice, you are mostly cruising the Inside Passage and have amazing views no matter what side you're on, it's all good!

I suppose that's if you're going the day before. It stays overnight on our RETURN trip so that doesn't help me for embarkation. Its still going to depart at the stated time on the stated day whether I made it there or not. If I've had travel delays on the way to Seward on the day of sailing it won't matter to me whether it was there the previous night or not. Think about it.

We decided to go for it! We are doing Seward to Vancouver as the date works a little better and we figured we will get the most difficult part over first and have time to recover rather than have a long return home. Not sure which way will work out better - a little bit of a shot in the dark.

Hopefully it will all be worth it!

Many categories are already sold out on all the dates so we figured we had to make a decision while we have options. :hearteyes:

Flight delays can and do happen all the time. Don't want to take that chance. As I understand it, Viking flies you in the day of your cruise. The 1st day of your itinerary would be embarkation day, not the night before, the previous passengers are still on. For us coming from Fla. it's just easier out of Vancouver. Likely not so for everyone.

If you depart from Vancouver, when you arrive in Seward you will have an entire day to explore that port then spend the night on the ship and disembark the next day. If you depart from Seward (via Anchorage) it looks like you just spend the night on the ship before sailing the next day. I agree with you, it appears confusing. Let us know what Viking says.

We saw this itinerary in a Viking brochure and booked it a week later, as the ports are great and we've been wanting to try Viking. We'll disembark in Seward, rent a car and drive around Alaska a week or two. Then we'll take NCL or Princess from Seward back to Vancouver or Seattle. Can't wait!

So, I heard from Viking today, and the ship is in Seward for the first two days. So, you board on day one, and that is your first night of cruise. However, he had no idea yet of the flight times. So, "day 1" could start after the sun goes down! lol

We are booked for the 25th of June, Vancouver to Seward. My DS (Dear Spouse), who has never cruised before, decided to book it for our 20th Anniversary. I have always cruised with my mother and sister, as DS couldn't be talked into going anywhere warm (red hair and fair skin)... but Alaska appealed, so we will be going about 2 years from now! Very excited to experience Viking, but more excited to introduce DS to the joy of cruising! :-)

• 3 months later...
So, I heard from Viking today, and the ship is in Seward for the first two days. So, you board on day one, and that is your first night of cruise. However, he had no idea yet of the flight times. So, "day 1" could start after the sun goes down! lol

We've booked the cruise Vancouver to Seward and the last day of that cruise is spent overnight in Seward. Maybe later cruises change that but it doesnt apply to the cruise after ours.