American Queen April 16th 2018

lightgeezer

Well let's start this forum for the American Queen sailing from New Orleans on April 16th. 2018.

We are Neil and Joan from Leeds in the UK and look forward to meeting you all on this thread and in person.

We are arriving in New Orleans four days prior to setting sail to give ourselves plenty of time to see the sights.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I plan on taking this cruise in Oct 2018. I have never done a river cruise but reading the itinerary, what included and the reviews, it looks like it will be a great cruise. I haven't booked it yet but I hope to soon.

Definitely come back here and let us know how you liked it. Enjoy your April cruise and your stay in New Orleans.:cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I am on the May 1st cruise from Memphis to New Orleans. I have never done a river cruise before only ocean ones so would love some info. Clothing? Do you dress up for dinner?What do you think of adding premium excursions? Which are a good addition. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

We have done this trip (and a number of other itineraries on the AQ) and have recently booked the Mighty Mississippi trip for next year. It is not formal at all...nice business casual or "country club casual" is the attire of most passengers. We love the hop-on, hop-off buses that let you stop where you want and skip anything you have no particular interest in. We have only done one premium excursion, and that was Vicksburg because my husband has great interest in the Civil War and history in general. It is a wonderful, relaxing way to travel and we cannot wait to be back aboard! (PS - if you want early dining book that right away. One trip we were not able to get an early reservation so ate all of our dinners at the Front Porch. No great hardship, but the dining room is very nice).

Thanks for your reply. Additional information is always helpful. We are booked for late setting. We prefer that which I guess is good on the boat. We like extra time in late afternoon early evening to relax and not feel rushed for dinner. Where was your cabin on the boat? We are on 3 Texas deck, toward back . When we booked friends we are traveling with wanted a private balcony so that is where we are. Thanks again for the information

We've been on Decks 3,4 and 5. Various categories from C to AA., always with an open veranda because we like to watch the world stroll by. Deck 3 is definitely the most convenient in terms of the Front Porch and proximity to the dining room and public rooms. Our next trip will be in a "B" cabin on deck 4. A bit bigger than the C cabins, but in truth there is no great size differential between categories until you get to the really top ones. You are going to love it!

Well let's start this forum for the American Queen sailing from New Orleans on April 16th. 2018.

We are Neil and Joan from Leeds in the UK and look forward to meeting you all on this thread and in person.

We are arriving in New Orleans four days prior to setting sail to give ourselves plenty of time to see the sights.

Having just watched the Jane MacDonald programme this one is now on my bucket list! Please do a review on your return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are on the August 20th cruise going the entire length! We are so excited.

Anyone else on that trip?

Looking at excursions and have decided to pretty much go it alone...if we can do that in South America we can certainly do that up the Mississippi.

Gail and Russell Lee

Cupertino CA

Yes, we are on the 20 Aug cruise for the entire trip. We actually booked 3 things with AQ. The Angola Prison tour, the Vicksburg battlefields and the MN/STP tour and transfer to the airport. I could not find a way to the airport on our on so booked them and to kill time before the flight will take a look at the twin cities! You are the first folks in a long while to post. Not much action here, like on ocean boards. Our 1st stateside river cruise so really looking forward to seeing parts of the country not seen by us before. See you on the riverboat! Rick and Joyce:p

Hey Rick and Joyce,

We live 20 miles south of you. Too bad we didn’t book the same trip - we could carpool to the airport! We did the upper stretch of the Mississippi - St Paul (actually Red Wing) to St Louis - about 10 years ago. Wonderful, laid back experience. Fun to see parts of the country we were not familiar with “up close and personal”. Folks from the towns would gather on the bank as we docked and wave us off as we departed. Also interesting to have an all-American crew. This fall we’re going to finish the river with a back to back trip, St Louis to Memphis then on to New Orleans. Our trip dates are Sept 23 to Oct 8. Yes, it would be great to see more activity on this board. Would like to hear from others we may be traveling with.

Hey Rick and Joyce,

We live 20 miles south of you. Too bad we didn’t book the same trip - we could carpool to the airport! We did the upper stretch of the Mississippi - St Paul (actually Red Wing) to St Louis - about 10 years ago. Wonderful, laid back experience. Fun to see parts of the country we were not familiar with “up close and personal”. Folks from the towns would gather on the bank as we docked and wave us off as we departed. Also interesting to have an all-American crew. This fall we’re going to finish the river with a back to back trip, St Louis to Memphis then on to New Orleans. Our trip dates are Sept 23 to Oct 8. Yes, it would be great to see more activity on this board. Would like to hear from others we may be traveling with.

We will rent a car and drive to N.O. the day before the cruise starts, an ocean/European river cruise habit. Have met several folks who missed the start of their cruise due to late arrival of flights. Would have loved to share a ride home from the airport on return! We are really looking forward to this cruise. Was in the Army and saw a lot of the world but have seen little of our own country. It should be fun and exciting! Enjoy your cruise! Rick and Joyce

Re missing the boat - if we ever run into each other in this neck of the woods, we’ll tell you about being picked up on the side of the Columbia river at midnight by the American Empress. Partially explains why we don’t fly American Airlines! That’s another river trip we highly recommend especially for those with no experience in that part of the country.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 months later...

We are on the cruise after you from Memphis to New Orleans so look after the boat for us

We're on the May 6th sailing. Memphis to New Orleans. So excited! We also saw the Jane McDonald program and promptly booked the tour to see Ginger's amazing house [emoji16]

We've been ocean cruising since the early eighties but this is our first river cruise. We're celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and this trip ticked all the boxes!

Hi, We are not on your sailing, but will be on the American Queen on May 27th. We would love to hear of your experiences and insights when you return. Have a great trip!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk