Thanksgiving 2018 is my friend correct (have I done a dunb thing).

Ms Jo UK

We have boked a cruise out of New Orleans departing November 25th 2018, but will probably fly from the UK on 22nd. My friend is convinced I have chosen a bad time as this will be thanksgiving and we will be paying a hefty premium for hotels for those 3 days. Is she correct and should I prepare myself for a sticker shock?

There is a big football game (Bayou Classic) in New Orleans on 11/25. This will effect hotel prices and minimum stay. You may also find some dining limitation on Thanksgiving day. Many of the restaurants are closed, and the ones open often offer only a fixed-price menu.

I took a quick look at hotel rates for Thurs-Sun the week of Thanksgiving this year and just checking Hilton brands rates ran from $165-190 ave per night. Right now you can see dates through early July 2017 so in about 4 months you should be able to see Nov 2018. If you book as early as you see rooms available on any of the hotel booking websites, you will probably get the best pricing as compared to what you may see three-four months ahead of your dates. If you check out the New Orleans tourist commission website there are often deals there that you might see for the dates you need rooms and you might be able to see which restaurants will be open this Thanksgiving Day. NOLA is such a tourist town I would think you'd find quite a few places open on Thanksgiving Day and most full service hotels have there main restaurants almost never close.

I took a quick look at hotel rates for Thurs-Sun the week of Thanksgiving this year and just checking Hilton brands rates ran from $165-190 ave per night. Right now you can see dates through early July 2017 so in about 4 months you should be able to see Nov 2018. If you book as early as you see rooms available on any of the hotel booking websites, you will probably get the best pricing as compared to what you may see three-four months ahead of your dates. If you check out the New Orleans tourist commission website there are often deals there that you might see for the dates you need rooms and you might be able to see which restaurants will be open this Thanksgiving Day. NOLA is such a tourist town I would think you'd find quite a few places open on Thanksgiving Day and most full service hotels have there main restaurants almost never close.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, with this very useful information

There is a big football game (Bayou Classic) in New Orleans on 11/25. This will effect hotel prices and minimum stay. You may also find some dining limitation on Thanksgiving day. Many of the restaurants are closed, and the ones open often offer only a fixed-price menu.

Thanks for the heads up