U.S. Passport Renewal Processing Time as of 6/29/17

Fathom5

My wife received her newly renewed passport today (6/29/17). The application was mailed on 6/16/17 via USPS Priority Mail, with routine processing requested. I was impressed with the quick turnaround time. I don't know if this is typical or not, but here's a data point if anyone is interested.

David

My wife received her newly renewed passport today (6/29/17). The application was mailed on 6/16/17 via USPS Priority Mail, with routine processing requested. I was impressed with the quick turnaround time. I don't know if this is typical or not, but here's a data point if anyone is interested.

David

Much better than my experience. I mailed my application towards the end of January via standard mail. They rejected my photo (advice - don't take your own photo! They are very picky.). It took them about 4 weeks to reject my photo. I immediately went and had a new photo taken and sent it in via standard mail. My application then languished for over a month. I started getting nervous as I had a cruise planned in early April. I started calling to ask what was going on. I finally received my passport at the end of March - about 10 weeks after submitting the renewal.

Thanks for sharing, Fathom5! Just to add to the mix, my daughter's passport application was submitted from our local (small-town) post office on June 3 and we had it in hand by this past Saturday (June 24). This was a standard application for a child with no paperwork issues, your mileage may vary.

We put in a separate renewal application for my stepdaughter on June 24, with expedited service because we were worried about not getting it in time for our August sailing. Hoping to have that one in hand soon.

Thanks for these postings. I just went online to check in for our September cruise and while entering the passport info, realized that DW's passport expires 2 days after we sail. :o Putting the renewal paperwork in the mail tomorrow. We used our local Walgreen's for the photo so hopefully no issues there. Good to know that she should get it back with plenty of time to spare.

Thanks for these postings. I just went online to check in for our September cruise and while entering the passport info, realized that DW's passport expires 2 days after we sail. :o Putting the renewal paperwork in the mail tomorrow. We used our local Walgreen's for the photo so hopefully no issues there. Good to know that she should get it back with plenty of time to spare.

At least you would have gotten on the ship, that's really all that matters, right?! Coming back to real life is overrated! ;)

I put mine in the mail on Monday (6/26) standard delivery. I'm hoping to get it back by the latest end of July. I have a Cruise book for mid August. Like the other poster said I too always use Walgreens without any problem. This is my third renewal.

Fathom5 where did your wife mail hers to? I sent mine to TX. I know depending on where you live some people mail to Philadelphia. Just wondering if one processing center is quicker than the other. Thx

Fathom5 where did your wife mail hers to? I sent mine to TX. I know depending on where you live some people mail to Philadelphia. Just wondering if one processing center is quicker than the other. Thx

It was mailed to Philadelphia. The new passport envelope had a Charleston, S.C. return address.

My wife and I renewed our passports early April and had them back in 11 days. I too was amazed. Hint: multiple renewals can go in the same envelope but require separate checks.

We went to our post office to renew our sons passport and had them review our passport renewals. They told us to write one check and put them in the same priority envelope (our renewals not our childs). They cashed the check today so here's hoping we are good to go since it was just one check!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I went to the county clerks office (5 mins from my house) they took my picture there and sent my application in. Received it back in two weeks. We are in NJ so I figured it would be processed in NY or Philly. It came back from Maine. DH sent his in the following week and also took about 2 weeks.

This is good news for us since we will be cutting it close getting my daughters this fall I hope it continues! Contacting her father for a signature would be tough but she turns 16 twelve weeks before our cruise so I can do it with just my signature. Even if not she will travel with her BC as she has before but it would be nice to get her passport in time.

David

That is good news. When I first got my passport renewed for cruising in 2006, the process was still real slow because of Hurricane Katrina (reportedly) and it took 12 weeks. I renewed in 2016 and it took 3 weeks. Glad to hear this.

My husband sent his renewal in late April or early May and it took about 3.5 weeks. I did mine a couple of years ago (end of summer I think) and it took 2 weeks. It really depends on if there's a surge in renewals which happens a month or two before summer in particular which is why I think it took my husband's longer. I think, unless there are issues, you can pretty much be sure you'll get it in 2-3 weeks.

Also, we had our photos taken at CVS. It's not expensive and they have the template.

David

That is great, my renewal is still processing now on week 7

Has anyone had recent experience with getting a new passport after the old one expired? My future DIL let hers lapse and I was just wondering the process time. She sent it out one week ago and we have a cruise near the end of September. Not too concerned, just wondered.