Mariner of the Seas, Singapore, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh

radiancecruiser

We are Australian citizens, flying from Melbourne to Singapore, cruising to Ho Chi Minh City and Bangkok, and back to Singapore, in Feb 2018 on Mariner of the Seas, RCI.

This will be our first cruise outside of Australia, having only done a few Sth Pacific cruises in recent years.

We will have a couple of days in Singapore, staying at the Village Hotel Albert Court, either side of the cruise.

We have also booked the Cu Chi Tunnel tour with RCI for our day in Ho Chi Minh.

We are considering just doing a one day, basic Bangkok "On Your Own" tour with RCI. As we are travelling on a budget, we would rather not do an overnight stay in Bangkok.

Can anyone please give me any further useful information about these ports of call? Any suggestions? Visas/vaccines?

It's just going to be my hubby and I. We're pretty excited about this trip, so would rather not hear the negatives...just positive suggestions about how to get the most from our holiday.

Thank you 😊

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

If you have not been to Ho Chi Minh city previously I would strongly recommend doing a city tour rather than Chi Chi tunnels.

Thank you. I am very much inclined to agree with you.

The reason for this tour is that prior to booking this cruise, we were seriously considering doing a land based guided tour of Vietnam. DH had been told that the tunnels were fascinating and one of the highlights of the trip. It's one of the things that he is especially interested in seeing.

We decided against the guided tour as we were a bit turned off by the rigid nature of being tied to a group for our entire holiday.

So we went with the Asian cruise, and kept the tour to the tunnels.

So I really do appreciate why you would suggest that, but I think my DH is pretty keen for Cu Chi. 😊

We haven't cruised to Bangkok and HCMC but have been on land tours there 4 times and 2 times respectively. Just some miscellaneous thoughts:

Bangkok's main tourist sites (palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun) are fairly easy to do manually IMO. You need to dress "appropriately" at a number of sites (no knees and shoulders exposed). Khao San Road (backpacker district) is also in the vicinity.

Bangkok has Uber which is a cheaper/somewhat better option than the taxis. However, traffic is sometimes crazy so other public transport like the skytrain or water bus might be better options in some instances, though coverage isn't the greatest.

The markets are fun. Chatuchak, Rod Fai Night Market, etc.

A lot of the places get hopping at night.

Great food. Too many choices to recommend without specifics.

Taxis are really cheap in HCMC but you should be taking Mai Linh or Vina Sun only. Uber is also an option.

The markets are kind of fun.

Most tourists hang out in District 1 (business district) but you can find some interesting market areas if you head further out. Need to do your research though.

Again, a lot of places get hopping at night like the Bui Vien pub street area. Tours out of the city during the day isn't a bad idea.

Also great food with too many choices to recommend without specifics.

I have written comments about the Cu Chi tunnel complex having visited there on a number of occasions since 1989.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, it has decended into a purely money making venture and the actual time you will spend inside a enlarged section of the tunnel will be about 10 minutes at the most. On my last trip with my son and ex Vietnam Vet mate, their time was about 5 minutes.

Yes you will get a talk about booby traps etc that will not take too long.

The main attraction seems to be the firing range, where for a fee, you can get to fire military weapons and the souvenir shops of course.

Most of the tour will be spent visiting the obligatory shopping stops that cruise lines tours insist on building into their tours but you will see a bit of the country side on the long trip to and from Phu My.

I agree that if you have not been to Vietnam before then for just a day focus on Saigon - very vibrant city, rapidly changing and enough to see in one day with walking about to the main attractions etc.

There is a small tunnel complex near Phu My (Baria) which is worth a visit for an hour or so and the tunnels there are full size so easy to access and walk through. You would need to preorganise transport to visit these tunnels but if Phu My for a 1/2 day - would be worthwhile.

I hate the be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately I have to tell it as I see it

No, that's ok, and thank you.

To be honest, I think that we will still do the tunnel tour. It will be good to just be able to say that we have seen them. Apart from a few Sth Pacific cruises, we have never been out of Australia. So just seeing and experiencing new things is nice, even if they're not as fantastic as they should be.

Also, we will be spending time in both Singapore and Bangkok, so the rural drive to the tunnels might actually be enjoyable.... I've never seen a rice paddy in my life....😂😂

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

To be honest, I think that we will still do the tunnel tour. It will be good to just be able to say that we have seen them. Apart from a few Sth Pacific cruises, we have never been out of Australia. So just seeing and experiencing new things is nice, even if they're not as fantastic as they should be.

Also, we will be spending time in both Singapore and Bangkok, so the rural drive to the tunnels might actually be enjoyable.... I've never seen a rice paddy in my life....😂😂

Look out for the ATM, located in the middle of a rice paddy as you drive around - yes that is progress in Vietnam, a country that has seen the worst and is rapidly changing for the better - I think!!

Are you serious??😲

Prepare for culture shock! Going through the roundabouts on the way to Cu Chi is "interesting", I saw buffalo pulling wagons, women with yoke over shoulders carrying grain, lots of rice paddies. On my shore tour with Princess, we stopped at a truck stop for rest break and a local restaurant for lunch, no shopping.

At Cu Chi there is a definite bias and resentment towards Americans, in their introductory video. who can blame them. I found staff quite rude and unwilling to help. Big focus on the shooting range, I didn't go there.

The most interesting thing I saw was a woman who tried to go through one of the trapdoor entries. She was advised by the guide not to and she got stuck! Took her husband and about 4 Vietnamese gentlemen to get her out.

I think it is worth going to, in October I am going to the Long Tan memorial site on a day tour, I have been to Saigon, definitely worth seeing.

Enjoy your time, go with an open mind, and don't expect things to be the same as Australia.

Be aware Bangkok is about an hour from the port depending on traffic, please check google for exact times.

Prepare for culture shock! Going through the roundabouts on the way to Cu Chi is "interesting", I saw buffalo pulling wagons, women with yoke over shoulders carrying grain, lots of rice paddies. On my shore tour with Princess, we stopped at a truck stop for rest break and a local restaurant for lunch, no shopping.

At Cu Chi there is a definite bias and resentment towards Americans, in their introductory video. who can blame them. I found staff quite rude and unwilling to help. Big focus on the shooting range, I didn't go there.

The most interesting thing I saw was a woman who tried to go through one of the trapdoor entries. She was advised by the guide not to and she got stuck! Took her husband and about 4 Vietnamese gentlemen to get her out.

I think it is worth going to, in October I am going to the Long Tan memorial site on a day tour, I have been to Saigon, definitely worth seeing.

Enjoy your time, go with an open mind, and don't expect things to be the same as Australia.

Be aware Bangkok is about an hour from the port depending on traffic, please check google for exact times.

Thank you. The different culture is exactly what I want to see! The only problem now is that I wish we were spending more time in Vietnam!😅

I'd also suggest the tunnels near Phu My - they are supposedly much more authentic than the Cu Chi tunnels and much easier to get to. You could also consider doing a tour to Vung Tau (in the same general area) which was the place to go for Aussie and US military for their R&R during the Vietnam War. In actual fact, this is also the general area of Long Tan and the base of all the Aussie troops.

We did a tour with an Aussie and his Vietnamese wife (Paul and Sen) and Paul's explanations of the vietnamese way of life was outstanding, and we loved Vung Tau. It was a great tour! We also did the Long Phuoc tunnels (with a different tour operator a previous trip) but not having done Cu Chi can't give a comparison.

You will see rice paddies etc with them, they may take you past all the salt farms and you will enjoy the best iced coffee you've ever had and a most delicious meal - guaranteed!

They have a website and if you google Best Tour in Vietnam you will get to it. However, looks like they are doing some work on their website at the moment ....

Paul's email is

cleardot.gif 2paulrowe@gmail.com

and Sen's is

SenInVungTau@gmail.com

if you think you might like to contact them.

Thank you so much for all the information!

There are 3 RCI options for visiting Ho Chi Minh City.... Panoramic, On Your Own, or Highlights. Which one would be best?

I don't know which one would be best for you but we did "On Your Own" in December 2016. We took the ship transport to the Bitexo building in Saigon. We jumped into a cab and went to the War Remnants Museum ( which closed early, hence the first stop). From there we walked back past many of the historic sites - the cathedral, the Post Office (designed by Eiffel), the Rex Hotel, the City Hall and off toward the main market. We stopped for Pho along the way and again for traditional Vietnamese Coffee. We didn't leave enough time for the Market, but friends said it was very traditional and excellent. Then walked back to the Bitexo building to meet our transport back to Phu My .

I look forward to returning soon, hopefully! Enjoy your trip.

I think you should do whichever option will give you the most information, a great tour guide will really bring the sites to life, and the smallest group. The classic tourist stops are interesting. The lacquer ware factory is OK and very good shopping (if you want a piece). A 'water puppet" show also fun to see.

I'm much more positive about Cu Chi than Bpos.

The real interest is the background and examples of how they resisted the invaders - Aussies as well as Americans. Things like hidden sunken kitchens & how to disguise the smoke from them, the gory man-traps, the ingenious ways they put US stores to good use, and the entrances to the original tunnels - note Gwendy's comment about the woman who got stuck, and yes our guide had to stop one idiot in our group who wanted to go down.

The narrowness of the tunnels was their defence - most US soldiers wouldn't fit in them, and those who did would encounter booby-traps.

So don't expect to explore an original tunnel. The one you go down may or may not be in an original location, but it's been made big enough for fat tourists so it's hardly authentic :rolleyes:

Cheaper to stay at home & dig your own tunnel.

Yes, a lot of folk like to end their day loosing off a few rounds on the rifle range. You choose to or you choose not to.

We're Brit, but we didn't notice any rudeness or hostility to Americans. All we saw of that was a small degree of smug "we won" one-up-manship much further north in former "North Vietnam".

But I do agree that Saigon should take precedence over Cu Chi.

War Remnants museum, Re-unification Hall, Post Office, Notre Dame, Ho Chi Minh museum, Ben Thahn covered market are all walkable, though crossing the streets is errrrrr .............. an adventure :eek:.

And the water puppets are good entertainment, if you have time.

Bangkok.

Travel time from Laem Chabang port is at least 90 minutes, but allow a bare minimum of 2 hours, preferably 2.5, for the return to the ship because of potential traffic snarl-ups. Do fix up transportation in advance, whether that's ship's or a private transfer - the taxis at the port are in a cartel and will screw those who have no choice but to use them.

Do re-consider whether to overnite in the city. Hotels are cheap (well, mebbe not the ones on the river), you save the time & cost of repeating your journey, and you get to experience Bangkok at night.

Yes, in the city use the river ferries and the skytrain. But for street travel the tuk-tuks are quicker, cheaper and lots of fun. But do get plenty of advice about negotiating with them before you barter or you'll end up at the driver's brothers woodcraft shop or mother's jewellery workshop or cousin's carpet shop :rolleyes:

All just MHO as always

JB :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just found this thread & I'm on the same cruise as Radiance Cruiser, who I have already had brief introductions with on the roll call!

I'm extremely interested in all the information provided as we are now starting to put plans together to maximise our short time in Vietnam & Bangkok. RC my husband also was very interested in doing the tunnel trip, but after reading everyone's experiences here, I am going to over rule him & go for a city tour of Saigon. I would imagine it will be our only time ever in Vietnam so I want to experience as much as possible. :)

Wow....not so excited anymore....

Everyone gets a different experience and if you want to see the tunnels, go see them. Otherwise you will always say "I wish we had....." Make sure you have your camera in hand - it will certainly be an experience for you. Enjoy.

Diane

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone gets a different experience and if you want to see the tunnels, go see them. Otherwise you will always say "I wish we had....." Make sure you have your camera in hand - it will certainly be an experience for you. Enjoy.

Diane

Thank you. We have decided to stick with the tunnels. I expect that we may decide to visit Vietnam on a land based holiday at some point in the future, so there will be opportunity to see more then.😎

Thank you. We have decided to stick with the tunnels. I expect that we may decide to visit Vietnam on a land based holiday at some point in the future, so there will be opportunity to see more then.[emoji41]

Good on you

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk